Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 5.5mm nut driver for cordless screwdriver?

I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the
latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D
connector jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so far....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft,
for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and
6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm,
which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I take it you must have one with a shaft attached? 5.5mm is easy enough to
find as a socket - perhaps you could get one of those and superglue it to
an extension?

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the
latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D
connector jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so far....

They are very rare. I tend to buy a 1/4 sq drive socket as a spare part
from a quality brand. You would also need a 1/4" sq to hex adaptor but
there might be one of those in your set anyway.
I don't know why 5.5a/f gets overlooked by those who put sets together.
5mm a/f is the standard nut size for M2.5 threads.
6mm a/f is non standard but always present in sets.

An ideal set would be 5mm, 5.5mmm 7mm, 8mm and 10mm for m2.5, m3, m4 and
m5, m6 threads respectively
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive
shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm
and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then
5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so
far....

You mean like this?

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=1869

or this?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=28165

Do you not have Google installed on your pc?

I suppose you do realise you can buy generic 1/4" square shaft drive nut
drivers and then just use any socket out of a 1/4" set with them? Every 1/4"
socket set I've ever seen has a 5.5mm socket in it.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:31:44 -0000, "Dave Baker" wrote:

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive
shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm
and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then
5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so
far....

You mean like this?

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=1869

That's a handheld nut driver, not a hex-shaft driver bit.

or this?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=28165

Ditto

Do you not have Google installed on your pc?

Since when did you need to install google....

I suppose you do realise you can buy generic 1/4" square shaft drive nut
drivers and then just use any socket out of a 1/4" set with them? Every 1/4"
socket set I've ever seen has a 5.5mm socket in it.

Yes but these tend to be a bit wobbly, and the length makes it less ergonomic when dealing with
small nuts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the
latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D
connector jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so far....

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=1869
https://www.buckandryan.co.uk/product.php/section/3026/sn/TRESNAP%2FND%2F55M
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Accessory%20Sets%20Makita&product= 95122

A few ideas. At least one would be a major christmas present... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:31:44 -0000, "Dave Baker"
Do you not have Google installed on your pc?

Since when did you need to install google....

Whooosh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Baker wrote:
Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive
shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm
and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then
5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so
far....

You mean like this?

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=1869

or this?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=28165

Those are nut drivers - not really what's asked for, I think.

If I've got it right it's a 5.5mm socket but with a hex drive shaft
attached - I have seen them.

Do you not have Google installed on your pc?

I suppose you do realise you can buy generic 1/4" square shaft drive nut
drivers and then just use any socket out of a 1/4" set with them? Every
1/4" socket set I've ever seen has a 5.5mm socket in it.

But it's a hex drive required - possibly to fit an electric screwdriver.
And on basic small socket sets the 5.5mm is usually absent.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:31:44 -0000, "Dave Baker" wrote:

SNIP

Do you not have Google installed on your pc?

Since when did you need to install google....

SNIP
You may not have to install Google, but you have to know how to use it.
This first thing anyone should do with Google is set your preferences.

Set the Filtering to "Do not filter my search results"

Set the number of results to 50 or 100

And tick the Open search results in a new window.

Save preferences.

Now see how well Google works.

Also use """" inverted comers.

do a search for nut driver and then try "nut driver"

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Baz wrote:
Do you not have Google installed on your pc?

Since when did you need to install google....

SNIP
You may not have to install Google, but you have to know how to use it.
This first thing anyone should do with Google is set your preferences.

Set the Filtering to "Do not filter my search results"

Set the number of results to 50 or 100

And tick the Open search results in a new window.

Save preferences.

Now see how well Google works.

Also use """" inverted comers.

do a search for nut driver and then try "nut driver"

'Nut driver' will probably bring up thousands of the wrong thing. If you
read the original post, he's already tried the most likely places for what
he actually wants - not what someone else thinks he needs. ;-)

--
*I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

5.5mm = 7/32", which might or might not help (5.55mm to be precise,
which is more than close enough).

If all else fails you could very firmly jam a convertor into a socket
with a slip of something.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Baz wrote:
[...]

"nut driver" brings up only 1/4 million, where nut driver brings up over a
million.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:02:20 +0000, Mike Harrison
wrote:

I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the
latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D
connector jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so far....

There are plenty of 5.5mm nut spinners out there.
Sockets not so many but

http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sec=prod&prod=8803
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:02:20 UTC, Mike Harrison
wrote:

I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the
latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D
connector jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

For years now I've been using a 1/4 inch square drive socket fixed to
the end of a 1/4 inch screwdriver style handle. Dedicated - the two
never part company!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive
shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm
and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then
5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so
far....

If you can find somewhere selling individual sockets you could use
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17228/...LZYACSTHZOSFFQ
to adapt 1/4" 3/8" or 1/2" drive sockets to hex drive.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft,
for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and
6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm,
which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I take it you must have one with a shaft attached? 5.5mm is easy enough to
find as a socket - perhaps you could get one of those and superglue it to
an extension?

Superglue! Duh! Maybe he should use a nail instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive
shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm
and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then
5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so
far....

You mean like this?

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=1869

or this?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=28165

Those are nut drivers - not really what's asked for

It says "nut driver" in the topic. Duh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Those are nut drivers - not really what's asked for

It says "nut driver" in the topic. Duh!

'Nut driver for cordless screwdriver' moron.
Not that you'd know the difference.
Take a course on how to read more than two words...

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft,
for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and
6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm,
which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I take it you must have one with a shaft attached? 5.5mm is easy enough to
find as a socket - perhaps you could get one of those and superglue it to
an extension?

Superglue! Duh! Maybe he should use a nail instead.

As Longinus said when Jesus fell off the cross

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/7/f...b29f4ffbff0f.j
pg

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Those are nut drivers - not really what's asked for

It says "nut driver" in the topic. Duh!

'Nut

Please eff off as you are an idiotic plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
5.5mm = 7/32", which might or might not help (5.55mm to be precise,
which is more than close enough).

If all else fails you could very firmly jam a convertor into a socket
with a slip of something.

NT

There's one in the woolworths set with lots of drill bits and other
bits n pieces. Its marked 7/32, which is 5.55mm. Reduced from £20 to
£4.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:24:45 GMT, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive
shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm
and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the latter must be more commonly needed then
5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D connector
jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so
far....

why do I always forget looking in the really obvious place.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250326111905

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:11:28 -0000, "Baz"
wrote:

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:31:44 -0000, "Dave Baker" wrote:

SNIP

Do you not have Google installed on your pc?

Since when did you need to install google....

SNIP
You may not have to install Google, but you have to know how to use it.
This first thing anyone should do with Google is set your preferences.

Set the Filtering to "Do not filter my search results"

Set the number of results to 50 or 100

And tick the Open search results in a new window.

Save preferences.

Now see how well Google works.

Also use """" inverted comers.

Are they similar to "all comers" ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mike Harrison wrote:
I'm looking for a 5.5mm nut driver bit with a standard hex-drive shaft, for doing up M3 nuts.

For some bizarre reason all the sets I've found typically have 5mm and 6mm but not 5.5mm - the
latter must be more commonly needed then 5mm, which AFAIK is only used for M3 threaded spacers and D
connector jackscrews....

Anyone found a 5.5mm in a set anywhere?

I've looked at B&Q, RS,Farnell,Rapid,Halfords,CPC & Screwfix so far....

Happened to notice a drill & screwdriver bit set in Screwfix that has a
5.5mm nut driver (and every whole number between 5 and something like
12). (And many, many odd screwdriver bits, spirit level, hole saws, etc.)

It is the Makita kit that was being sold at around 20-00 recently - and
IIRC as a freebie with some drill or other. But I cannot now find it on
the SF site.

Ah - yes I can. (Odd, couldn't find it by searching just now.)

Item number 96659 - Makita P-67832 101 Piece Accessory Kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96659/Drill-Bits/Drill-Bit-Sets/Combination-Sets/Makita-P-67832-101-Piece-Accessory-Kit

--
Rod

onset.