Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Surplus tools

"robert" wrote in message
Steve Firth wrote:
Adrian wrote:

I s'pose it depends on your area, but when I gave up on 'em, there was

general air of pikey ****-taking scrounge about every single one of the
lists around this way.

The one for my area featured requests such as "Looking for a free PC
must be 2.6GHz Dual Core with minimum of 2GB RAM. Don't bother replying
if hard drive is smaller than 320GB." and "Wanted Inflatable Dinghy with
outboard engine, minimum 20 bhp, must be in good condition no patches.
Will consider anyone who can transport it to my home."

Oh how I laughed.

Good moderators should remove/reject such postings.

Yep. My wanted advert which said "Arrogant ******* wants money for nothing"
was removed.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:25:52 -0000, Tim Downie wrote:

We don't allow sob stories (although we can't stop some getting through).

I now filter any Freecycle posts that begin with "Wanted". It's better than
being irked at the cheek of some people.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:
Mainly to try to cut down people spamming the newsgroup, putting up
contact details of someone else along with highly desirable items,
offering very unsuitable items, scams - and much worse things that I'm
sure you can imagine.
The centralised control by the none-too-gifted Deron is not one of
Freecycle's most positive aspects - but all the local group moderators
I've met throughout the Fenland and East Anglia area of been very well
motivated people that want to impose the minimum of overheads to make
the local groups work successfully and keep the nuisances out. But
remember, they are but a very few volunteers giving up some of there
time - they do their best with the resources available to them.

I tried joining the Farnborough one a couple of times a
couple of years back, and never got any response.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 11, 1:49*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *Man at B&Q wrote:

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

That doesn't make sense.
You've already expended more effort on usenet than it would take to
list it on Freecycle.
You'll still have to wait in for the charity to collect it, or deliver
it yourself, so handing it over is just as much effort, possibly more.

As opposed to answering emails and phone calls from the Freecycle lot -
making appointments for things to be collected and waiting in for people
who don't turn up - and can't be bothered to phone and cancel?

I don't recognise this, nor a lot of the other, descriptions of
FreeCycle. I rarely give out my 'phone number and arrange most
collections by e-mail. Obviously a better class of FreeCycler round
here.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Dec 11, 1:49*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *Man at B&Q wrote:

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.
That doesn't make sense.
You've already expended more effort on usenet than it would take to
list it on Freecycle.
You'll still have to wait in for the charity to collect it, or deliver
it yourself, so handing it over is just as much effort, possibly more.

As opposed to answering emails and phone calls from the Freecycle lot -
making appointments for things to be collected and waiting in for people
who don't turn up - and can't be bothered to phone and cancel?

I don't recognise this, nor a lot of the other, descriptions of
FreeCycle. I rarely give out my 'phone number and arrange most
collections by e-mail. Obviously a better class of FreeCycler round
here.

Ditto. And they're unfailingly polite and grateful when they turn up
(which they always have).

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Dec, 13:45, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

You've had that too? My experience of the London Freecycle group means I'd
rather just dump stuff than use them again. They seem a very ungrateful
lot - thinking they are doing you a favour by actually taking something
away.

I think that says more about London than about Freecycle. Monmouth
group are great, as are Bristol. A friend in Easton seems to have
furnished most of her house by freecycling stuff from Cotham /
Horfield (which probably won't surprise those who know Bristol
districts).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Dec, 12:20, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

Unlike eBay, there's very little "arsed" to Freecycle. Once you're set
up, individual items are a doddle to shift. Just be strict about
allocating a convenient narrow window for collection when it's
suitable for you and make them work for it a little.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

Unlike eBay, there's very little "arsed" to Freecycle. Once you're set
up, individual items are a doddle to shift. Just be strict about
allocating a convenient narrow window for collection when it's suitable
for you and make them work for it a little.

After it's been collected, send a "Taken - thanks" email to the group.

Then sit back and spend the next three weeks receiving ever more messages
from people who want it and get ****ed off when you tell them "Sorry, it
went within half an hour of being posted three weeks ago".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Andy Dingley wrote:
You've had that too? My experience of the London Freecycle group means
I'd rather just dump stuff than use them again. They seem a very
ungrateful lot - thinking they are doing you a favour by actually
taking something away.

I think that says more about London than about Freecycle. Monmouth
group are great, as are Bristol.

Of course the London one will be many times the size of these. Perhaps it
would be better if it was split into postcodes or similar. After all 'my'
borough of Wandsworth has a bigger population than Bristol.

A friend in Easton seems to have
furnished most of her house by freecycling stuff from Cotham /
Horfield (which probably won't surprise those who know Bristol
districts).

I've no experience of getting things from it - only disposing.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 12:15*pm, Adrian wrote:
Andy Dingley gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

Unlike eBay, there's very little "arsed" to Freecycle. Once you're set
up, individual items are a doddle to shift. Just be strict about
allocating a convenient narrow window for collection when it's suitable
for you and make them work for it a little.

After it's been collected, send a "Taken - thanks" email to the group.

Then sit back and spend the next three weeks receiving ever more messages
from people who want it and get ****ed off when you tell them "Sorry, it
went within half an hour of being posted three weeks ago".

Just block all e-mails referring to that item.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:45:41 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
You've had that too? My experience of the London Freecycle group
means I'd rather just dump stuff than use them again. They seem a
very ungrateful lot - thinking they are doing you a favour by
actually taking something away.

Prior to emigrating I got rid of piles of stuff via Freecycle
(Twickenham) SW London): a lot of it had value, but I wouldn't have
been able to get money for it. My best success was the guy who came
round for a set of plug cutters and left with five cartons full of DIY
stuff. He sent me a really nice note saying that it was like Christmas
and his birthday all in one!

I guess the because Twickenham is (was?) a fairly prosperous area,
offers outnumbered wants by four or five to one.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:45:41 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
You've had that too? My experience of the London Freecycle group
means I'd rather just dump stuff than use them again. They seem a
very ungrateful lot - thinking they are doing you a favour by
actually taking something away.

Prior to emigrating I got rid of piles of stuff via Freecycle
(Twickenham) SW London): a lot of it had value, but I wouldn't have
been able to get money for it. My best success was the guy who came
round for a set of plug cutters and left with five cartons full of DIY
stuff. He sent me a really nice note saying that it was like Christmas
and his birthday all in one!

I basically updated the kitchen - just really a fashion thing, as
everything still worked properly. So had all the appliances both large and
small to dispose of. From large double oven unit through microwave to
electric kettle etc. All in excellent clean condition and complete down to
instruction books.

I guess the because Twickenham is (was?) a fairly prosperous area,
offers outnumbered wants by four or five to one.

Has Twickenham its own group, then? That would probably have solved some
of the problems I had.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Of course the London one will be many times the size of these. Perhaps it
would be better if it was split into postcodes or similar. After all 'my'
borough of Wandsworth has a bigger population than Bristol.

Although the main London one (30551 members) is still running, there are
also 38 subgroups, look under 'London' here.
http://www.freecycle.org/groups/unitedkingdom/

And there is a group for Wandsworth (7538 members) but smaller then the
Bristol one (20476 members)

Lots of lovely time wasters out there :-)

-&-

For the google tape I'm going to repost the more relevant links to this
thread.

http://www.workaid.org
http://www.tsfr.org
http://www.twam.co.uk

or ask VSO
http://www.vso.org.uk
http://www.salvationarmy.org.uk

or auction them and give the proceeds to the charity of your choice
http://www.charitychoice.co.uk

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You've had that too? My experience of the London Freecycle group means I'd
rather just dump stuff than use them again. They seem a very ungrateful
lot - thinking they are doing you a favour by actually taking something
away.

If they bother to turn up, after you've arranged to stay in for them to
collect the item.

Daniele

Surplus Dr. Deb Woodturning 4 May 10th 07 02:41 AM
Surplus Dr. Deb Woodworking 2 May 9th 07 02:17 AM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
LF Advice...Government Surplus tools BiffNightly Woodworking 2 September 22nd 05 04:14 PM
LF Advice...Government Surplus tools BiffNightly Woodworking 0 September 22nd 05 03:36 PM