Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Surplus tools

I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Dec, 10:31, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. *Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? *Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Try looking for Freecycle groups in your area (Yahoo groups).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tools for self-reliance:

http://www.tfsr.org/

Or possibly contact Voluntary Services Overseas:

http://www.vso.org.uk/

The London office handles requests for equipment from volunteers in
the field. If they don't want it, they'll probably tell you who does.

In fact given the people that use this group - it would be rather nice
if the group adopted either or both of these charities.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. *Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? *Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Try looking for Freecycle groups in your area (Yahoo groups).

Which bit of the OP didn't you read?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 11, 10:31*am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. *Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

http://www.workaid.org/

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of
surplus tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth ebaying
or freecycle ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

http://www.workaid.org/

Not only do the donated tools go to worthwhile causes in the third world,
but their UK workshop is partly staffed by people with learning
difficulties.

Very, very worthwhile outfit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it on
the third world? Brilliant!

There's a lot of low-tech stuff which'd be useful in the third world that
even the ungrateful scroungers on the typical freecycle group would sniff
at.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. *Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

Quite - I'd give freecycle a go first. It's amazing what sort of tat
people (try to) get rid of. The idea of "worth freecycling" doesn't
really matter as it costs you nothing expect a bit of time - though
less, I'd venture, than trying to persuade a H&S concious charity to
take it off your hands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. *Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

MBQ

Freecycle users ain't what they used to be ..folk being sniffy about
what's offered,taking stuff to instantly go to boot sales,making
ridiculous requests for quite expensive stuff that no-one in their
right mind would give away assuming they have it in the first place
,obviously made-up sob stories about why they need certain items .

There is a whole thread on Moneysavingexpert.com about how greedy some
users are .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of
surplus tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth
ebaying or freecycle ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third world countries so it can be reused?

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of
surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth ebaying or
freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third
world countries so it can be reused?

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

MBQ

Freecycle users ain't what they used to be ..folk being sniffy about
what's offered,

Sometimes but others are genuinely grateful

taking stuff to instantly go to boot sales,

If they sell it, it's still cutting down on landfill *and* providing someone
with an income..

making
ridiculous requests for quite expensive stuff that no-one in their
right mind would give away assuming they have it in the first place

You'd be surprised at what is given away. Old laptops and TVs are regularly
given away as there's virtually no market for them. A lot of folk
"trade-up" on some household appliances and can't be arsed selling the old
but servicable item.

,obviously made-up sob stories about why they need certain items .

We don't allow sob stories (although we can't stop some getting through).

There is a whole thread on Moneysavingexpert.com about how greedy some
users are .

And yet, it still serves a useful purpose. Whether members are "greedy" or
not is irrelevant. It's not about giving to the needy, it's about reducing
landfill.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. *Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? *Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Superb charity:
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

To add to the list, there's www.tsfr.org (although looking at their
list of "tools we want", there may not be much they are interested in).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of
surplus tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth
ebaying or freecycle ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third world countries so it can be reused?

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

That doesn't make sense.

You've already expended more effort on usenet than it would take to
list it on Freecycle.

You'll still have to wait in for the charity to collect it, or deliver
it yourself, so handing it over is just as much effort, possibly more.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

My brother is involved in a Church of Scotland project to send hand tools
- and gardening ones etc - to needy countries. And there is control over
the distribution there so they don't end up getting sold - but end up with
those who will use them.

I'd guess other churches etc have similar projects.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

There's a lot of low-tech stuff which'd be useful in the third world
that even the ungrateful scroungers on the typical freecycle group
would sniff at.

You've had that too? My experience of the London Freecycle group means I'd
rather just dump stuff than use them again. They seem a very ungrateful
lot - thinking they are doing you a favour by actually taking something
away.

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

That doesn't make sense.

You've already expended more effort on usenet than it would take to
list it on Freecycle.

You'll still have to wait in for the charity to collect it, or deliver
it yourself, so handing it over is just as much effort, possibly more.

As opposed to answering emails and phone calls from the Freecycle lot -
making appointments for things to be collected and waiting in for people
who don't turn up - and can't be bothered to phone and cancel?

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of
surplus tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth
ebaying or freecycle ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third world countries so it can be reused?

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

[That doesn't make sense.

You've already expended more effort on usenet than it would take to
list it on Freecycle.]

There speaks a man who hasn't used freecycle (or has way more patience than
many folk have). As a group creator, owner, moderator and user I can see
why folk sometimes find it too much trouble, particularly for a number of
small items.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You've had that too? My experience of the London Freecycle group means I'd
rather just dump stuff than use them again. They seem a very ungrateful
lot - thinking they are doing you a favour by actually taking something
away.

Same in Winchester. The performance about getting "registered" was bad
enough. Then once I had "registered" some tosser wrote to me and told me
that I would not be permitted to post my own notification of items to be
recycled, I would have to ask him to do so on my behalf and the items
would be examined for suitability.

They can **** right off. The Sally Ann will take stuff and do a fair
impression of being grateful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Downie" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

[That doesn't make sense.

You've already expended more effort on usenet than it would take to list
it on Freecycle.]

There speaks a man who hasn't used freecycle (or has way more patience
than many folk have). As a group creator, owner, moderator and user I
can see why folk sometimes find it too much trouble, particularly for a
number of small items.

As a former user of Freecycle - on both ends of the re-homing - I can
only say that I know _exactly_ what he means - and it looks like I'm not
alone from other comments.

I s'pose it depends on your area, but when I gave up on 'em, there was a
general air of pikey ****-taking scrounge about every single one of the
lists around this way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I s'pose it depends on your area, but when I gave up on 'em, there was a
general air of pikey ****-taking scrounge about every single one of the
lists around this way.

The one for my area featured requests such as "Looking for a free PC
must be 2.6GHz Dual Core with minimum of 2GB RAM. Don't bother replying
if hard drive is smaller than 320GB." and "Wanted Inflatable Dinghy with
outboard engine, minimum 20 bhp, must be in good condition no patches.
Will consider anyone who can transport it to my home."

Oh how I laughed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of
surplus tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth
ebaying or freecycle ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third world countries so it can be reused?

You don't think it's good enough to Freecycle, so you want to dump it
on the third world? Brilliant!

No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

[That doesn't make sense.

You've already expended more effort on usenet than it would take to
list it on Freecycle.]

There speaks a man who hasn't used freecycle (or has way more patience than
many folk have).

I'm not particularly patient but I have used Freecycle quite a bit
over the past year. I've had no hassle at all. It amused me on a
couple of occasions when people we knew, but didn't recognise from e-
mail addresses, turned up for the stuff.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of surplus
tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. *Nothing worth ebaying or freecycle
ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to third
world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? *Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Try looking for Freecycle groups in your area (Yahoo groups).

Which bit of the OP didn't you read?

MBQ- Hide quoted text -

None of it. Now **** off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Steve Firth)
saying something like:

Same in Winchester. The performance about getting "registered" was bad
enough. Then once I had "registered" some tosser wrote to me and told me
that I would not be permitted to post my own notification of items to be
recycled, I would have to ask him to do so on my behalf and the items
would be examined for suitability.

Heh. Your reputation precedes you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

There is a whole thread on Moneysavingexpert.com about how greedy some
users are .

A link would be handy - mse is rather large with many sub bits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
You've had that too? My experience of the London Freecycle group means I'd
rather just dump stuff than use them again. They seem a very ungrateful
lot - thinking they are doing you a favour by actually taking something
away.

Same in Winchester. The performance about getting "registered" was bad
enough. Then once I had "registered" some tosser wrote to me and told me
that I would not be permitted to post my own notification of items to be
recycled, I would have to ask him to do so on my behalf and the items
would be examined for suitability.

At least that didn't happen with the London one.

They can **** right off. The Sally Ann will take stuff and do a fair
impression of being grateful.

I don't really expect people to be honestly grateful since it's a two way
service. But since they are happy to make endless phone calls or emails to
secure the object, just one after they've got it to say thanks wouldn't
hurt.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:19:39 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

There is a whole thread on Moneysavingexpert.com about how greedy some
users are .

A link would be handy - mse is rather large with many sub bits.

Have a look here
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7#post16587057
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Adrian wrote:

I s'pose it depends on your area, but when I gave up on 'em, there was a
general air of pikey ****-taking scrounge about every single one of the
lists around this way.

The one for my area featured requests such as "Looking for a free PC
must be 2.6GHz Dual Core with minimum of 2GB RAM. Don't bother replying
if hard drive is smaller than 320GB." and "Wanted Inflatable Dinghy with
outboard engine, minimum 20 bhp, must be in good condition no patches.
Will consider anyone who can transport it to my home."

Oh how I laughed.

Good moderators should remove/reject such postings.

The Freecycle groups locally - in rural Cumbria seem to work well - I
never wait in for people , they get told to come when I am going to be
around.
Maybe they work best in small communities .

I have disposed of plenty of surplus building materials even down to 1/2
bags of drywall adhesive and a few concrete blocks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:

The Freecycle groups locally - in rural Cumbria seem to work well - I
never wait in for people , they get told to come when I am going to be
around.
Maybe they work best in small communities .

I live in a small community. It's a damn sight easier to ask people in
the village if they want my old crap than it is to dispose of it via
Freecycle. Freecycle really needs a large community to stand a chance of
working, but as it is currently conceived it is more about posing and
showing green credentials than about being that useful - WTF should I
need to register for $DEITY's sake?

My local dump recycles good stuff, I'd rather take my ex-belongings
there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Have a look here
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...7#post16587057

Ta.
Reading back, it seems it's not a new problem. Luckily I don't see it
much on my local FC groups, and the only regular 'wanted' poster seems
to be a geniunely skint young single mum who, over the past couple of
years, has been keeping us abreast of her sprog's growth by the stuff
she asks for and gives away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...

wrote:
[...]

I've had good experience of Sheffield Freecycle - pleasant appreciative
people.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
No, I can't be arsed to freecycle it.

That doesn't make sense.

You've already expended more effort on usenet than it would take to
list it on Freecycle.

You'll still have to wait in for the charity to collect it, or
deliver it yourself, so handing it over is just as much effort,
possibly more.

As opposed to answering emails and phone calls from the Freecycle lot
- making appointments for things to be collected and waiting in for
people who don't turn up - and can't be bothered to phone and cancel?

Ferzakerly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of
surplus tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth
ebaying or freecycle ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.
ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third world countries so it can be reused?

I've had good experience of Sheffield Freecycle - pleasant appreciative
people.

North and West Suffolk Freecycle works well for me but I never bother
to wait in for people, I leave whatever I am Freecycling in the
greenhouse so they can pick it up when they want

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

North and West Suffolk Freecycle works well for me but I never bother
to wait *in for people, I leave whatever I am Freecycling in the
greenhouse so they can pick it up when they want

The trouble with this is malicious posters.

We had one when I ran the West Norfolk group - somebody posted a "I'm
moving in with my girlfriend, giving away most household things" - the
poster was probably a disgruntled ex-partner.

Whoever it was diligently answered enquiries and directed them to the
address. Unusually, all the emails from the hoaxer were articulate
(normally you can sniff out hoaxers by the retarded and unrealistic
postings).

Some people had traveled many miles, some of them were genuinely
struggling oldsters.

Similar scams of saying "I wont be there, but take it away with you"
have been used during neighbour disputes on other groups.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:50:24 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

North and West Suffolk Freecycle works well for me but I never bother
to wait =A0in for people, I leave whatever I am Freecycling in the
greenhouse so they can pick it up when they want

The trouble with this is malicious posters.

We had one when I ran the West Norfolk group - somebody posted a "I'm
moving in with my girlfriend, giving away most household things" - the
poster was probably a disgruntled ex-partner.

Whoever it was diligently answered enquiries and directed them to the
address. Unusually, all the emails from the hoaxer were articulate
(normally you can sniff out hoaxers by the retarded and unrealistic
postings).

Some people had traveled many miles, some of them were genuinely
struggling oldsters.

Similar scams of saying "I wont be there, but take it away with you"
have been used during neighbour disputes on other groups.

Oh dear how unpleasant. I dont think I need to change my behaiour
though do you? Such a situation has never cropped up in my group and
it hasnt caused any problems so far So if it aint broke dont fix it

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
Tel: (+44) 01359 230642
Mob: (+44) 07976 649862
Please look at my website for examples of my work at:
www.kettlenet.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Freecycle really needs a large community to stand a chance of
working, but as it is currently conceived *it is more about posing and
showing green credentials than about being that useful - WTF should I
need to register for $DEITY's sake?

Mainly to try to cut down people spamming the newsgroup, putting up
contact details of someone else along with highly desirable items,
offering very unsuitable items, scams - and much worse things that I'm
sure you can imagine.

The centralised control by the none-too-gifted Deron is not one of
Freecycle's most positive aspects - but all the local group moderators
I've met throughout the Fenland and East Anglia area of been very well
motivated people that want to impose the minimum of overheads to make
the local groups work successfully and keep the nuisances out. But
remember, they are but a very few volunteers giving up some of there
time - they do their best with the resources available to them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh dear how unpleasant. I dont think I need to change my behaiour
though do you? Such a situation has never cropped up in my group and
it hasnt caused any problems so far So if it aint broke dont fix it

You can of course do whatever you please when you arrange pick-ups
with people via email or the phone.

However I recall another case on West Norfolk where someone did an
unattended collection - and took the whatever it was the items had
been left in for protection.

The offerer hadn't intended to give the box/whatever away - and the
taker, I believe, said she'd subsequently thrown it away.

There's also a danger that the taker will also take any other items in
or around your greenhouse that they fancy - possibly an item intended
for another freecycler.

I've had one person when picking up, start the "can I have this? can I
have that?", when they see I have a lot of building materials about.

If I wasn't there, I suspect a very few *would* help themselves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

I need to clear out the garage/workshop & I have a fair amount of
surplus tools, spanners, pliers, tool bags etc. Nothing worth ebaying
or freecycle ing, but I don't want to just bin it all.

ISTR there is a charity which collects stuff like this & ships it to
third world countries so it can be reused?

Anyone got a link? Google just throws up loads of tool shops.

http://www.workaid.org/

Not only do the donated tools go to worthwhile causes in the third world,
but their UK workshop is partly staffed by people with learning
difficulties.

Very, very worthwhile outfit.

Which reminds me - there's a place here in Watford which employs
mentally and physically disabled people, they might appreciate some
tools - I'll see if I can contact them

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

I don't really expect people to be honestly grateful since it's a two way
service. But since they are happy to make endless phone calls or emails to
secure the object, just one after they've got it to say thanks wouldn't
hurt.

I put an old Uher Report on Bedford freecycle a while back. It was
picked up by a retired Uher engineer who was compiling a collection of
them. Had lots of thanks when he collected and a follow up email.
There are a few polite people out there, not many though.
--
Bill
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself against my enemies.

Surplus Dr. Deb Woodturning 4 May 10th 07 02:41 AM
Surplus Dr. Deb Woodworking 2 May 9th 07 02:17 AM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
LF Advice...Government Surplus tools BiffNightly Woodworking 2 September 22nd 05 04:14 PM
LF Advice...Government Surplus tools BiffNightly Woodworking 0 September 22nd 05 03:36 PM