Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing pan lid knobs

Several of our pan lids are now decidedly unstable and fall apart at the
slightest opportunity - potentiall dangerous when hot. And very annoying.
The pans themselves are of "lifetime" quality, metal with copper bottoms -
I don't want to replace them.

The majority of these problematic pan lids have wooden knobs, attached via
a metal bolt. The thread on the inside of the pan lid has essentially worn
down over the years, and now doesn't allow the bolt an adequate "foothold".

I'm wondering as to potential soltions. I confess I tend to take the "bodge
first, fix later approach". Some aluminium foil wrapped around the screw
thread - effectively widening it - has worked for a year or two, but is no
longer passing muster. Could I use liquid wood to pack the hole, then
re-thread? Or simply to glue the thread in place? I'm looking for a
solution that doesn't poison the family (!), and can sustain the rigours of
a dishwasher**.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of where I can get replacement knobs I'd be
grateful. I've had a fruitless time searching on-line.

I also have a plastic pan lid know exhibiting the same problem. Do the same
suggestions apply?

Many thanks in advance for any response. SHMBO cannot live with the status
quo any longer!

Regards to all
Mike

**the pans described themselves as dishwaher safe, but we've only recently
aquired one of these truely wonderful machines. I don't believe the 60
degrees water and/or detergents have caused this problem. Rather I blame
the practice in previous years of leaving the pans to soak in hot water.

--
Emails sent to the address in the headers will in all likelihood be ignored
Contact me at
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Atkinson" wrote in message
Several of our pan lids are now decidedly unstable and fall apart at the
slightest opportunity - potentiall dangerous when hot. And very annoying.
The pans themselves are of "lifetime" quality, metal with copper bottoms -
I don't want to replace them.

If they have a lifetime guarantee, then why don't you want to replace them?
You should get a new set of pans for free, under the agreement of the
guarantee.

Repairing them yourself will void any guarantee the makers have given on
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:42:55 +0000, Michael Atkinson
wrote:

[...]

You can buy simple wooden knobs from B&Q, intended for cupboard doors
etc. Varnish or paint them to protect against dampness and attach them
with a woodscrew.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Michael Atkinson wrote :
Several of our pan lids are now decidedly unstable and fall apart at the
slightest opportunity - potentiall dangerous when hot. And very annoying.
The pans themselves are of "lifetime" quality, metal with copper bottoms -
I don't want to replace them.

The majority of these problematic pan lids have wooden knobs, attached via
a metal bolt. The thread on the inside of the pan lid has essentially worn
down over the years, and now doesn't allow the bolt an adequate "foothold".

Could you perhaps buy some machine screws and nuts made from stainless
steel to replace them?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

You can buy replacement knobs for Le Creuset (cast iron) Saucepans
which would probably do. They are extortionately expensive - like a
fiver each - but do the job well and are oven-proof.

There are some cheaper 'Le Creuset clone' makes around ('Chasseur'
rings a bell). They might do similar items more cheaply.

HTH
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

[...]

We had some 'Club' pans where the knobs (hard plastic rather than wood)
split and came loose.
I happened to be trimming back our apple tree so I just cut ~1 inch lengths
from a 1 inch diameter branch and attached it with a 3/4inch woodscrew.
Lasted prolly 10 years now.

Personally I like the way it looks, and if you have a lot of pans with
problem lids, people will assume it's an expensive designer feature.

I don't think it would necessarily be long term dishwasher proof, but since
you can just cut another branch when necessary it doesn't really matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Atkinson wrote:
Several of our pan lids are now decidedly unstable and fall apart at
the slightest opportunity - potentiall dangerous when hot. And very
annoying. The pans themselves are of "lifetime" quality, metal with
copper bottoms - I don't want to replace them.

The majority of these problematic pan lids have wooden knobs,
attached via a metal bolt. The thread on the inside of the pan lid
has essentially worn down over the years, and now doesn't allow the
bolt an adequate "foothold".

Mix up some of this or similar, & put it in the thread in the knob. Screw
up & leave for an hour of so.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/23269/...cal-Metal-Tube

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You could also find your local Arkwright store, more likely now a
Granville store and ask them for some pan handles as I did last year.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

As the MiL did for us a few years ago. We only needed one rather than
four(c).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Not 'fork handles'?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:42:55 +0000, Michael Atkinson wrote:

I don't believe the 60 degrees water and/or detergents have caused this
problem. Rather I blame the practice in previous years of leaving the
pans to soak in hot water.

Wooden items in the dishwasher tend to go grey/denatured on the surface
fairly quickly. The inside of dishwasher is a pretty harsh enviroment
during the wash cycle... Probably not the cause of the loose handles but
how long the knobs will last is another matter, depends if your worried
about them looking a bit grey and furry. B-) Personally I'd still hand
wash the lids, they won't be particulary mucky compared to the pans.

As for fixing the knobs back on the plastic padding/car body filler is
probably the best solution. Pack the hole well with the filler, make a
hole to start the bolt (is it really a machine screw or is it coarser wood
type thread?), fix the knob back on and leave to set for at least 24hrs
before disturbing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:35:12 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

CAR BODY FILLER.

Yes I agree. The pans of my childhood were all held together by car
body filler (My dad loved the stuff and the smell still brings back
memories) and they easily survived a family of rowdy teenagers and a
dishwasher

Anna

--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
**the pans described themselves as dishwaher safe, but we've only
recently aquired one of these truely wonderful machines. I don't
believe the 60 degrees water and/or detergents have caused this
problem. Rather I blame the practice in previous years of leaving the
pans to soak in hot water.

CAR BODY FILLER.

Most normal epoxy based stuff won't cope with steam.

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alternatively, if anyone knows of where I can get replacement knobs I'd be
grateful. I've had a fruitless time searching on-line.

The best knob shop this side of the Nagasaki breakwater:

http://www.cotel.co.uk/

If (as I suspect) you don't want to buy in 100's then call them and find a
distributor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vortex2 wrote:
The best knob shop this side of the Nagasaki breakwater:

http://www.cotel.co.uk/

Doesn't work on this browser. Why do some insist on using bells and
whistles on a simple site such as this?

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Vortex2 wrote:
The best knob shop this side of the Nagasaki breakwater:

http://www.cotel.co.uk/

Doesn't work on this browser. Why do some insist on using bells and
whistles on a simple site such as this?

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

What browser's that? Seems to work OK on Safari and Firefox here (both out
of date I might add).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex2 wrote:
The best knob shop this side of the Nagasaki breakwater:

http://www.cotel.co.uk/

Doesn't work on this browser. Why do some insist on using bells and
whistles on a simple site such as this?

What browser's that? Seems to work OK on Safari and Firefox here (both
out of date I might add).

Think it's more to do with the plugins than browser. According to Firefox
here.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 1:39 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
Vortex2 wrote:

The best knob shop this side of the Nagasaki breakwater:
http://www.cotel.co.uk/

Doesn't work on this browser.

You lucky, lucky, person you. It's some time since I saw /quite/ such
a visually disgusting website. Give me a tasteful Flash website any
time. (Note: I *HATE* Flash.)

Why do some insist on using bells and
whistles on a simple site such as this?

Dogs, licking, and ******** come to mind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:39:28 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://www.cotel.co.uk/

Doesn't work on this browser.

Odd I probably use an even quirkier browser than you Dave but that site
works for me apart from the flash banner across the top. The rest is a bit
of javascript and php (so server side) with an IFRAME as the target of the
content selected.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:08:20 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner wrote:

It's some time since I saw /quite/ such a visually disgusting website.

Not as bad as some, at least they haven't choosen blue on grey for text or
a forced a miniscule font size. What is a bit disconcerting is the
complete lack of any prices even if you add things to your shopping cart
you still don't know how much they are going to cost you or look on the
brochure page. I've not even found a separate price list to cross
reference with part noumbers.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:39:28 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://www.cotel.co.uk/

Doesn't work on this browser.

Odd I probably use an even quirkier browser than you Dave but that site
works for me apart from the flash banner across the top. The rest is a
bit of javascript and php (so server side) with an IFRAME as the target
of the content selected.

Strangely I get the Flash animation but no content other than the menu.
Must be a Javascript thingie.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
**the pans described themselves as dishwaher safe, but we've only
recently aquired one of these truely wonderful machines. I don't
believe the 60 degrees water and/or detergents have caused this
problem. Rather I blame the practice in previous years of leaving the
pans to soak in hot water.

CAR BODY FILLER.

Most normal epoxy based stuff won't cope with steam.

Cobblers.

Epoxy softens, but polyester based catalysed resins just set harder!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Nov 26, 1:39 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

http://www.greystone-interiors.co.uk/ ?

Why do some insist on using bells and
whistles on a simple site such as this?

Dogs, licking, and ******** come to mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:

You could also find your local Arkwright store, more likely now a
Granville store and ask them for some pan handles as I did last year.

Not 'fork handles'?

Don't make me laugh like that. I'm not over my bad chest yet :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:14:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
**the pans described themselves as dishwaher safe, but we've only
recently aquired one of these truely wonderful machines. I don't
believe the 60 degrees water and/or detergents have caused this
problem. Rather I blame the practice in previous years of leaving the
pans to soak in hot water.

CAR BODY FILLER.

Most normal epoxy based stuff won't cope with steam.

Cobblers.

Epoxy softens, but polyester based catalysed resins just set harder!

Cobblers

The Tg or glass transition temperature for polyester is around 75 deg
C, for epoxy it's around 150 deg C. A filled epoxy is a much more
appropriate material for repairing a pan lid knob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:

You could also find your local Arkwright store, more likely now a
Granville store and ask them for some pan handles as I did last
year.

Not 'fork handles'?

Don't make me laugh like that. I'm not over my bad chest yet :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saP127nVfSk

Still funny after all these years. Can you believe it dates from 1976? 32
years ago!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:14:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
**the pans described themselves as dishwaher safe, but we've only
recently aquired one of these truely wonderful machines. I don't
believe the 60 degrees water and/or detergents have caused this
problem. Rather I blame the practice in previous years of leaving the
pans to soak in hot water.

CAR BODY FILLER.
Most normal epoxy based stuff won't cope with steam.

Cobblers.

Epoxy softens, but polyester based catalysed resins just set harder!

Cobblers

The Tg or glass transition temperature for polyester is around 75 deg
C, for epoxy it's around 150 deg C. A filled epoxy is a much more
appropriate material for repairing a pan lid knob.

Well having used both, I can only go by experience.

Car body filler and related products (plastic padding, liquid metal) are
often used to repair car radiators, and other pretty hot things, and
they work.

I use epoxy to repair plates and china. If done carefully and stoved in
the oven at around 90C they seem to be dishwasher proof. But not if not
stoved. Then they seem to soften and go rubbery, and fall apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Car body filler and related products (plastic padding, liquid metal) are
often used to repair car radiators, and other pretty hot things, and
they work.

But they don't get blasted with steam in the same way as a pot lid handle
does.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

knobs or pulls or both? djay Home Repair 9 November 1st 07 04:16 AM
Big Knobs visionset UK diy 3 October 28th 07 10:29 PM
I'm looking for some knobs ;-) The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 9 September 16th 06 10:47 PM
I need new knobs!! Jo UK diy 17 September 10th 04 09:19 AM
Help: Making Knobs Darren Harris Woodworking 3 June 15th 04 11:47 PM