Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing pan lid knobs

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:42:55 +0000, Michael Atkinson wrote:

I don't believe the 60 degrees water and/or detergents have caused this
problem. Rather I blame the practice in previous years of leaving the
pans to soak in hot water.

Wooden items in the dishwasher tend to go grey/denatured on the surface
fairly quickly. The inside of dishwasher is a pretty harsh enviroment
during the wash cycle... Probably not the cause of the loose handles but
how long the knobs will last is another matter, depends if your worried
about them looking a bit grey and furry. B-) Personally I'd still hand
wash the lids, they won't be particulary mucky compared to the pans.

As for fixing the knobs back on the plastic padding/car body filler is
probably the best solution. Pack the hole well with the filler, make a
hole to start the bolt (is it really a machine screw or is it coarser wood
type thread?), fix the knob back on and leave to set for at least 24hrs
before disturbing.

--
Cheers
Dave.