Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing pan lid knobs

Dave wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:42:55 +0000, Michael Atkinson
wrote:

Several of our pan lids are now decidedly unstable and fall apart
at the slightest opportunity - potentiall dangerous when hot. And
very annoying. The pans themselves are of "lifetime" quality, metal
with copper bottoms - I don't want to replace them.

The majority of these problematic pan lids have wooden knobs,
attached via a metal bolt. The thread on the inside of the pan lid
has essentially worn down over the years, and now doesn't allow the
bolt an adequate "foothold". I'm wondering as to potential soltions. I
confess I tend to take
the "bodge first, fix later approach". Some aluminium foil wrapped
around the screw thread - effectively widening it - has worked for
a year or two, but is no longer passing muster. Could I use liquid
wood to pack the hole, then re-thread? Or simply to glue the thread
in place? I'm looking for a solution that doesn't poison the family
(!), and can sustain the rigours of a dishwasher**.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of where I can get replacement knobs
I'd be grateful. I've had a fruitless time searching on-line.

You can buy simple wooden knobs from B&Q, intended for cupboard doors
etc. Varnish or paint them to protect against dampness and attach
them with a woodscrew.

You could also find your local Arkwright store, more likely now a
Granville store and ask them for some pan handles as I did last year.

Not 'fork handles'?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk