Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Repairing pan lid knobs

"Michael Atkinson" wrote in message
Several of our pan lids are now decidedly unstable and fall apart at the
slightest opportunity - potentiall dangerous when hot. And very annoying.
The pans themselves are of "lifetime" quality, metal with copper bottoms -
I don't want to replace them.

The majority of these problematic pan lids have wooden knobs, attached via
a metal bolt. The thread on the inside of the pan lid has essentially worn
down over the years, and now doesn't allow the bolt an adequate
"foothold".

I'm wondering as to potential soltions. I confess I tend to take the
"bodge
first, fix later approach". Some aluminium foil wrapped around the screw
thread - effectively widening it - has worked for a year or two, but is no
longer passing muster. Could I use liquid wood to pack the hole, then
re-thread? Or simply to glue the thread in place? I'm looking for a
solution that doesn't poison the family (!), and can sustain the rigours
of
a dishwasher**.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of where I can get replacement knobs I'd be
grateful. I've had a fruitless time searching on-line.

We had some 'Club' pans where the knobs (hard plastic rather than wood)
split and came loose.
I happened to be trimming back our apple tree so I just cut ~1 inch lengths
from a 1 inch diameter branch and attached it with a 3/4inch woodscrew.
Lasted prolly 10 years now.

Personally I like the way it looks, and if you have a lot of pans with
problem lids, people will assume it's an expensive designer feature.

I don't think it would necessarily be long term dishwasher proof, but since
you can just cut another branch when necessary it doesn't really matter.