Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Repairing pan lid knobs

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:42:55 +0000, Michael Atkinson
wrote:

Several of our pan lids are now decidedly unstable and fall apart at the
slightest opportunity - potentiall dangerous when hot. And very annoying.
The pans themselves are of "lifetime" quality, metal with copper bottoms -
I don't want to replace them.

The majority of these problematic pan lids have wooden knobs, attached via
a metal bolt. The thread on the inside of the pan lid has essentially worn
down over the years, and now doesn't allow the bolt an adequate "foothold".

I'm wondering as to potential soltions. I confess I tend to take the "bodge
first, fix later approach". Some aluminium foil wrapped around the screw
thread - effectively widening it - has worked for a year or two, but is no
longer passing muster. Could I use liquid wood to pack the hole, then
re-thread? Or simply to glue the thread in place? I'm looking for a
solution that doesn't poison the family (!), and can sustain the rigours of
a dishwasher**.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of where I can get replacement knobs I'd be
grateful. I've had a fruitless time searching on-line.

You can buy simple wooden knobs from B&Q, intended for cupboard doors
etc. Varnish or paint them to protect against dampness and attach them
with a woodscrew.

--
Frank Erskine