Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to plastering

I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Has anyone done this sort of _things_ before? Did it look OK?

FFS if I could ever make a post without a typo..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.

How about heavy lining paper? Covers up deep scratches in plaster and
things. Over the really bad bits, put up some timber panels. Make it look
more rustic. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval

and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to

be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with

something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud,

so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.

Pine matchboarding over all walls and ceiling, and swear blind it's
the 1970's retro trendy thing to do

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson coughed up some electrons that declared:

"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval

and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to

be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with

something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud,

so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.

Pine matchboarding over all walls and ceiling, and swear blind it's
the 1970's retro trendy thing to do

AWEM

Let's see:

Skateboards - check
Flares - check
Long hair on blokes - check.

matchboarding - it's a logical conclusion...

And half the stuff in the furniture stores - makes me feel I'm in a bad 70's
sci-fi film: mushroom stools and bright orange plastic furniture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

Tapered plasterboard with filler where the boards meet?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

R D S wrote:
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.

I think it would look fine.

Where 'fine' has been redefined to mean 'fairly horrible'. :-)

If you want to go down that route, it seems to me that you need to be
bolder - maybe a faux Japanese screen effect? Or Mondrian-alike. Or,
well, something not like the gaps between plasterboard sheets!

But, though I would be worried about achieving a really good result, the
tapered board and filler approach seems best to me.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be able
to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so I
don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.

We've just had a glazed door and it's attendant glazed panels replaced with
a glazed door in stud work. I'm too mean to shell for a plasterer just to
skim this wee area, and I'm too crap at plastering to do it myself. So I'm
going to fill the nail indentations/holes/gaps in the plasterboard, line it
with 1000 grade lining paper (I might double line it, in fact) and then
paint it. Should look ok - might post pictures here if I can be arsed.

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.

You see that sort of thing from the 1930s occasionally, with LDF
instead of plasterboard. Horrible.

I wouldnt use paper in a bathroom either.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

Tapered plasterboard with filler where the boards meet?

Adam

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible to
see where the filler is after painting.
I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of the
norm.

I want to avoid lining paper if possible, I really hate papering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

Just waiting for platform shoes to come in again for men. I felt tall then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval
and mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to
be able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Dry wall are fairly common, not rocket science

edges shouldn't be that difficult to get right

make sure you have enough batoning to prevent bowing and so that it
doesn't sound too hollow when tapped

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.

NC

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

Tapered plasterboard with filler where the boards meet?
Adam

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible to
see where the filler is after painting.
I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of
the norm.

I want to avoid lining paper if possible, I really hate papering.

get "er" to do that bit

Have you not learned the secret ?

You do all the huffing, puffing, sweating and swearing doing the "hard
work", and leave "er" to "finish off"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes
R D S wrote:
Has anyone done this sort of _things_ before? Did it look OK?

FFS if I could ever make a post without a typo..

should have gone to specsavers ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval

and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be
able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something
inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so
I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will
(hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

Tapered plasterboard with filler where the boards meet?

Adam

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible to
see where the filler is after painting.
I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of the
norm.

I have never done it. The hotel I was doing some electrical work at has had
it done. You cannot tell where the joints are.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , R D S
writes
R D S wrote:
Has anyone done this sort of _things_ before? Did it look OK?

FFS if I could ever make a post without a typo..

should have gone to specsavers ...

I spent 10 years at Specsavers, it shaped me into the person I am today.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , R D S
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

She'll only make a ******** of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
[...]

Yup, if board and fill is done right, the results are spot on and you
won't see the joins. You can stick up a frame screw boards to it, or dot
n dab the boards.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson"
saying something like:

Pine matchboarding over all walls and ceiling, and swear blind it's
the 1970's retro trendy thing to do

And several coats of orange varnish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember R D S saying
something like:

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible to
see where the filler is after painting.
I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of the
norm.

Checker plate. Dead cool in the living room if you set it off with a
Yank V8 on a display stand in the middle of the floor.

I've been thinking of alternatives to plastering, and the best I could
come up with was p/bd and lining paper w several coats of paint on it.
Ply is always an option, of course, but p'bd does at least not burn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , R D S
writes
R D S wrote:
Has anyone done this sort of _things_ before? Did it look OK?

FFS if I could ever make a post without a typo..

should have gone to specsavers ...

I spent 10 years at Specsavers, it shaped me into the person I am
today.

Are you going to sue?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember R D S saying
something like:

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible to
see where the filler is after painting.
I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of the
norm.

Checker plate. Dead cool in the living room if you set it off with a
Yank V8 on a display stand in the middle of the floor.

I've been thinking of alternatives to plastering, and the best I could
come up with was p/bd and lining paper w several coats of paint on it.
Ply is always an option, of course, but p'bd does at least not burn.

T & G is a possibility.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be able
to paint.

What are you doing in a DIY group? the whole point of DIY'ing is enjoying
the satisfaction of a job well done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

I've been thinking of alternatives to plastering, and the best I could
come up with was p/bd and lining paper w several coats of paint on it.
Ply is always an option, of course, but p'bd does at least not burn.

T & G is a possibility.

I quite fancy doing one room in wainscoting, and T&G is a deffo for it.
Quite likely, ply above that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember R D S saying
something like:

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible
to see where the filler is after painting.
I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of
the norm.

Checker plate. Dead cool in the living room if you set it off with a
Yank V8 on a display stand in the middle of the floor.

I've been thinking of alternatives to plastering, and the best I could
come up with was p/bd and lining paper w several coats of paint on it.
Ply is always an option, of course, but p'bd does at least not burn.

T & G is a possibility.

I hate T&G, my ex father in law ruined my kitchen with that some years
ago. Hardly a day goes by where I don't get the urge to tear it out.

Fortunately I can keep most of my DIY urges under control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and
mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be able
to paint.

What are you doing in a DIY group? the whole point of DIY'ing is enjoying
the satisfaction of a job well done.

Well if I have it plastered it wont be DIY.

Plus TBH I reckon it would be nice to break away from the whole long,
flat wall thing and do something a bit different.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember R D S saying
something like:

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible
to see where the filler is after painting.
I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of
the norm.

Checker plate. Dead cool in the living room if you set it off with a
Yank V8 on a display stand in the middle of the floor.

I've been thinking of alternatives to plastering, and the best I could
come up with was p/bd and lining paper w several coats of paint on it.
Ply is always an option, of course, but p'bd does at least not burn.

T & G is a possibility.

I hate T&G, my ex father in law ruined my kitchen with that some years
ago. Hardly a day goes by where I don't get the urge to tear it out.

Fortunately I can keep most of my DIY urges under control.

Loe it or hate it, like woodchip pare.. ;-)

In its place its fine. It doesnt suit my house tho.

Gong to get a grand of oak and fire up the router and do some paneling,
book vases and hifi center etc etc..sod the wall behind it :-)

Warm Air alternatives [email protected] UK diy 32 March 27th 08 10:28 AM
Alternatives to mains gas crom UK diy 10 February 19th 06 07:05 PM
scroll saw alternatives [email protected] Woodworking 10 January 27th 06 04:49 PM
Chucks or alternatives John DeBoo Woodturning 40 November 3rd 05 03:17 PM
Alternatives to Gas Welding? Peter C UK diy 15 November 3rd 03 10:52 PM