Posted to uk.d-i-y
crom

Default Alternatives to mains gas

I've been told that a 49KG gas cannister can last a small family (2
adults and 2 kids) about a year and a half. This seems remarkable so I
thougt I'd check it out with the peeps on this board.

Following up an earlier post I'm looking into alternatives to running
heating off the electric supply because of cost etc. It'll be
prohibitive to install a new gas supply and we can't use one of these
things to generate heat from the ground (can't remember what they're
called). A neighbour has one and it has frozen parts of his garden and
killed loads of plants!!!

Does anyone know ballpark figures for running and installing oil tank
and oil central heating?

Cheers,
Crom
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

crom wrote in message ...
I've been told that a 49KG gas cannister can last a small family (2
adults and 2 kids) about a year and a half. This seems remarkable so I
thougt I'd check it out with the peeps on this board.

snipped

Cheers,
Crom

====================
I'd be very surprised if that's true.

I've just been looking at costs for a propane torch and found this:
www.calor.co.uk but this is more specific to your needs:
http://www.calor-country-living.co.uk/lpg-bulk-tanks/

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

crom wrote:
I've been told that a 49KG gas cannister can last a small family (2
adults and 2 kids) about a year and a half. This seems remarkable so I
thougt I'd check it out with the peeps on this board.

Let's do the numbers.
Hydrocarbons do about 44MJ/Kg.
So, call it 2100MJ.
Or 583Kwh, or I make that 44W.

_maybe_ for 4 people, cooking in a very minimal manner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:33:28 +0000, crom wrote:

I've been told that a 49KG gas cannister can last a small family (2
adults and 2 kids) about a year and a half.

If they use it for cooking.

Does anyone know ballpark figures for running and installing oil tank
and oil central heating?

I've just had a new oil boiler fitted, but if I was starting again I
would go for a buried gas cylinder and a gas boiler, it would work out
about the same to install. Running costs are pretty much identical.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

crom wrote:
I've been told that a 49KG gas cannister can last a small family (2
adults and 2 kids) about a year and a half. This seems remarkable so I
thougt I'd check it out with the peeps on this board.

As long as you keep the valve closed it can last a lot longer than that.

What do you intend to run from this gas canister? Your post seems to
imply central heating, and I would expect the cannister to last a week
to three weeks depending on outside temperature and your personal
comfort level.

If you mean for running a gas hob, then your estimate seems about right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:38:48 +0000, Andrew Sinclair wrote:

Cooking perhaps, we use two 19kg propane cylinders each year for our hob
(oven is electric).

About what we use, with same.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

Following up an earlier post I'm looking into alternatives to running
heating off the electric supply because of cost etc. It'll be
prohibitive to install a new gas supply and we can't use one of these
things to generate heat from the ground (can't remember what they're
called). A neighbour has one and it has frozen parts of his garden and
killed loads of plants!!!

Strange no-one has commented on the fact that the ground-heat collection
facility next door has introduced a level of perma-frost into the garden!
Why would that be?

Is it buried too close to the surface? Turned up too high? Under
inappropriate ground-covering (e.g. plants where the sun-light cannot
actually get to the ground)? I'd be very interested to know how this can
happen, because it does not sound like it has been installed correctly to
me.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
crom

Thanks for all the response so far. To come back to you with some
clarification, yes I would be aiming to use it for UF heating (about
50 metre square) and hot water as well as hob (oven will be electric).

I am looking into alternatives to using this:
http://www.electroheatplc.co.uk/pages/desc.html

which looks expensive to run. Putting in mains gas is going to be
prohibitive and oil may not be feasible (again because of the long run
from tank to house) but I am looking into it.

Any thoughts...

Thanks,
Crom

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:01:28 +0000, crom wrote:

Putting in mains gas is going to be
prohibitive and oil may not be feasible (again because of the long run
from tank to house) but I am looking into it.

Any thoughts...

Yes, an underground gas (or oil) tank. As suggested.

--
Nigel M