Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Notching deck boards - novice advice

I've just completed stage one of my deck (getting the frame in
place). Possibly not up to the standard of many on here, but it is
solid, level, straight and rigid; I'm pleased.

I'm installing posts for a handrail on the inside of the frame, which
means I'll be cutting large notches in the deckboards to accommodate
the posts. I'm concerned that this will be the most likely place
where I'll make a really visible cockup, so I thought I'd ask for some
advice on how to do this neatly.

The tools I have at my disposal a-
- jigsaw (advice on type of blade recommended)
- tenon saw
- hacksaw
- Makita 12v drill / driver (and assorted bits)
- padsaw
- brute force (!)

The bit i struggle with is achieving the horizontal cut between the
two vertical cuts to make the gap wide enough for the post.

Any joiners tips for a neat finish gratefully received.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Not a joiner, just a general wood butcher & deck builder :-)

Mark the two lines for the vertical cuts. Start cutting the right hand
vertical one with a jigsaw but halfway along the vertical line veer off to
the left until you meet the horizontal line. Cut along the horizontal line
until you reach the left vertical line.

Now cut straight up the left vertical until you meet the horizontal & a bit
will fall out - like half a capital 'D'.

Cut along the horizontal until you meet the right horizontal line. Continue
the original cut along the right hand vertical.

Hope that makes sense, easier to show you than describe it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Sep, 19:32, "The Medway Handyman"
[...]

Many thanks. That was the way I was thinking of heading, though in
the past I've tried things like drilling a 10mm hole in the corner so
that I could start the jigsaw in there. I've never got a good result
though. Presumably if I was doing this *a lot* then something like
the Fein would come into play.

Thanks (as ever) for your help. When finished I shall put up some
photos just so you can all share your opinions (positive or otherwise)
of what my handiwork.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I have the Bosch version of the Fein but prefer the jigsaw because its much
faster - also the blades for the Bosch are very expensive (£6+ each) and
don't last that long.

Thanks (as ever) for your help. When finished I shall put up some
photos just so you can all share your opinions (positive or otherwise)
of what my handiwork.

Look forward to seeing them.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 00:47:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

in the past I've tried things like drilling a 10mm hole in the corner so
that I could start the jigsaw in there. I've never got a good result
though.

That is what I would do but ensure that the edges of the hole were a few
mm away from the final cut positions. Cut down the board and past the hole
to the crossing line. Back the saw past the hole and cut into it, repeat
the other side. Then join the two holes. Finally start on the cross cut
near one of the holes and trim the cross cut as required to the meet the
other down the board cut and then reverse for the other corner.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Given that the jigsaw seems to be the tool of choice here, I dug it
out last night to see if I needed new blades. If I use either Dave or
TMH's solution, I'll need to cut some curves, so I guess a narrow
blade is required (letting the blade do the work without forcing it to
avoid the blade bending).

Unfortunately, it seems I have some really odd blades. Instead of
being "T" or "U" shaped, they look something like this:- (apologies
for the amateur ascii art)
¦¦
¦¦
¦_--
¦
¦0
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦__

Its from a black and decker bought about 4 or 5 years ago, but I can't
find reference to the type of blade on their website. They only have
Ts and Us.

Any ideas for a possible supplier?

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 19, 7:20*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
Unfortunately, it seems I have some really odd blades. *Instead of
being "T" or "U" shaped, they look something like this:- (apologies
for the amateur ascii art)

Do they look like this?http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15283/...s/Wood/Bosch-W...

Or thesehttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/15489/Blades/Jigsaw-Blades/Wood/Bosch-W...

Ignore the type of blade, its just the end.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

No, that's the thing - they don't look like either of those. I've
just got home and checked the number of the jigsaw that I've got. Its
a Black and Decker KS990E, sometimes referred to on t'interweb as a
"buzzsaw". I guess it was a cheap buy when I got it, and now I know
why!!!

Here's a link to the product:-
http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/proddetail.php?prod=KS990EKT

Anyway, if I need to buy a new saw, so-be-it. THough as I don't use
it much, I might be able to make do with the blades that I already
have.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Ah. Not really a jigsaw. Prolly uses blades made just for that machine -
unless;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/71339/...5Tpi-Pack-of-5

Might use reciprocating saw blades.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:21:26 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Here's a link to the product:-
http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/proddetail.php?prod=KS990EKT

It's difficult to tell from that image but the blade ends look fairly
similar to the second link that Dave posted. ie, with a U shaped notch on
the end, they appear to have hole as well. I have some B&D branded blades
with hole some without... Why don't you take a blade down to a shed and
see what matches the fixing end?

--
Cheers
Dave.