Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Default novice with skirting boards

A very small bedroom (2M x 2.5M approx) is being redecorated. We are also
replacing the old and battered skirting boards.

Someone suggested we 'seal' these boards. (two of the walls are external
facing). I have only seen sealant in big 5 Litre containers (we live in
north london). Since we dont need all that amount, could they be sealed on
the wall facing sides with some Santex exernal wall paint we already have?
Or would this not be a good idea?

The walls where the skirting boards go on is a very rough. So should I
forget this 'no more nails' adhesive type stuff and buy some of the
original 'clout' type nails that held the boards up; or is there a better
way? thanks for any advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

JWBH wrote:
A very small bedroom (2M x 2.5M approx) is being redecorated. We are also
replacing the old and battered skirting boards.

Someone suggested we 'seal' these boards. (two of the walls are external
facing). I have only seen sealant in big 5 Litre containers (we live in
north london). Since we dont need all that amount, could they be sealed on
the wall facing sides with some Santex exernal wall paint we already have?
Or would this not be a good idea?

No point in trying to seal them, they're only decorative. If you have a
damp problem, best to sort that out first

The walls where the skirting boards go on is a very rough. So should I
forget this 'no more nails' adhesive type stuff and buy some of the
original 'clout' type nails that held the boards up; or is there a better
way? thanks for any advice.

Adhesive every time, especially on a rough surface. Quicker, neater, but
use it like it's going out of fashion for a good bond.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

"JWBH" wrote in message
A very small bedroom (2M x 2.5M approx) is being redecorated. We are also
replacing the old and battered skirting boards.

Someone suggested we 'seal' these boards. (two of the walls are external
facing). I have only seen sealant in big 5 Litre containers (we live in
north london). Since we dont need all that amount, could they be sealed
on the wall facing sides with some Santex exernal wall paint we already
have? Or would this not be a good idea?

The walls where the skirting boards go on is a very rough. So should I
forget this 'no more nails' adhesive type stuff and buy some of the
original 'clout' type nails that held the boards up; or is there a better
way? thanks for any advice.

Aren't clout nails the ones with the big heads? If so, that would be the
last thing I'd want on my skirting.
Using "No more nails" on mine was impossible due to the bend / unevenness of
my walls so I just used oval nails and once varnished they couldn't be seen.
In my last house I just used panel pins to secure them. In fact now I think
about it, I haven't used any kind of fix on the skirting boards upstairs,
they have just been cut that tight they don't move as they are wedged
together.

Who told you to seal the boards? Did they not mean seal the boards as in run
some sealant / filler between the boards and wall once fitted?

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

JWBH wrote:

The walls where the skirting boards go on is a very rough. So should I
forget this 'no more nails' adhesive type stuff and buy some of the
original 'clout' type nails that held the boards up; or is there a
better way? thanks for any advice.

Use Polyfilla to fill any big holes behind the skirting, and make the suface
as smooth as you can without too much effort.

Then use Gripfill to stick the skirting boards on. When they are firmly
stuck, run a thin bead of decorators caulk along the top to fill any
remaining small gaps.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Stuart Noble wrote:
JWBH wrote:

The walls where the skirting boards go on is a very rough. So should I
forget this 'no more nails' adhesive type stuff and buy some of the
original 'clout' type nails that held the boards up; or is there a
better way? thanks for any advice.

Adhesive every time, especially on a rough surface. Quicker, neater, but
use it like it's going out of fashion for a good bond.

Really? That sounds like a recipe for screws and wallplugs to me...#

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Lobster wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
JWBH wrote:

The walls where the skirting boards go on is a very rough. So should
I forget this 'no more nails' adhesive type stuff and buy some of
the original 'clout' type nails that held the boards up; or is there
a better way? thanks for any advice.

Adhesive every time, especially on a rough surface. Quicker, neater,
but use it like it's going out of fashion for a good bond.

Really? That sounds like a recipe for screws and wallplugs to me...#

David

A thick bead top and bottom so it squirts out at the edges. Like tile
adhesive, it sticks initially by suction
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Use Polyfilla to fill any big holes behind the skirting, and make the
suface as smooth as you can without too much effort.

Polyfilla is expensive and not suitable for large holes because of the way
it dries. One coat patching plaster is the best and most economical way
for the amateur plasterer.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Use Polyfilla to fill any big holes behind the skirting, and make the
suface as smooth as you can without too much effort.

Polyfilla is expensive and not suitable for large holes because of
the way it dries. One coat patching plaster is the best and most
economical way for the amateur plasterer.

Maybe we're differing on our definition of 'large'. I had in mind the sort
of hole you get when (say) a 2" circle of plaster comes away with a nail -
rather than *huge* areas. Pollyfilla - or a generic eqivalent from a shed -
is fine for this, and the OP is probably more likely to have a packet of
this lying around.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:21:02 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote:
JWBH wrote:

The walls where the skirting boards go on is a very rough. So should I
forget this 'no more nails' adhesive type stuff and buy some of the
original 'clout' type nails that held the boards up; or is there a
better way? thanks for any advice.

Adhesive every time, especially on a rough surface. Quicker, neater, but
use it like it's going out of fashion for a good bond.

Really? That sounds like a recipe for screws and wallplugs to me...#

This is what I do. If you glue or nail they will be harder to remove
again.

Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Roger Mills wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Use Polyfilla to fill any big holes behind the skirting, and make the
suface as smooth as you can without too much effort.

Polyfilla is expensive and not suitable for large holes because of
the way it dries. One coat patching plaster is the best and most
economical way for the amateur plasterer.

Maybe we're differing on our definition of 'large'. I had in mind the sort
of hole you get when (say) a 2" circle of plaster comes away with a nail -
rather than *huge* areas. Pollyfilla - or a generic eqivalent from a shed -
is fine for this, and the OP is probably more likely to have a packet of
this lying around.

I have yet to find anything better than filler. I've tried patching
plaster, Artex, and drywall joint filler because they're available in
bulk, but they don't quite have the non-shrink qualities of the
Polyfilla type products.
A compromise is to fill the bulk of the space with whatever plaster you
have lying around and finish off with filler

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
Polyfilla is expensive and not suitable for large holes because of
the way it dries. One coat patching plaster is the best and most
economical way for the amateur plasterer.

Maybe we're differing on our definition of 'large'. I had in mind the
sort of hole you get when (say) a 2" circle of plaster comes away with
a nail - rather than *huge* areas. Pollyfilla - or a generic eqivalent
from a shed - is fine for this, and the OP is probably more likely to
have a packet of this lying around.

But even a 2" circle of normal depth plaster will take for ever to dry if
filled with Pollyfilla in one go.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
I have yet to find anything better than filler. I've tried patching
plaster, Artex, and drywall joint filler because they're available in
bulk, but they don't quite have the non-shrink qualities of the
Polyfilla type products.
A compromise is to fill the bulk of the space with whatever plaster you
have lying around and finish off with filler

If patching plaster shrunk it wouldn't be any use for making good. If it
is shrinking you're doing something wrong.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

Thanks to all. We went for putting on some patching plaster.

I rang the local B & Q and they said their gripfil costs £12.99, which seems
a lot.

Now that the surface we are sticking to is quite good, is there a
reasonably priced good alternative to gripfill to stick the skirting boards
on with please? thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

JWBH wrote:

Thanks to all. We went for putting on some patching plaster.

I rang the local B & Q and they said their gripfil costs £12.99, which seems
a lot.

Now that the surface we are sticking to is quite good, is there a
reasonably priced good alternative to gripfill to stick the skirting boards
on with please? thanks

If you want Gripfill by another name you can get the same product as a
Screwfix own brand.

If you want a better substitute at a lower price then hava a look at
EvoStick Nail and Seal, sold at B&Q.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

On Mar 28, 12:42 pm, "JWBH" wrote:
Thanks to all. We went for putting on some patching plaster.

I rang the local B & Q and they said their gripfil costs £12.99, which seems
a lot.

Now that the surface we are sticking to is quite good, is there a
reasonably priced good alternative to gripfill to stick the skirting boards
on with please? thanks

Where are you based?

You can pick Gripfill up from Screwfix or TLC or any other decent
builders merchant.

£12.99 is taking the **** - it's possible they were confused as to
what you were asking for?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ves/index.html

Regards,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

"JWBH" wrote in message

Thanks to all. We went for putting on some patching plaster.

I rang the local B & Q and they said their gripfil costs £12.99, which
seems
a lot.

Now that the surface we are sticking to is quite good, is there a
reasonably priced good alternative to gripfill to stick the skirting
boards
on with please? thanks

Gripfill £1.89 from screwfix if you have a trade counter handy.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...earch=gripfill

or "I Can't Believe It's Not Nails " for £1.29
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?ac...c3%9f&ts=85248

I like this one "Sticks like sh*t" if only for its name!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

JWBH wrote:
Thanks to all. We went for putting on some patching plaster.

I rang the local B & Q and they said their gripfil costs £12.99, which seems
a lot.

Sounds like a pack of 4 or 6! Try

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...pfil&x=14&y=8#

Or any builders merchant

Now that the surface we are sticking to is quite good, is there a
reasonably priced good alternative to gripfill to stick the skirting boards
on with please? thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
JWBH wrote:
Thanks to all. We went for putting on some patching plaster.

I rang the local B & Q and they said their gripfil costs £12.99, which
seems
a lot.

Sounds like a pack of 4 or 6! Try

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...pfil&x=14&y=8#

Or any builders merchant

Now that the surface we are sticking to is quite good, is there a
reasonably priced good alternative to gripfill to stick the skirting
boards
on with please? thanks

found gripfil at a 'buildbase' not far from me for £2.20 odd. thanks to
all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home

My carpenter friend swears by gripfil but he always uses countersunk
screws in skirting aswell. When I work with him I sand the holes
removing any stray bits of wood and fill with a lightweight filler.
This will not shrink and can be painted over the same day. I always
leave it overnight though. prime/undercoat is essential before the
final coat.

JWBH wrote:
Thanks to all. We went for putting on some patching plaster.

I rang the local B & Q and they said their gripfil costs £12.99, which
seems
a lot.

Sounds like a pack of 4 or 6! Try

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...LLYCSTHZOCFGA?....

Or any builders merchant

Now that the surface we are sticking to is quite good, is there a
reasonably priced good alternative to gripfill to stick the skirting
boards
on with please? thanks

found gripfil at a 'buildbase' not far from me for £2.20 odd. thanks to
all.

Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves Cordless Crazy UK diy 12 March 12th 06 02:11 PM
New skirting boards Neil D. UK diy 2 January 3rd 06 08:47 PM
wiring behind skirting boards markzoom UK diy 101 April 3rd 05 12:14 PM
skirting boards andrewpreece UK diy 9 October 21st 04 12:05 PM
Novice needs help with MDF boards JW Woodworking 9 September 27th 04 07:44 AM