Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil D.

Default New skirting boards

Hi,

I was orginally gonna lay a new wood floor down prior to fitting the
skirting boards.

This so the SB's sit on top and hide the cut edges of the flooring.

I'm now gonna go the carpet route. I know i've seen the skirting boards
right down at floor level, but would the carpet fitters appreciate the same
offset (gap etc) so they could tuck the carpet underneath?

Just thought it'd make for a tidy job.

Thanks

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Neil D. wrote:
Hi,

I was orginally gonna lay a new wood floor down prior to fitting the
skirting boards.

This so the SB's sit on top and hide the cut edges of the flooring.

I'm now gonna go the carpet route. I know i've seen the skirting boards
right down at floor level, but would the carpet fitters appreciate the same
offset (gap etc) so they could tuck the carpet underneath?

Don't think so. They like to tuck it down parallel to the SB.
Make sure your skirting is firmly fixed. That stretcher thing they use
tends to put pressure on the bottom edge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

"Neil D." wrote in message
Hi,

I was orginally gonna lay a new wood floor down prior to fitting the
skirting boards.

This so the SB's sit on top and hide the cut edges of the flooring.

I'm now gonna go the carpet route. I know i've seen the skirting boards
right down at floor level, but would the carpet fitters appreciate the
same offset (gap etc) so they could tuck the carpet underneath?

Just thought it'd make for a tidy job.

Thanks

Neil

In our extension, in 2 bedrooms, I fitted our pre-painted skirting board
surrounds with CSK screws so undersides are about 12mm off top of 19mm
chipboard flooring panels. Then the fitted carpets were cut that extra bit
longer and wider, and went literally wall to wall. The grip track is still
nailed 25mm from (and parallel to) SB. Underlay is not used at edges. The
fitter had encountered this preference before and obligingly hid the carpet
ends -under- the SBs. It looks better. [I did the same in the bathroom, but
undersides 8mm above w-2-w vinyl flooring - to trap it curved up like some
hospital floors.]
Or you can remove SBs and restore them about 12mm higher after the
wall-to-wall fitting! Remember, plastering is not always perfect behind
nailed SBs at bottoms of walls, so expect lots of gaps may need to be
patched.
Jim