Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Notching deck boards - novice advice

I've just completed stage one of my deck (getting the frame in
place). Possibly not up to the standard of many on here, but it is
solid, level, straight and rigid; I'm pleased.

I'm installing posts for a handrail on the inside of the frame, which
means I'll be cutting large notches in the deckboards to accommodate
the posts. I'm concerned that this will be the most likely place
where I'll make a really visible cockup, so I thought I'd ask for some
advice on how to do this neatly.

The tools I have at my disposal a-
- jigsaw (advice on type of blade recommended)
- tenon saw
- hacksaw
- Makita 12v drill / driver (and assorted bits)
- padsaw
- brute force (!)

The bit i struggle with is achieving the horizontal cut between the
two vertical cuts to make the gap wide enough for the post.

Any joiners tips for a neat finish gratefully received.

Matt