Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Notching deck boards - novice advice

wrote:
I've just completed stage one of my deck (getting the frame in
place). Possibly not up to the standard of many on here, but it is
solid, level, straight and rigid; I'm pleased.

I'm installing posts for a handrail on the inside of the frame, which
means I'll be cutting large notches in the deckboards to accommodate
the posts. I'm concerned that this will be the most likely place
where I'll make a really visible cockup, so I thought I'd ask for some
advice on how to do this neatly.

The tools I have at my disposal a-
- jigsaw (advice on type of blade recommended)
- tenon saw
- hacksaw
- Makita 12v drill / driver (and assorted bits)
- padsaw
- brute force (!)

The bit i struggle with is achieving the horizontal cut between the
two vertical cuts to make the gap wide enough for the post.

Any joiners tips for a neat finish gratefully received.

Not a joiner, just a general wood butcher & deck builder :-)

Mark the two lines for the vertical cuts. Start cutting the right hand
vertical one with a jigsaw but halfway along the vertical line veer off to
the left until you meet the horizontal line. Cut along the horizontal line
until you reach the left vertical line.

Now cut straight up the left vertical until you meet the horizontal & a bit
will fall out - like half a capital 'D'.

Cut along the horizontal until you meet the right horizontal line. Continue
the original cut along the right hand vertical.

Hope that makes sense, easier to show you than describe it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk