Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] matthew.larkin@gmail.com is offline

Default Notching deck boards - novice advice

On 18 Sep, 19:32, "The Medway Handyman"
I've just completed stage one of my deck (getting the frame in
place). *Possibly not up to the standard of many on here, but it is
solid, level, straight and rigid; I'm pleased.

I'm installing posts for a handrail on the inside of the frame, which
means I'll be cutting large notches in the deckboards to accommodate
the posts. *I'm concerned that this will be the most likely place
where I'll make a really visible cockup, so I thought I'd ask for some
advice on how to do this neatly.

The tools I have at my disposal a-
- jigsaw (advice on type of blade recommended)
- tenon saw
- hacksaw
- Makita 12v drill / driver (and assorted bits)
- padsaw
- brute force (!)

The bit i struggle with is achieving the horizontal cut between the
two vertical cuts to make the gap wide enough for the post.

Any joiners tips for a neat finish gratefully received.

Not a joiner, just a general wood butcher & deck builder :-)

Mark the two lines for the vertical cuts. *Start cutting the right hand
vertical one with a jigsaw but halfway along the vertical line veer off to
the left until you meet the horizontal line. *Cut along the horizontal line
until you reach the left vertical line.

Now cut straight up the left vertical until you meet the horizontal & a bit
will fall out - like half a capital 'D'.

Cut along the horizontal until you meet the right horizontal line. *Continue
the original cut along the right hand vertical.

Hope that makes sense, easier to show you than describe it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Many thanks. That was the way I was thinking of heading, though in
the past I've tried things like drilling a 10mm hole in the corner so
that I could start the jigsaw in there. I've never got a good result
though. Presumably if I was doing this *a lot* then something like
the Fein would come into play.

Thanks (as ever) for your help. When finished I shall put up some
photos just so you can all share your opinions (positive or otherwise)
of what my handiwork.

Matt