Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Colour Temperature (was CFLs and UHF interference)

Mortimer wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
Mortimer wrote:
I do accept that some are utter crap. A while ago I drove a Honda Jazz
CVT. That was very nice - but the engine could have done with being much
more powerful!

I'd like to drive a car with CVT or a DSG transmission. The VW Golf DSG is
supposed to be very good - smooth gearchanges up and down under the driver's
control or under automatic control - best of all worlds.

I remember in the early 80s getting lifts from a guy with a Volvo that had
Daf CVT. It seemed to have a very sensitive change-down and very late
change-up: it was weird when he set off from rest to hear the engine racing
and then the car would gradually pick up speed with the engine still racing
after which the engine note would slow down.

Re DAF, so did I. Wind up, wind up, wind up, go!!!!

The Jazz version is like a super-duper one of those with something
ensuring that the revs are kept sensible - veyr close to what I would
have chosen.

Heard of the DSG - and would like to try it sometime. Maybe I'll ask for
a test drive...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
snip

Re DAF, so did I. Wind up, wind up, wind up, go!!!!

Bloody horrid transmission, lethal in the wrong hands - literally,
there were more than a few cases of malfunctioning (wrongly set up)
transmissions ending up killing those trying to meddle...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
hwh wrote:

Dave wrote:

hwh wrote:

Mortimer wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

and brake lights kept permanently on when drivers are stationary
in a queue of traffic. Why can't people use ther handbrake rather
than footbrake when they are stopped at traffic lights?

I am going to assume that you are getting on in years here. It
seems like the driving schools teach this to drivers going to
about 40 years ago.

I'm in my mid 40s. I learned in the early 80s, taught by an ex
police Class 1 driving instructor. Same thing was reiterated when I
took my IAM test ten year later. So are modern-day pupils taught to
keep their foot on the footbrake at traffic lights and not to use
the handbrake? How standards have slipped ;-)

People driving cars with automatic gearboxes keep their foots on the
brake pedal to keep the car from creeping forward.

Foots?

What is wrong with their hand brake then?

It is much easier using the foot brake because then they just have to
shift their foot when the light changes.

And those of us who liked manual gearboxes because they allow you to
select what gear you want to be in, use the left foot to brake with in
an auto so we can use the right to force a kickdown in mid corner ;-)

I wish some manufacturer would produce a really 'sport' auto progammed
box..one that says' I will keep the revs vbetween 2000 and 5000 as long
as I can'

Autos are great for traffic. And a lot better for the average driver to
whom any gear change is a constant challenge, and clutch control means
how to avoid getting pawed in a nightclub.

gr, hwh

Autos are great after you lose that left foot looking for the clutch
reaction, as you come to a stop.

Dave
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-19 20:34:25 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"Rod" wrote in message
snip

Re DAF, so did I. Wind up, wind up, wind up, go!!!!

Bloody horrid transmission, lethal in the wrong hands - literally,
there were more than a few cases of malfunctioning (wrongly set up)
transmissions ending up killing those trying to meddle...

How?

I now of one case were someone sitting in the car died due to a
snapped neck and another case of someone run down by the car he was
working on, the system used vacuum to active the variable cones (thus
gear ratio) and clutch, AIUI the wrong engine revs coupled to the
wrong vacuum settings could cause the car to achieve a very much
higher velocity from a standing start than normal or expected, that
could also defeat the parking brake. They were also lethal to the
local cat population who would climb into the nice warm belt area,
squished cat makes quite a mess....

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message

Re DAF, so did I. Wind up, wind up, wind up, go!!!!

Bloody horrid transmission, lethal in the wrong hands - literally,
there were more than a few cases of malfunctioning (wrongly set up)
transmissions ending up killing those trying to meddle...

How?

I know of one case were someone sitting in the car died due to a snapped
neck and another case of someone run down by the car he was working on,
the system used vacuum to active the variable cones (thus gear ratio) and
clutch, AIUI the wrong engine revs coupled to the wrong vacuum settings
could cause the car to achieve a very much higher velocity from a standing
start than normal or expected, that could also defeat the parking brake.
They were also lethal to the local cat population who would climb into the
nice warm belt area, squished cat makes quite a mess....

So in the first case the car engaged a very low gear with high engine revs
and that achieved enough acceleration to snap the driver's neck? That must
be one hell of an acceleration! How come you never hear of similar cases
with manual or conventional automatic transmission if you floor the
accelerator in first?

I'd thought that the belt/pulley area was sealed in a case rather than being
open to the elements. If it was open, wouldn't there also be a problem with
mud and water getting in if you went through a ford or over muddy ground?

Are all cars with CVT rear-wheel drive or have they managed to fit the
belt/pulley mechanism under the bonnet alongside the engine in modern cars
with this transmission?

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

Mortimer wrote:

I had a very bad experience with an automatic Ford Focus that was hired for
me to make a business trip: it had an aversion to going over 50 mph: the
more power I applied, the further it changed down - I could have 50 in any
of 5th, 4th, 3rd or 2nd gear! On the M25, every time I got the car up to 70,
some poxy HGV would pull out in front of me, requiring me to brake to 50 and
then take several miles to coax the car back up to 70 without provoking it
to change down.

Sounds like an over zealous kick-down switch/sensor.

I've driven autos for 25 years, though I don't ponce about with anything less
than a 2 litre engine :-)

--
Mark
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Mortimer" wrote in message
":Jerry:" wrote in message

[...]

Remember that part of the problem was the fact that it was unexpected
movement, and that older cars were not fitted with head restraints.

How come you never hear of similar cases
with manual or conventional automatic transmission if you floor the
accelerator in first?

Because of inevitable clutch slip (otherwise the engine would just
stall) together with the fact that the driver could never change up
(or down that quickly), and in the case of conventional automatic
transmission, the action of the torque-converter.

I'd thought that the belt/pulley area was sealed in a case rather
than being open to the elements. If it was open, wouldn't there also
be a problem with mud and water getting in if you went through a
ford or over muddy ground?

They were protected by plastic under-guards, the trouble was that they
were not fully encased, this allowed cooling and casual inspection,
but allowed would and pet life to gain access to a nice warn area
after the car had been used. You also have to remember that the belts
used on the DAF/Volvo 'Veriamatic' were nothing more that very wide
section rubber/fabric V belts (similar to the conventional old
fashioned fan-belt), so as long as they didn't ingest solid objects
they didn't come to much harm.

Are all cars with CVT rear-wheel drive or have they managed to fit
the belt/pulley mechanism under the bonnet alongside the engine in
modern cars with this transmission?

IIRC the first two cars to use the modern incarnation of CVT, that is
were they use an metal-lastic belt inside the gearbox, were front
wheel drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes
As for motorcycles, why do they drive round using
full beam?

I don't, I use dipped beam

That really gives me black spots in my vision. I've started
to put mine on now, when they approach me.

AFAIK you can't buy a motorcycle in the UK where you can switch the
headlights off!

Err ... what ?

off / parking / beam switch works for me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Mortimer" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:

(Men have better night vision. Picking fruit vs hunting rabbits?)

****ing on target at 3am, without having to put the bathroom light on ?

IKWYM. Doesn't the light hurt the eyes if you do switch it on. :-(
I have good night vision and it gets spoiled by cars at both night and
day, who have badly aligned head lights, or fog lamps. Do drivers assume
that their fog lamps are driving lights, because they are not yellow? On
the same subject, I get blinded by the number of drivers that are using
head lights during the day and there is nothing better to distract you,
when they start flashing their lights in your rear view mirror as they
bounce along the road. As for motorcycles, why do they drive round using
full beam? That really gives me black spots in my vision. I've started to
put mine on now, when they approach me.

I've no problem with motorbikes using headlights during the day - anything
that makes them more visible as they overtake

on the inside, on the motorway...

If you're doing 30mph in the middle (first overtaking) lane, probably

--
geoff
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Autos are great after you lose that left foot looking for the clutch
reaction, as you come to a stop.

Dave

I was advised to tuck my left leg under my seat until I got used to it.

It worked.

Andy
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:

I now of one case were someone sitting in the car died due to a
snapped neck

That's a real achievement. The car obviously accelerated at a much
higher rate than is possible for a normal car, because dropped clutches
even in the most powerful of ordinary vehicles don't break necks.

It's a real achievement because the limiting factor on anything over
about a 1300 is traction. It must have had really special tyres.

Or was this a friend of a friend who heard of someone who...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes
As for motorcycles, why do they drive round using
full beam?

I don't, I use dipped beam

That really gives me black spots in my vision. I've started
to put mine on now, when they approach me.

AFAIK you can't buy a motorcycle in the UK where you can switch the
headlights off!

Err ... what ?

off / parking / beam switch works for me

--
geoff

Actually, Arfa Daily *didn't* write that ... d;~}

Arfa

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

":Jerry:" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

":Jerry:" wrote in message

"Rod" wrote in message
snip

The parking brake used in some cars (e.g. some European Mercedes as
well as many US motors) requires the use of a leg to apply it. There
are many drivers who for various reasons can drive the car fine but
cannot apply this brake. (You sort of need to lift your knee up to
your chin in order to get your foot onto the pedal. Then press down
quite hard with your leg.) I suspect that many drivers never use it -
just leaving the car in P when parked.

If they can't operate the vehicle they should not be driving it,
especially on an automatic.

Have you ever driven such a vehicle in the U.S. ?

...and haddock is 10 GBP per lb........

And your point is ?? So have you ? Making silly noises about haddock,
does not answer a straightforward question, or is the answer "no" ... ?

What f*cking difference does it make if I have or haven't, FFS I probably
driven more vehicle than you have sat in, as I said you question was about
as pointless as asking for the price of fish here.

The fact is, if you can't operate all the *safety* related controls you
should not be using the vehicle or what ever.

The difference it makes, you self opinionated ass, is that if you have never
driven an american vehicle which has the type of parking brake that was
being discussed, then you are not qualified to comment on whether people who
have, are competent or not to be in control of such a vehicle. It really
doesn't matter how many different vehicles you have driven. If you haven't
had experience of the ones being discussed, your opinions in regard of their
actual drivers are valueless.

From your vehemently defensive responses, and silly 'cost of fish'
deflections, I have to assume that you do not have experience of driving
these vehicles in the USA, so allow me to put you straight.

The pedal operated parking brake, which is found on many american vehicles,
is intended to be just that - a PARKING brake. Unlike a UK handbrake lever,
it is not intended to be a supplemental brake to the footbrake. As others
have said, its operation requires the left leg to be lifted very high off
the floor, and considerable effort then needs to be applied, to engage it.
The release lever is often located under the dash, above the pedal, and is
not particularly easily operated.

The 'difficulties' of both engaging and releasing this brake, are of no
consequence when you are parked up and going nowhere. However, they would be
significant if you attempted to use this brake as an 'in traffic' supplement
to the footbrake, in the same way as proper drivers here, use the handbrake
at traffic lights.

Arfa

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Autos are great for traffic. And a lot better for the average driver to
whom any gear change is a constant challenge, and clutch control means
how to avoid getting pawed in a nightclub.

gr, hwh
Agreed. I see little advantage to manual in 0-30 mph traffic. And not
much more between 30 and 50. Nor at a constant 70. As almost all roads I
travel are limited to 50 or lower - or are motorways - little point in
manual.

Clutch pedal can play merry hell with plantar fasciitis.

Does that mean that it makes all the diodes in your left leg ache ... ?
:-)

Referring to:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0003999398900028 ??

--
Rod

Referring to Marvin the manically depressive robot in "Hitch-Hikers" ....
:-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Mortimer" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message

?

[...]

I guess you don't get out on motorways too much then ... I was on the M25
earlier this week, and had motorbikes come around the inside of me in all
three lanes - yes, the inside lane as well. All were just taking the
'easiest' route through the traffic for them, and sod the rest of us who
couldn't weave around like they could. What with all the foreign trucks, the
people who can't use a slip road, the people who have no idea what lane
speed structure is about, and particularly irresponsible motorbike riders,
the motorways are becoming more dangerous almost by the week.

Arfa

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes
"Mortimer" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:

[...]

Certainly the M40 has seemed like that.

Shocking M40 statistics
By Neil Phillips

11:37am Saturday 31st May 2008

ACCIDENTS on the south Bucks stretch of the M40 have more than doubled
since the year 2000, firefighters revealed this week at the end of 12
months of tragedy.

Tomorrow marks the first anniversary of the horrific accident that began
the year of carnage on the M40.

lots more detail and comments

http://www.bfp.co.uk/display.var.2308559.0.shocking_m40_statistics.php

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

":Jerry:" wrote in message

snip

The fact is, if you can't operate all the *safety* related controls
you should not be using the vehicle or what ever.

The difference it makes, you self opinionated ass, is that if you
have never driven an american vehicle which has the type of parking
brake that was being discussed,

snip ill-informed cu*nt headed trolling

You asked if I had ever driven IN America, not if I had driven an
American car, but either question is still TOTALLY irrelevant as it
doesn't change the FACT that if you can't operate all the safety
critical controls than you should not be using the vehicle. Now ****
off troll and run along to your mummy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:57:47 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

Actually enforcing speed limits would be a fuel/emission saving
measure.

How? by increasing congestion? Right..

One of the reasons it would reduce emissions is by reducing
congestion.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

That just proves that you know **** all...

It's a real achievement because the limiting factor on anything over
about a 1300 is traction. It must have had really special tyres.

That just proves that you know **** all...

Or was this a friend of a friend who heard of someone who...

Or that you are just clueless....

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

snip

I guess you don't get out on motorways too much then ... I was on
the M25 earlier this week, and had motorbikes come around the inside
of me in all three lanes - yes, the inside lane as well. All were
just taking the 'easiest' route through the traffic for them, and
sod the rest of us who couldn't weave around like they could. What
with all the foreign trucks, the people who can't use a slip road,
the people who have no idea what lane speed structure is about, and
particularly irresponsible motorbike riders, the motorways are
becoming more dangerous almost by the week.

Yes, especially with ****tards like you who can't drive, I though you
said that you had driven in the USA - think about it, and you claim
that you can't cope with the M25....

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes
"Mortimer" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:

(Men have better night vision. Picking fruit vs hunting
rabbits?)

****ing on target at 3am, without having to put the bathroom
light on ?
IKWYM. Doesn't the light hurt the eyes if you do switch it on.
:-(
[...]

The trouble with that article is that it doesn't actually categorise
what level of accidents they were, just saying something like "They
show that during 2007 the fire service was summoned to 75 traffic
collisions. This was a significant jump from 2006, which saw
fire-fighters tackle 54 collisions. And the figures for 2000 show
there were just 31 traffic collisions that the service was called to."
is totally meaning less without doing so, considering that the Fire
and Rescue service could get called out for anything from split
chemicals (possibly even a split battery) to a 100 vehicle pile up
were every vehicle needed cutting open. Then we get this cracker, "But
Fraser Pearson, spokesman for Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue, noted
that fire-fighters were not called to all collisions.", trying to
imply that the road could be even worse, I hope the junior hack who
obviously wrote the article doesn't expect the Fire and Rescue service
be called out to every case were there has been not injury never mind
rescue needed?!...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:

The pedal operated parking brake, which is found on many american vehicles,
is intended to be just that - a PARKING brake. Unlike a UK handbrake lever,
it is not intended to be a supplemental brake to the footbrake. As others
have said, its operation requires the left leg to be lifted very high off
the floor, and considerable effort then needs to be applied, to engage it.
The release lever is often located under the dash, above the pedal, and is
not particularly easily operated.

The 'difficulties' of both engaging and releasing this brake, are of no
consequence when you are parked up and going nowhere. However, they would be
significant if you attempted to use this brake as an 'in traffic' supplement
to the footbrake, in the same way as proper drivers here, use the handbrake
at traffic lights.

Precisely. At a particular garage, I was told they expected 90% (or
somewhere around there) of drivers almost never to use the parking brake
at all. (That was *their* observation - I am just passing it on.)

(On a RHD model, you have to raise your right leg. :-) )

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

:Jerry: wrote:

http://www.bfp.co.uk/display.var.2308559.0.shocking_m40_statistics.php

The trouble with that article is that it ...

.... was written by a BFP journo.

However, the perception of people in the area is that the M40 (in S
Bucks) has become much more dangerous year on year.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

http://www.bfp.co.uk/display.var.2308559.0.shocking_m40_statistics.php

The trouble with that article is that it ...

... was written by a BFP journo.

However, the perception of people in the area is that the M40 (in S
Bucks) has become much more dangerous year on year.

Every road has, it's due to the never ever increasing amount of
traffic on roads designed for (probably) 50pc less traffic (and the
road is still many times safer than any A or B road), perception is
one thing, hard figures is another - a 5pc increase in accidents
sounds bad until one compares that figure with the fact that the
traffic level has increased by 15pc or what ever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote this:-

Actually enforcing speed limits would be a fuel/emission saving
measure.

How? by increasing congestion? Right..

One of the reasons it would reduce emissions is by reducing
congestion.

Don't waste your time TNP is a speeder and will say anything to justify his
better driving ability and ability to drive faster, safer than everyone
else.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

:Jerry: wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

http://www.bfp.co.uk/display.var.2308559.0.shocking_m40_statistics.php

The trouble with that article is that it ...

... was written by a BFP journo.

However, the perception of people in the area is that the M40 (in S
Bucks) has become much more dangerous year on year.

Every road has, it's due to the never ever increasing amount of
traffic on roads designed for (probably) 50pc less traffic (and the
road is still many times safer than any A or B road), perception is
one thing, hard figures is another - a 5pc increase in accidents
sounds bad until one compares that figure with the fact that the
traffic level has increased by 15pc or what ever.

On what basis do you claim that? Rightly or wrongly, much local opinion
appears more focussed on things like changes to junction designs,
effects of roadworks and other factors.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 125761 20080619 184807 "Mortimer" wrote:

I loathe automatics: they change gear at the wrong time and are far too
inclined to change down in situations where I would hold onto a higher gear
and apply a bit more power. Negotiating roundabouts in an automatic is no
fun: I find that I either get too little acceleration in a high gear or
else, for just a tiny bit more power, the transmission changes right down
into first gear (well that's what it feels like) and I get far too much
acceleration. Nothing is worse than a car which changes gear by itself in
the middle of a manoeuvre when you're not expecting it.

I've driven automatics for 99% of the last 50 years and they change up more
or less when I want them to. It's all a matter of throttle control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

David Hansen wrote:

Actually enforcing speed limits would be a fuel/emission saving
measure.

Around here (and, I am sure in mahy other parts of the world),
"enforcing" speed limits has been done by much speed hump building.
While I do not have any figures to report, my instinct suggests that a
vehicle being driven at, say, a fairly steady 30 or 40 mph would
probably use considerably less fuel than one being repeatedly braked,
eased over a hump, manically accelerated for a few tens of metres, and
repeated up and down roads and hills.

(This is NOT to suggest driving at 40mph in an area which should be
30mph - or even 20mph - it is purely a question on fuel consumption.)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:39:36 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Arfa Daily
writes
As for motorcycles, why do they drive round using
full beam?

I don't, I use dipped beam

That really gives me black spots in my vision. I've started
to put mine on now, when they approach me.

AFAIK you can't buy a motorcycle in the UK where you can switch the
headlights off!

Err ... what ?

off / parking / beam switch works for me

What bike is this and how old? All the new/newish bikes I have seen
recently only have normal/main beam. However this only includes
examples from a few manufacturers.

I was told by a salesman that all bikes legally sold in the UK now do
not have an off switch. Maybe I shouldn't have believed him?

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

":Jerry:" wrote in message

snip

The fact is, if you can't operate all the *safety* related controls you
should not be using the vehicle or what ever.

The difference it makes, you self opinionated ass, is that if you have
never driven an american vehicle which has the type of parking brake that
was being discussed,

snip ill-informed cu*nt headed trolling

You asked if I had ever driven IN America, not if I had driven an American
car, but either question is still TOTALLY irrelevant as it doesn't change
the FACT that if you can't operate all the safety critical controls than
you should not be using the vehicle. Now **** off troll and run along to
your mummy.

Learn to read, you half baked ****. I said, and I quote, "have you ever
driven SUCH A VEHICLE in the U.S. ?"

As you clearly don't understand plain english, the phrase " SUCH A VEHICLE"
refers specifically to the vehicle 'BEING DISCUSSED' . Get it ? Do I need to
drop to words of one syllable for you ?

As you have still not answered the question, then obviously you have NOT
driven in the U.S. at all, let alone a vehicle of the type BEING DISCUSSED,
so it is your views that are irrelevant, not my question.

To suggest that any person who drives SUCH A VEHICLE is incapable of
operating controls that you do not begin to understand the nature of, and
that are only intended to be operated when the thing is either being parked,
or is about to be de-parked, is so monumentally stupid as to be beyond
belief. I say again, this control is NOT intended to be used for holding the
vehicle at traffic lights. Its positioning is NOT intended to make it easily
useable for such situations. Anyone who drives SUCH A VEHICLE is perfectly
capable of using this control, in its intended situation.

So, if you are incapable of contributing anything other than drivel to the
discussion, please don't call me an ill-informed ****, and **** off back
under your stone, yourself.

Take some advice friend. When the hole you're digging gets too big to climb
out of on your own, stop ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

":Jerry:" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

snip

I guess you don't get out on motorways too much then ... I was on the M25
earlier this week, and had motorbikes come around the inside of me in all
three lanes - yes, the inside lane as well. All were just taking the
'easiest' route through the traffic for them, and sod the rest of us who
couldn't weave around like they could. What with all the foreign trucks,
the people who can't use a slip road, the people who have no idea what
lane speed structure is about, and particularly irresponsible motorbike
riders, the motorways are becoming more dangerous almost by the week.

Yes, especially with ****tards like you who can't drive, I though you said
that you had driven in the USA - think about it, and you claim that you
can't cope with the M25....

Did I say that I couldn't cope with the M25 ? Boy you really are a ****
aren't you ? Did they not teach you to read and absorb the words at all at
school ? Or did you even go to school at all? In fact, you can't even spell
a lot of the time. ****tard now, am I ? I wonder where you picked up such an
'americanism', as you've never been there ? Oh, I know ! Whilst you were
spending all those sad lonely hours on your computer, trawling the 'net ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:32:26 +0100 someone who may be Rod
wrote this:-

Actually enforcing speed limits would be a fuel/emission saving
measure.

Around here (and, I am sure in mahy other parts of the world),
"enforcing" speed limits has been done by much speed hump building.

Enforcing speed limits can be done in a variety of ways, of which
this is just one.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

snip

Learn to read, you half baked ****. snip more total ignorance

Stop talking to yourself. Were, what, when is irrelevant, the control
we are talking about here is safety critical, if the driver can't
operate the control (s)he should not be using the vehicle. A parking
prawl in a autobox is not an equivalent to the parking brake - for all
the reasons given previously in this thread.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

":Jerry:" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Talking about yourself again.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote this:-

Actually enforcing speed limits would be a fuel/emission saving
measure.

Around here (and, I am sure in mahy other parts of the world),
"enforcing" speed limits has been done by much speed hump building.

Enforcing speed limits can be done in a variety of ways, of which
this is just one.

So perhaps:

Actually enforcing speed limits *could* be a fuel/emission saving
measure. In reality, badly thought through implemntation
sometimes/often/always [1] cause an increase in fuel usage/emissions.

[1] Choose one.

Another exmaple very close to me. Major hill out of town. Became largely
30 mph and rigorously enforced often by mobile speed traps. Result -
huge queues and very slow moving traffic. Change to 40 (yes - it is very
rare to hear of an increase these days) and traffic improves
considerably. Again, I strongly suspect that the 30mph limit, enforced,
actually caused more fuel usage/emissions than the current 40 mph.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-20, Arfa Daily wrote:

The pedal operated parking brake, which is found on many american
vehicles,
is intended to be just that - a PARKING brake. Unlike a UK
handbrake lever,
it is not intended to be a supplemental brake to the footbrake. As
others
have said, its operation requires the left leg to be lifted very
high off
the floor, and considerable effort then needs to be applied, to
engage it.

The only way I could have operated the parking brake in the Dodge
Caravan I
drove in the USA once was to have had another joint surgically
inserted into my
left shin. They're an effing stupid idea. That'll be why :Jerkoff:
likes them.

So don't drive the vehicle, you would need another complete leg (never
mind a another joint) to stand on if you found yourself in court after
having caused an accident.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

:Jerry: wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
snip
Learn to read, you half baked ****. snip more total ignorance

Stop talking to yourself. Were, what, when is irrelevant, the control
we are talking about here is safety critical, if the driver can't
operate the control (s)he should not be using the vehicle. A parking
prawl in a autobox is not an equivalent to the parking brake - for all
the reasons given previously in this thread.

You can always slam the box into R as an emergency brake. :-)

Regardless of your (and my) opinions on the matter, the fact is that a
considerable number of people have driven vehicles fitted with such
brakes but been unable to use them as you suggest - as an emergency
brake. Indeed, many have probably been unable to use them for parking.
Given the circumstances in which people might have been presented with a
vehicle so fitted, it might not have appeared
sensible/reasonable/possible to decline to drive it. Further, many
people will simply hnot have known the issues at all. (Given my
experience of car hire, the only thing they seem keen to tell you is
that you must sign your life away.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y

"Huge" wrote in message
Mortimer wrote:

I remember in the early 80s getting lifts from a guy with a Volvo that
had
Daf CVT. It seemed to have a very sensitive change-down and very late
change-up:

CVTs do not change up or down. Which bit of "continuous" is it that has
passed
you by?

Sorry if the terms "change up/down" misled you into thinking that I was
referring to a conventional gearbox with discrete ratios. I know that CVT is
continuous. Perhaps I should said "change to a lower/higher ratio"; if not,
what term should I have used?