Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker connection ...

I'm about to get a new free-standing range cooker delivered, that's going in
place of the existing hob / oven combination. I would like to have it
removable from its space. Are flexible rubber gas supply pipes with a
detachable bayonet fitting still ok for this sort of thing ? If so, I will
insist that the gas-fitter puts one on, as I seem to recall that in the
past, they were frowned on a bit by the 'pros', although I did have that
arrangement on a cooker at a previous house, and it never caused any
problems over a number of years' service.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
I'm about to get a new free-standing range cooker delivered, that's going in
place of the existing hob / oven combination. I would like to have it
removable from its space. Are flexible rubber gas supply pipes with a
detachable bayonet fitting still ok for this sort of thing ? If so, I will
insist that the gas-fitter puts one on, as I seem to recall that in the
past, they were frowned on a bit by the 'pros', although I did have that
arrangement on a cooker at a previous house, and it never caused any
problems over a number of years' service.

as far as I am aware flexi hoses are still commonly used for
free-standing cooker. Its built in hobs that need rigid piping. Make
sure your fitter fits the anti tilt device on the cooker as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:37:20 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

as far as I am aware flexi hoses are still commonly used for
free-standing cooker. Its built in hobs that need rigid piping. Make
sure your fitter fits the anti tilt device on the cooker as well.

Or a chain: an anti-tilt bracket on a range is particularly ridiculous
since you'd have to be built like a sumo wrestler to tilt it over whereas
there's still a danger of straining the hose by moving the cooker to get
access behind it.

--
John Stumbles

I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body
- until I realised what was telling me that
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:37:20 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

as far as I am aware flexi hoses are still commonly used for
free-standing cooker. Its built in hobs that need rigid piping. Make
sure your fitter fits the anti tilt device on the cooker as well.

Or a chain: an anti-tilt bracket on a range is particularly ridiculous
since you'd have to be built like a sumo wrestler to tilt it over whereas
there's still a danger of straining the hose by moving the cooker to get
access behind it.

--
John Stumbles

Good point. Now I come to think back, the flexi-hose installation that I had
some years back, had a chain on a hook in the wall.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:37:20 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

as far as I am aware flexi hoses are still commonly used for
free-standing cooker. Its built in hobs that need rigid piping. Make
sure your fitter fits the anti tilt device on the cooker as well.

Or a chain: an anti-tilt bracket on a range is particularly ridiculous
since you'd have to be built like a sumo wrestler to tilt it over whereas
there's still a danger of straining the hose by moving the cooker to get
access behind it.

--
John Stumbles

Good point. Now I come to think back, the flexi-hose installation that I
had some years back, had a chain on a hook in the wall.

Well there are two functions. The cooker requires [may need] an anti tilt so
that leaning on the oven door doesn't tip pans of boiling stuff over the
front edge. The chain ensures that, when the cooker is pulled out to clean
behind (or whatever) no strain is taken by the hose as the chain tightens
first. I think a gas installer would only worry about the second as it's
part of the gas safety.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:44:34 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

Well there are two functions. The cooker requires [may need] an anti
tilt so that leaning on the oven door doesn't tip pans of boiling stuff
over the front edge.

And with lightweight modern cookers with big heavy glass oven doors you
don't need to put much weight on the door to tip it either. Just resting
the weight of your arm on it can do it. BTDTGTTS, fortunately whilst
installing.

I think a gas installer would only worry about the second as it's
part of the gas safety.

Second being the safety chain first anti tilt device. Any "competent"
installer would fit and test both. See other thread "CORGI engineer
required to install new radiator?"

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:44:34 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

Well there are two functions. The cooker requires [may need] an anti
tilt so that leaning on the oven door doesn't tip pans of boiling stuff
over the front edge. The chain ensures that, when the cooker is pulled
out to clean behind (or whatever) no strain is taken by the hose as the
chain tightens first. I think a gas installer would only worry about the
second as it's part of the gas safety.

The chain or anti-tilt device is to protect the hose, not the user from
spilling pans of chip fat. (Otherwise we'd have the same regs for electric
cookers.)

--
John Stumbles

Women always generalise
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:44:34 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

Well there are two functions. The cooker requires [may need] an anti
tilt so that leaning on the oven door doesn't tip pans of boiling stuff
over the front edge. The chain ensures that, when the cooker is pulled
out to clean behind (or whatever) no strain is taken by the hose as the
chain tightens first. I think a gas installer would only worry about the
second as it's part of the gas safety.

The chain or anti-tilt device is to protect the hose, not the user from
spilling pans of chip fat. (Otherwise we'd have the same regs for electric
cookers.)

I have electric ones with the same anti tilt mechanisms...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
John Stumbles wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:44:34 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

Well there are two functions. The cooker requires [may need] an anti
tilt so that leaning on the oven door doesn't tip pans of boiling stuff
over the front edge. The chain ensures that, when the cooker is pulled
out to clean behind (or whatever) no strain is taken by the hose as the
chain tightens first. I think a gas installer would only worry about the
second as it's part of the gas safety.

The chain or anti-tilt device is to protect the hose, not the user from
spilling pans of chip fat. (Otherwise we'd have the same regs for
electric
cookers.)

I have electric ones with the same anti tilt mechanisms...

Indeed, and how does the anti tilt device protect the hose if you pull it
forward.? The only reliable way is to have a chain next to the hose but
shorter than it!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Regs aside, I can see real practical and worthwhile reasons for having
anti-tilt - but less so for protection of the hose. ISTM that the danger
from tipping some free standing cookers is quite significant -
especially those with bottom hinged oven doors. I would expect many
people never bother to pull the cooker out however.

--
Cheers,

John.

Gas cooker connection Mo UK diy 23 May 6th 07 12:42 PM
Bayonet gas cooker connection Grumps UK diy 4 December 5th 05 09:28 PM
Electric cooker connection petek UK diy 8 March 8th 05 11:23 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Cooker Socket over Cooker? Neil UK diy 8 July 20th 03 10:28 PM