Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OK to use washing soda for wall preparation?

Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean and
degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before repainting?

I don't want to buy sugar soap just for this one job and I have lots of
washing soda.

---------------------

Is it true I should not use Flash because it leaves a shine of slippery
silicates and emulsion paint will not adhere well to this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Zakko saying
something like:

Thank **** you're not a baker.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat 03 May 2008 11:22:34, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember Zakko
saying something like:

Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean
and degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before
repainting?

Thank **** you're not a baker.

Nope, I'm not a baker and anyway I don't like soda bread!

Have you got any info about my question?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:57:30 UTC, Zakko wrote:

On Sat 03 May 2008 11:22:34, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember Zakko
saying something like:

Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean
and degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before
repainting?

Thank **** you're not a baker.

Nope, I'm not a baker

That's a relief.

You don't get it, do you?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:57:30 UTC, Zakko wrote:

On Sat 03 May 2008 11:22:34, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember Zakko
saying something like:

Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean
and degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before
repainting?

Thank **** you're not a baker.

Nope, I'm not a baker

That's a relief.

You don't get it, do you?

http://www.diybanter.com

Do let him know...it'll stop him from raising his hopes that it will work.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zakko wrote:
Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean and
degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before repainting?

I don't want to buy sugar soap just for this one job and I have lots of
washing soda.

---------------------

Is it true I should not use Flash because it leaves a shine of slippery
silicates and emulsion paint will not adhere well to this?

Washing soda is sodium carbonate BTW, which is likely to soak into the
plaster and leave a deposit of hygroscopic salts.
Even if this is a kitchen where the deposits are oily/fatty, hot water
and detergent would be a better bet
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Zakko wrote:
Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean and
degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before repainting?

I don't want to buy sugar soap just for this one job and I have lots of
washing soda.

---------------------

Is it true I should not use Flash because it leaves a shine of slippery
silicates and emulsion paint will not adhere well to this?

You could buy a single sachet of sugar soap - 50g for 55p (incl. vat!).
If that is too much, perhaps you should consider spending even less
money by not buying emulsion paint either?

I promise you that having lots of something is no reason to use it
inappropriately. E.g. I have lots of mud in the garden, sawdust in the
garage, gravel on the drive, PVA in the shed. I wouldn't use any of them
for cleaning a wall.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Zakko wrote:
Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean and
degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before repainting?

I don't want to buy sugar soap just for this one job and I have lots
of washing soda.

---------------------

Is it true I should not use Flash because it leaves a shine of
slippery silicates and emulsion paint will not adhere well to this?

You could buy a single sachet of sugar soap - 50g for 55p (incl. vat!).
If that is too much, perhaps you should consider spending even less
money by not buying emulsion paint either?

I promise you that having lots of something is no reason to use it
inappropriately. E.g. I have lots of mud in the garden, sawdust in the
garage, gravel on the drive, PVA in the shed. I wouldn't use any of them
for cleaning a wall.

Oh FFS. What's the difference between washing soda and sugar soap
anyway? Pretty much bugger all. Both are strongly alkaline and IMO
shouldn't be used on plaster walls.
No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Oh FFS. What's the difference between washing soda and sugar soap
anyway? Pretty much bugger all. Both are strongly alkaline and IMO
shouldn't be used on plaster walls.
No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.

Did ya move the bed last night MrNoble? ;-)

I move it every night. It's the only way :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
writes

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:57:30 UTC, Zakko wrote:

On Sat 03 May 2008 11:22:34, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember Zakko
saying something like:

Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean
and degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before
repainting?

Thank **** you're not a baker.

Nope, I'm not a baker

That's a relief.

You don't get it, do you?

http://www.diybanter.com

Do let him know...it'll stop him from raising his hopes that it will work.

lets stop all these caustic comments right now

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.

Why don't you go and buy or rent a sense of humour for the day?
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.

Why don't you go and buy or rent a sense of humour for the day?

Just for the day you reckon? You're not likely to say anything else
funny then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat 03 May 2008 11:22:34, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Zakko saying something like:

Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to
clean and degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall
before repainting?

Thank **** you're not a baker.

Nope, I'm not a baker

That's a relief.
You don't get it, do you?

Do let him know...it'll stop him from raising his hopes that it
will work. ;-)

Or maybe washing/baking soda could work because sodium bicarbonate used
to be the major ingredient in early formulations of Sugar Soap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 May 2008 21:28:08 UTC, Zakko wrote:

Or maybe washing/baking soda could work because sodium bicarbonate used
to be the major ingredient in early formulations of Sugar Soap.

OK. The point you have repeatedly missed is that washing soda is NOT
sodium bicarbonate.
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 May 2008 22:28:08 +0100, Zakko wrote:

Or maybe washing/baking soda could work because sodium bicarbonate used
to be the major ingredient in early formulations of Sugar Soap.

Washing soda is sodium carbonate, not bicarbonate.

Can you still get washing soda? ISTR that it was almost always 'made'
by ICI.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sat 03 May 2008 11:22:34, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Zakko saying something like:

Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to
clean and degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall
before repainting?
Thank **** you're not a baker.

Nope, I'm not a baker
That's a relief.
You don't get it, do you?

Do let him know...it'll stop him from raising his hopes that it
will work. ;-)

Or maybe washing/baking soda could work because sodium bicarbonate used
to be the major ingredient in early formulations of Sugar Soap.

I think trisodium phosphate was the norm circa 1970.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
Rod wrote:
Zakko wrote:
[...]

The majority of powder sugar soaps that I checked earlier are in fact
something like "Blend of Sodium Sesquicarbonate, Sodium Alkylbenzene
Sulphonate (&) Sodium Tripolyphosphate". (Liquid ones often seem to
contain all sorts of other substances.) I believe (though I could be
wrong) that the sesquicarbonate is less alkaline that plain carbonate.

I shall try to remember to include smileys. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not much point wasting it on a dull ****, is there?
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Zakko wrote:
Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean and
degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before repainting?

I don't want to buy sugar soap just for this one job and I have lots
of washing soda.

---------------------

Is it true I should not use Flash because it leaves a shine of
slippery silicates and emulsion paint will not adhere well to this?

You could buy a single sachet of sugar soap - 50g for 55p (incl. vat!).
If that is too much, perhaps you should consider spending even less
money by not buying emulsion paint either?

I promise you that having lots of something is no reason to use it
inappropriately. E.g. I have lots of mud in the garden, sawdust in the
garage, gravel on the drive, PVA in the shed. I wouldn't use any of them
for cleaning a wall.

A mixture of mud and sawdust would probably work quite well. Throw it
on, give it a good rubbing, wash it off. Your wall will look just like new!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat 03 May 2008 17:04:43, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.

Why don't you go and buy or rent a sense of humour for the day?

Why don't you **** off?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 May 2008 08:30:13 UTC, Zakko wrote:

On Sun 04 May 2008 01:22:40, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert,
when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.

Why don't you go and buy or rent a sense of humour for the day?

Just for the day you reckon? You're not likely to say anything
else funny then?

Not much point wasting it on a dull ****, is there?

When was the last time someone you insulted on the Usenet came to see
you and sorted things out in person?

And you wanted HELP??
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zakko wrote:
On Sat 03 May 2008 17:04:43, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.

Why don't you go and buy or rent a sense of humour for the day?

Why don't you **** off?

Couldn't have put it better myself. Ok, carbonate isn't bicarbonate, but
smart arses should resist the temptation to make cheap jibes at every
opportunity, especially when they contribute nothing else to the thread.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who the **** are you pair of muppets?
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

Why don't you **** off?

Couldn't have put it better myself. Ok, carbonate isn't bicarbonate, but
smart arses should resist the temptation to make cheap jibes at every
opportunity, especially when they contribute nothing else to the thread.

Who the **** are you pair of muppets?

One that asked a perfectly valid question, and one that answered it to
the best of his ability. Where do you fit in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

Why don't you **** off?
Couldn't have put it better myself. Ok, carbonate isn't bicarbonate, but
smart arses should resist the temptation to make cheap jibes at every
opportunity, especially when they contribute nothing else to the thread.

Who the **** are you pair of muppets?

One that asked a perfectly valid question, and one that answered it to
the best of his ability. Where do you fit in?

You see that 'dull ****' comment I made? That was aimed at you, not
Zakko The Poisoner. You're really living up to it now. Still, if the foo
****s...
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

Why don't you **** off?
Couldn't have put it better myself. Ok, carbonate isn't bicarbonate, but
smart arses should resist the temptation to make cheap jibes at every
opportunity, especially when they contribute nothing else to the thread.
Who the **** are you pair of muppets?

One that asked a perfectly valid question, and one that answered it to
the best of his ability. Where do you fit in?

You see that 'dull ****' comment I made? That was aimed at you, not
Zakko The Poisoner. You're really living up to it now. Still, if the foo
****s...

Your vocabulary isn't getting any better is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 3, 5:04*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.

Why don't you go and buy or rent a sense of humour for the day?

It looking like it's you who's had a sense of humour bypass...

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Pete C saying
something like:

Another muppet. Who the **** are you?
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

bicarbonate of soda / soda crystals Dot Net Developer UK diy 30 October 10th 07 03:15 PM
Wall preparation Davao UK diy 0 December 11th 05 05:37 PM
WASHING SODA PAINT STRIPPER QUESTION J T Woodworking 6 September 20th 05 12:58 AM
moving washing machine to opposite side of wall Buzz Home Repair 6 December 28th 04 02:26 PM
Wall preparation before plastering + painting David Hearn UK diy 1 September 29th 03 11:50 AM