Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bicarbonate of soda / soda crystals

"bicarbonate of soda" and "soda crystals" -- are they the same thing/
product?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Dot Net Developer writes:
"bicarbonate of soda" and "soda crystals" -- are they the same thing/
product?

No.
"bicarbonate of soda" is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate.
"soda crystals" are Sodium Carbonate, IIRC.
"caustic soda" is Sodium Hydroxide.

Every few decades, chemists decide to change the way they name
compounds, so I might not be using the names taught in chemistry
lessons today. (Do they even have chemistry lessons today?)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
Dot Net Developer writes:

"bicarbonate of soda" and "soda crystals" -- are they the same thing/
product?

No.
"bicarbonate of soda" is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate.

used for raising cakes & some bread, but is not baking powder

"soda crystals" are Sodium Carbonate, IIRC.

washing soda, a degreaser

"caustic soda" is Sodium Hydroxide.

very strong degreaser for unblocking drains and dissolving human
remains.

Every few decades, chemists decide to change the way they name
compounds, so I might not be using the names taught in chemistry
lessons today. (Do they even have chemistry lessons today?)

Probably now questions like 'how do you feel about the politics of
chemical E101'

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Oct, 13:10, wrote:
"bicarbonate of soda" is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate.

used for raising cakes & some bread, but is not baking powder

Can it also be used as a general purpose cleaner (diluted in water)?

"soda crystals" are Sodium Carbonate, IIRC.

washing soda, a degreaser

Can I use this (diluted) for - cleaning inside fridge & on the sofa?
(Previously I used bicarbonate of soda.)

Thanks, regards, Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dot Net Developer" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 6 Oct, 13:10, wrote:
"bicarbonate of soda" is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate.

used for raising cakes & some bread, but is not baking powder

Can it also be used as a general purpose cleaner (diluted in water)?

"soda crystals" are Sodium Carbonate, IIRC.

washing soda, a degreaser

Can I use this (diluted) for - cleaning inside fridge & on the sofa?
(Previously I used bicarbonate of soda.)

Use bicarb like the instructions say,after all it works and is safe as it is
a food stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Dot Net Developer writes:
On 6 Oct, 13:10, wrote:
"bicarbonate of soda" is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate.

used for raising cakes & some bread, but is not baking powder

Baking powder is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate diluted with flour
so that the tiny amounts required can be reasonably accurately
measured in a kitchen. In commercial cooking, it's used raw
without dilution as more accurate measuring is used. It slowly
neutralises acids from the other ingredients, reacting to produce
CO2 responsible for raising. Bread is normally raised by yeast
and sugar liberating CO2, but soda bread is an example where
Sodium Hydroden Carbonate reacting with milk is used instead.

Can it also be used as a general purpose cleaner (diluted in water)?

Yes. Particularly useful where you don't want any smell from
a perfumed cleaner, such as inside a fridge, and you don't
want any acid or alkali left behind. Sodium Hydroden Carbonate
is good for neutralising acids and alkalis. Another traditional
use in this area is for neutralising excess stomach acid.

"soda crystals" are Sodium Carbonate, IIRC.

washing soda, a degreaser

Can I use this (diluted) for - cleaning inside fridge & on the sofa?
(Previously I used bicarbonate of soda.)

Not sure. Why risk it -- sodium bicarbonate is so cheap?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Oct, 16:50, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Can it [bicarbonate of soda] also be used as a general purpose cleaner (diluted in water)?

Yes.

The penny's just dropped as to why I can't find bicarbonate of soda in
the supermarket - I've been looking in the cleaning products isle - I
need to go to the home baking products isle!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I thought the PP was refering to bicarbonate of soda as per the header?

No, I was referring to sodium hydroxide, my snipping was poor.

It went:

"caustic soda" is Sodium Hydroxide.

very strong degreaser for unblocking drains and dissolving human
remains.

Me: and making soap.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I thought the PP was refering to bicarbonate of soda as per the
header?

No, I was referring to sodium hydroxide, my snipping was poor.

It went:

"caustic soda" is Sodium Hydroxide.

very strong degreaser for unblocking drains and dissolving human
remains.

Me: and making soap.

Ah good! It wasn't the drink then :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Oct, 22:05, Peter Parry wrote:
(various snips)
I wouldn't use bicarbonate of soda on materials.

Please explain. I've tried this (diluted in hot water, rubbed on with
tea towel on to sofa) with good surprisingly good results. I'll try
something else if there's either a problem with this, or a better
way. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Oct, 22:05, Peter Parry wrote:

Other than in fridges Bicarbonate of Soda isn't a terribly good
cleaning agent and (if bought in small tubs from a supermarket) quite
an expensive one.

It's very good for removing burnt-on-stuff from saucepans. Leave a
paste of bicarb and water on for a few hours and bingo!

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dot Net Developer wrote:
On 6 Oct, 22:05, Peter Parry wrote:
(various snips)
I wouldn't use bicarbonate of soda on materials.

Please explain. I've tried this (diluted in hot water, rubbed on with
tea towel on to sofa) with good surprisingly good results. I'll try
something else if there's either a problem with this, or a better
way. Thanks.

Bicarb isn't very soluble in water, and is quite abrasive as a powder,
so I guess you might be slightly abrading your fabric. A carpet cleaner
might be more suitable as not all stains and dirt respond to alkalis
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Oct, 12:51, Stuart Noble wrote:
Dot Net Developer wrote:
On 6 Oct, 22:05, Peter Parry wrote:
(various snips)
I wouldn't use bicarbonate of soda on materials.

Please explain. I've tried this (diluted in hot water, rubbed on with
tea towel on to sofa) with good surprisingly good results. I'll try
something else if there's either a problem with this, or a better
way. Thanks.

Bicarb isn't very soluble in water, and is quite abrasive as a powder,
so I guess you might be slightly abrading your fabric. A carpet cleaner
might be more suitable as not all stains and dirt respond to alkalis

Thanks & thanks also for all replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Dot Net Developer wrote:
On 6 Oct, 13:10, wrote:
"bicarbonate of soda" is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate.

used for raising cakes & some bread, but is not baking powder

Can it also be used as a general purpose cleaner (diluted in water)?

Not general purpose but very good for removing tannin from teapots and
cups. Mix to a paste with a little water.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:33:08 +0000, djc wrote:

Not general purpose but very good for removing tannin from teapots and
cups. Mix to a paste with a little water.

I wonder if bicarb is an ingredient of dishwasher detergent which is also
very good for degunking teapots and vacuum flasks?

--
John Stumbles

Question Authority

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:33:08 +0000, djc wrote:

Not general purpose but very good for removing tannin from teapots and
cups. Mix to a paste with a little water.

I wonder if bicarb is an ingredient of dishwasher detergent which is also
very good for degunking teapots and vacuum flasks?

So is Ribena oddly enough, it being acidic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
John Stumbles wrote:
On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:33:08 +0000, djc wrote:

Not general purpose but very good for removing tannin from teapots and
cups. Mix to a paste with a little water.

I wonder if bicarb is an ingredient of dishwasher detergent which is also
very good for degunking teapots and vacuum flasks?

So is Ribena oddly enough, it being acidic

Dishwasher detergent is normally a strong alkali,
based on caustic soda and other ingredients.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

A recently purchased pack of dishwasher cleaner claimed to have X% of non
ionic surfactant which all sounds very innocent and like the instruction
book for a 1960s girl's chemistry set.

Reading in more detail and looking at the MSDS revealed that it was our
old friend, NaOH. No other ingredients were mentioned.

That'll be what does some of the work, but there will be a non ionic
surfactant as well, since NaOH doesn't fit that definition at all.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-09 23:37:31 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

A recently purchased pack of dishwasher cleaner claimed to have X% of
non ionic surfactant which all sounds very innocent and like the
instruction book for a 1960s girl's chemistry set.

Reading in more detail and looking at the MSDS revealed that it was our
old friend, NaOH. No other ingredients were mentioned.

That'll be what does some of the work, but there will be a non ionic
surfactant as well, since NaOH doesn't fit that definition at all.

cheers,
clive

I see.

What things fall within that definitiion?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2007-10-09 23:37:31 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

A recently purchased pack of dishwasher cleaner claimed to have X% of
non ionic surfactant which all sounds very innocent and like the
instruction book for a 1960s girl's chemistry set.

Reading in more detail and looking at the MSDS revealed that it was our
old friend, NaOH. No other ingredients were mentioned.

That'll be what does some of the work, but there will be a non ionic
surfactant as well, since NaOH doesn't fit that definition at all.

cheers,
clive

I see.

What things fall within that definitiion?

A wetting agent, like a detergent (except they are more
commonly ionic surfactants). It's a long time ago since
I knew this, but IIRC ionic surfacants tend to foam
easily as they skin over water one molecule thick with
the charged end of the molecule in the water and the
uncharged end sticking out, aiding bubble formation.
This is a bad thing in a dishwasher as anyone who's
tried using regular washing up liquid in one will tell
you. Non-ionic surfactants don't do that.

The surfacant ensures the food can be quickly wetted by
the caustic soda, so it can quickly get to work on it.
The surfacant also has cleaning properties in that it
can break dirt down into small particles and surround it,
making it appear to be soluable when in fact it isn't by
itself.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2007-10-09 23:37:31 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

[...]

A domestic cleaning product is only likely to contain sufficient caustic
soda to make it alkaline i.e. bugger all. It has to be mentioned in the
safety data though, whereas the main ingredients are probably not
considered hazardous.
IIRC surfactants are either non-ionic (non-foaming), anionic (foaming),
cationic (forming a film on the surface- hair conditioner etc). I
remember an occasion many moons ago when every hotel room in London was
taken because of a....surfactant conference. Obviously very big
business, even then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-10 11:52:54 +0100, (Andrew

In article ,
On 2007-10-09 23:37:31 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message ...

[...]

OK.

By dishwasher cleaner here I meant the product that can be put in
periodically to clean the machine itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-10 11:52:54 +0100, (Andrew Gabriel)

In article ,
On 2007-10-09 23:37:31 +0100, "Clive George"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

[...]

Makes no difference. You still don't want a foaming surfactant. You could
well have more NaOH to attack the stubborn stuff a bit more, but that still
doesn't make it a) non-ionic b) a surfactant, or c) miscible with
oil/grease. You still need the surfactant as Andrew said above.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:34:26 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

By dishwasher cleaner here I meant the product that can be put in
periodically to clean the machine itself.

Water?

:-)
--
Frank Erskine

soda splashed on car radio peter Electronics Repair 3 July 10th 07 01:04 AM
Caustic soda OK for burnt pan? Lobster UK diy 62 September 9th 06 04:37 PM
Caustic Soda and plastic? ben UK diy 11 July 18th 05 12:14 PM
Caustic Soda tank Roger Hull Metalworking 22 March 11th 05 01:27 AM
Paint stripping with soda blaster Brian Siano Woodworking 2 January 13th 05 03:46 AM