Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bicarbonate of soda / soda crystals

In article .com,
Dot Net Developer writes:
On 6 Oct, 13:10, wrote:
"bicarbonate of soda" is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate.

used for raising cakes & some bread, but is not baking powder

Baking powder is Sodium Hydroden Carbonate diluted with flour
so that the tiny amounts required can be reasonably accurately
measured in a kitchen. In commercial cooking, it's used raw
without dilution as more accurate measuring is used. It slowly
neutralises acids from the other ingredients, reacting to produce
CO2 responsible for raising. Bread is normally raised by yeast
and sugar liberating CO2, but soda bread is an example where
Sodium Hydroden Carbonate reacting with milk is used instead.

Can it also be used as a general purpose cleaner (diluted in water)?

Yes. Particularly useful where you don't want any smell from
a perfumed cleaner, such as inside a fridge, and you don't
want any acid or alkali left behind. Sodium Hydroden Carbonate
is good for neutralising acids and alkalis. Another traditional
use in this area is for neutralising excess stomach acid.

"soda crystals" are Sodium Carbonate, IIRC.

washing soda, a degreaser

Can I use this (diluted) for - cleaning inside fridge & on the sofa?
(Previously I used bicarbonate of soda.)

Not sure. Why risk it -- sodium bicarbonate is so cheap?

--
Andrew Gabriel