Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default OK to use washing soda for wall preparation?

Stuart Noble wrote:
Rod wrote:
Zakko wrote:
Is it alright to use washing soda (sodium bicarbonate) to clean and
degrease the emulsion paint on an interior wall before repainting?

I don't want to buy sugar soap just for this one job and I have lots
of washing soda.

---------------------

Is it true I should not use Flash because it leaves a shine of
slippery silicates and emulsion paint will not adhere well to this?

You could buy a single sachet of sugar soap - 50g for 55p (incl.
vat!). If that is too much, perhaps you should consider spending even
less money by not buying emulsion paint either?

I promise you that having lots of something is no reason to use it
inappropriately. E.g. I have lots of mud in the garden, sawdust in the
garage, gravel on the drive, PVA in the shed. I wouldn't use any of
them for cleaning a wall.

Oh FFS. What's the difference between washing soda and sugar soap
anyway? Pretty much bugger all. Both are strongly alkaline and IMO
shouldn't be used on plaster walls.
No need for snide remarks about baking powder either.

The majority of powder sugar soaps that I checked earlier are in fact
something like "Blend of Sodium Sesquicarbonate, Sodium Alkylbenzene
Sulphonate (&) Sodium Tripolyphosphate". (Liquid ones often seem to
contain all sorts of other substances.) I believe (though I could be
wrong) that the sesquicarbonate is less alkaline that plain carbonate.

I shall try to remember to include smileys. :-)

--
Rod

onset.