Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gunge in Washer doorseal.

I have looked on "search Groups" without success so can any of you good
people help me out here?

Our washing machine is 3 years old. The big bungey doorseal seems to collect
gunge. The main gunge I can lift out from the gathering point at the bottom
but it leaves what looks like a black mould staining. It is used for
domestic stuff so nothing industrial goes in.I have tried wiping with
kitchen towel, using a toothbrush and wiping with a bleach solution and so
on to no avail.

The gunge seems to have formed some sort of molecular bond with the seal
material 'cos I just cannot shift it even with my thumb nail.

The Instructions give no hints on doorseal cleaning..

I am at the moment trying a 90 deg C wash to seee if that will at least kill
it!

It is a Bosh Classixx 1200 Express machine.

Any suggestions??

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stanley wrote:
[...]

Interestingly we have the same machine, similar problem. Main area seems
to be behind/under the seal, where there are three round (draining?)
holes. Occasionally it seems to leave marks on some of the clothes, but
maybe that comes from elsewhere. Never been able to solve this problem
completely, running the machine empty with detergent at 60 degrees once
in a while seems to help a little. We also dry the seal after use of the
machine, and leave the door slightly open.

Always had Bosch washing machines. Next one may have to be a different
make.....

Johan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johan wrote:
Stanley wrote:
[...]

Clean the filter, powder drawer and as much gunge as you can from around
the main door seal, then run the machine empty with a dose of soda
crystals very hot (we set ours to 95 when we do this).

It's my understanding the the gunge is as a result of generally low-temp
washes with modern washing powders/liquids -- although I could be wrong
about this. Regardless, we spoke to a washing-machine repair chap about
3 years ago concerning the exact problem you've got; I was actually
ringing him to ask him to quote for replacing the rubber seal, but when
I described the problem he told me to do the above procedure once in a
while (how often depends on your usage of the machine, I guess).

It doesn't fix the buildup of gunge from actually happening, but it does
help immensely with getting shot of it so it no longer leaves the marks
on clothes. I guess we do our once every quarter or so.

HTH

Styx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Styx wrote:
Johan wrote:
Stanley wrote:
[...]

This is not a problem related specifically to Bosch, all makes have a
tendency to this,our hotpoint certainly did. The recommended solution is
to leave the door ajar, also be sure to use the hottest wash every 6
weeks or so.

new doorseal at freezer jan siepelstad Home Repair 6 July 25th 07 10:43 PM
LG washer houseman Home Ownership 1 August 25th 06 06:47 AM
New washer The Dave© Home Repair 24 February 28th 05 04:10 AM
stacked washer dryer, dryer works, washer does not [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 14th 05 09:53 PM
Help with washer Loewi Lin Home Repair 0 January 16th 05 01:27 PM