The DaveŠ

Default New washer

I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.
Ed

"The DaveŠ" wrote

I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.

Are they the same brand? What is the brand?
If they are the same brand you are unlikely to save energy with the more
expensive model. Motor, transmission, pump, etc. are most likely the same.

The DaveŠ

Ed wrote:
[...]

They are the same brand, GE. In GE's whole line, some are rated
"Energy Star" and qualify for rebates from the power company, and some
aren't. Price is not necessarily a determining factor in what
qualifies and what does not as some more expensive ones do not qualify.
zxcvbob

The DaveŠ wrote:
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.

If you use an electric clothes dryer, you will make up that $37 in a
couple of months. (A gas dryer will take a little longer.) That energy
star washer is probably a front loader, and the clothes will come out
damp instead of wet and they take less than half the time to dry.

The front loader also only take half as much soap. If you use a full
measure of soap you will "suds lock" it.

Best regards,
Bob
Ed

"The DaveŠ" wrote

They are the same brand, GE. In GE's whole line, some are rated
"Energy Star" and qualify for rebates from the power company, and some
aren't. Price is not necessarily a determining factor in what
qualifies and what does not as some more expensive ones do not qualify.

As someone who has been servicing appliances for 30 years may I suggest to
you that Whirlpool makes a nicer machine for under $300 and it's super
capacity.

http://tinyurl.com/5ab3m $279 Roper
http://tinyurl.com/5fqlg $329 Estate, you get a little more.

Roper and Estate are made by Whirlpool, same machine, same warranty, lower
price.

Kathy

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
The DaveŠ wrote:
[...]

No way it is a front-loader for 400 bucks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.

You're going to live with it for 10 or 15 years. Why agonize over $37 if
you get some added features or capacity. Just buy a reliable brand. Yes,
you will probably save a few bucks a year, but that depends on how much
laundry you do. Not enough info to give a number.

The DaveŠ

Ed wrote:
They are the same brand, GE. In GE's whole line, some are rated
"Energy Star" and qualify for rebates from the power company, and
some aren't. Price is not necessarily a determining factor in what
qualifies and what does not as some more expensive ones do not
qualify.

As someone who has been servicing appliances for 30 years may I
suggest to you that Whirlpool makes a nicer machine for under $300
and it's super capacity.

http://tinyurl.com/5ab3m $279 Roper
http://tinyurl.com/5fqlg $329 Estate, you get a little more.

Roper and Estate are made by Whirlpool, same machine, same warranty,
lower price.

I'll check them out. I looked at Whirlpool when I got a new dryer 2
years ago, but I hated their lint trap design. I went with the GE
then, and the easier and less frustrating lint trap was a big reason.
Simple, I know. I'm not one to be attched to having a matching washer
& dryer, so I will check out the ones you suggest. Thanks.
The DaveŠ

zxcvbob wrote:
If you use an electric clothes dryer, you will make up that $37 in a
couple of months. (A gas dryer will take a little longer.) That
energy star washer is probably a front loader, and the clothes will
come out damp instead of wet and they take less than half the time to
dry.

The front loader also only take half as much soap. If you use a full
measure of soap you will "suds lock" it.

In this case, both washers are top loaders.
The DaveŠ

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
You're going to live with it for 10 or 15 years. Why agonize over
$37 if you get some added features or capacity. Just buy a reliable
brand. Yes, you will probably save a few bucks a year, but that
depends on how much laundry you do. Not enough info to give a
number.

I did think of that. I'm gonna have it for a long time, and maybe I'll
marry someone who would have a use for the extra features. Generally,
when I buy stereo equipment, and the such, I like to buy more than I
know or need. That gives me the flexibility should the need or desire
arise later and I don't have to replace it too soon.

Dan C

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:54:22 +0000, The DaveŠ wrote:

I did think of that. I'm gonna have it for a long time, and maybe I'll
marry someone who would have a use for the extra features. Generally,
when I buy stereo equipment, and the such, I like to buy more than I
know or need. That gives me the flexibility should the need or desire
arise later and I don't have to replace it too soon.

Well, I guess you answered your own question, huh?

Linux Registered User #327951

SQLit

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.

Before I moved this time and bought the Neptune series washer and dryer. I
used to find used washer dealers and get a Kenmore/Maytag for under $200
delivered. (got no idea about now). Most of the time they would take the
old one away if I helped a little. I owned 5 used washers in 30 years.
Only had one problem and they just replaced the washer.

Just a wild ass thought from the outfield

Joseph Meehan

The DaveŠ wrote:
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get
a rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to
make that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need
a to-the-cent breakdown.

Unless there is some information on the labels of the machines, it is
difficult to tell what the difference really is. I am going to guess those
extra features got it the energy star notation. By using the right
combination of features you can save energy that you could not save on the
standard machine. It may be water levels (biggest saver in a washer) or run
time etc. I would not expect to save a lot of money, but I am going to
guess you will save more than enough to make up for the price difference.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Travis Jordan

The DaveŠ wrote:
Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to

What are the comparative numbers for annual energy use on the big yellow
stickers?

Phisherman

I always buy "super capacity" because washing larger loads saves time
and energy in the long run. All the extra gadgets are just
that--gadgets that drive up the initial cost of the unit. Get one
that has a "no heat" setting for fluffing pillows, down jackets, etc.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:48:22 GMT, The DaveŠ wrote:

I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.

Dee

About 9 years ago we were on a seriously tight budget when our washer died.
We went to either Best Buy or Circuit City and bought a $199.00 (on sale, I
think -- reg. price $249.99) Whirlpool washer and it's never given a
moment's trouble. There are no bells and whistles other than a short wash
and a long wash and water temp. selector, but that was fine with me. I'm a
no-frills clothes washer, too.

Travis Jordan

Dee wrote:
About 9 years ago we were on a seriously tight budget when our washer
died. We went to either Best Buy or Circuit City and bought a $199.00
(on sale, I think -- reg. price $249.99) Whirlpool washer and it's
never given a moment's trouble. There are no bells and whistles other

Simpler is demonstrably better when it comes to reliability. The low
cost and mechanically simple Roper washers and dryers have the lowest
repair rates according to Consumers Reports.

stevef

when we purchased our present house, i purchased a new Maytag washer &
dryer. this was in 1984.

we are still using both machines. if i purchased a new Maytag today, would
it still be just as good as the old one?? who knows? I have done some
minor repairs on both washer and dryer; replace heating element is dryer
about 8 months ago. but both are still going strong.

BTW, these machines survived two teenagers.

a previous poster mentioned Whirlpool, which I think is a very good machine.
if I'm not mistaken, Kenmore is made by Whirlpool. I would consider
Kenmore.
"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.

Ed

"stevef" wrote

when we purchased our present house, i purchased a new Maytag washer &
dryer. this was in 1984.

we are still using both machines. if i purchased a new Maytag today,
would
it still be just as good as the old one??

In my opinion, no it wouldn't be as good.

a previous poster mentioned Whirlpool, which I think is a very good
machine.
if I'm not mistaken, Kenmore is made by Whirlpool. I would consider
Kenmore.

That's interesting. Why would you prefer Kenmore over the Whiirlpool if you
think they are the same?

Tom

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
The DaveŠ wrote:
[...]

Likely a top loader. The energy savings comes by using a thermostatic
control on the water limiting the amount of hot water (expensive to heat)
that is allowed to mix with the cold. All new detergents work just fine
with cold water. So there would be no difference in cost to operate if only
cold water is used.
Tom.

Art

Do you value quiet? More expensive machine may be quieter. COnsumer
Reports rates washing machines a couple of times a year. CHeck out reviews
at the library for bargains.

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.

Dee

Simpler is demonstrably better when it comes to reliability. The low
cost and mechanically simple Roper washers and dryers have the lowest
repair rates according to Consumers Reports.

I'm glad to hear you say that. At the time I was kinda bummed about not
being able to afford a fancier washer, but that's just that much less to go
wrong. Right? :-) Either way, we're really happy with our basic washer. I
hope it goes another 9 years!

Dee

Do you value quiet? More expensive machine may be quieter.

Good point. Our "basic" Whirlpool isn't very quiet, but we're lucky to have
an honest to goodness laundry room that we can shut the door on. g But
the more expensive models might generate less noise.