Joseph Meehan

The DaveŠ wrote:
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get
a rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to
make that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need
a to-the-cent breakdown.

Unless there is some information on the labels of the machines, it is
difficult to tell what the difference really is. I am going to guess those
extra features got it the energy star notation. By using the right
combination of features you can save energy that you could not save on the
standard machine. It may be water levels (biggest saver in a washer) or run
time etc. I would not expect to save a lot of money, but I am going to
guess you will save more than enough to make up for the price difference.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math