The DaveŠ

Ed wrote:
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can
get a rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price
$324, or $37 more than the base model. The base model has water
level and temperature choices and that's about it, while the other
model does more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get
fancy. I can separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold
accordingly. I would probably never use the vast majority of the
extra features. My question is this: Would the money I save on
electricity actually make up for the $37 extra price quickly, or
would it take me 8 years to make that back? Just looking for a
general answer, btw, I don't need a to-the-cent breakdown.

Are they the same brand? What is the brand?
If they are the same brand you are unlikely to save energy with the
more expensive model. Motor, transmission, pump, etc. are most likely
the same.

They are the same brand, GE. In GE's whole line, some are rated
"Energy Star" and qualify for rebates from the power company, and some
aren't. Price is not necessarily a determining factor in what
qualifies and what does not as some more expensive ones do not qualify.