Tom

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
The DaveŠ wrote:
I need to buy a new washing machine. I have narrowed it down to two
models. One is a base model for $287. The other is an energy saver
(Enerygy Star) model for $399. With the energy saver model I can get a
rebate from my power company for $75, making the real price $324, or
$37 more than the base model. The base model has water level and
temperature choices and that's about it, while the other model does
more stuff. Being a guy, I wash clothes, I don't get fancy. I can
separate colors and whites and wash hot and cold accordingly. I would
probably never use the vast majority of the extra features. My
question is this: Would the money I save on electricity actually make
up for the $37 extra price quickly, or would it take me 8 years to make
that back? Just looking for a general answer, btw, I don't need a
to-the-cent breakdown.

If you use an electric clothes dryer, you will make up that $37 in a
couple of months. (A gas dryer will take a little longer.) That energy
star washer is probably a front loader, and the clothes will come out damp
instead of wet and they take less than half the time to dry.

The front loader also only take half as much soap. If you use a full
measure of soap you will "suds lock" it.

Best regards,
Bob

Likely a top loader. The energy savings comes by using a thermostatic
control on the water limiting the amount of hot water (expensive to heat)
that is allowed to mix with the cold. All new detergents work just fine
with cold water. So there would be no difference in cost to operate if only
cold water is used.
Tom.