Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix free delivery "trick"

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few
pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a £5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the £5 to spend
next time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

xscope wrote:
Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few
pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a £5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the £5 to spend
next time.

Wonder if that would work with a 50 GBP gift voucher, next time I get
caught out for a 1.50 GBP box of screws?!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

xscope wrote:
Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few
pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a £5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the £5 to spend
next time.

What a good idea! How many £4:50 items have I bought to get over that.

Much easier now we have a local trade counter though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

xscope wrote:
Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few
pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

I bought a tumble dryer from www.dixons.co.uk the other day.
£130.09 for the dryer, £19.90 for the delivery - total £149.99

Currys online had the same dryer for £149.95 with but free delivery for
orders over £150.

The rules say £150 is apparenty £150, not £149.95.

Missed my chance to save 4 pence :-(

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:40:51 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

Currys online had the same dryer for £149.95 with but free delivery for
orders over £150.

The rules say £150 is apparenty £150, not £149.95.

I found similar with the Maplin offer vouchers. I think they told me
(in store) that they (or more accurately 'the computer') would allow
you to use the (say) £5 off voucher if you spend more than £35 at
£34.99 but not £34.98. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
xscope wrote:

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to ?45, and a few
pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over ?50, I was looking
around the for something about ?5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise ?5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a ?5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the ?5 to spend
next time.

So I order a £5 box of screws and £40 of vouchers to get free delivery.

Next time, I want a £5 hammer with free delivery so I pay £5 and use the
£40 vouchers to buy another £40 of vouchers to get free delivery.

And so on and so forth...

Would this work?! Would they let you?!

Isn't it the free delivery equivalent of a perpetual motion machine?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
xscope wrote:
Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few
pence.
Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

I bought a tumble dryer from www.dixons.co.uk the other day.
£130.09 for the dryer, £19.90 for the delivery - total £149.99

Currys online had the same dryer for £149.95 with but free delivery for
orders over £150.

The rules say £150 is apparenty £150, not £149.95.

HAve you never phoned them up and blagged free delivery ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
The rules say £150 is apparenty £150, not £149.95.

HAve you never phoned them up and blagged free delivery ?

Didn't feel much in blagging mood for the 4 pence saving (or me messing
up my cookie collection / rejection policies for QuidCo etc). The DSG
group stores had the lowest price and could deliver this week in a
4-hour slot.

Anyway, I try and avoid talking to Currys staff - The instant I walk
into a store to play yellow x.97p tag hunting (as that's where the end
of line bargains are), I'm targetted by store staff "Sir, may I help
you?" to which the response "Nah, I'm beyond help" normally suffices and
saves me having to explain how their technology actually works not as
advertised or as has been ill-explained to them....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 12:57:37 +0000, xscope said:

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few
pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a £5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the £5 to spend
next time.

You do realise that you are lending thm money, don't you.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m says...
wrote:

Currys online had the same dryer for £149.95 with but free delivery for
orders over £150.

The rules say £150 is apparenty £150, not £149.95.

I found similar with the Maplin offer vouchers. I think they told me
(in store) that they (or more accurately 'the computer') would allow
you to use the (say) £5 off voucher if you spend more than £35 at
£34.99 but not £34.98. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Maplins screwed me with delivery charge once. In the days
before regular internet orders, I sent them a mailed order
and cheque that qualified for free delivery. However they
were out of stock for a particular item so that made the
order just short of qualifying for free delivery. So they
added the delivery charge. That meant the cheque didn't
cover the entire order to they dropped another item from
the order. I was so annoyed I didn't buy anything off them
again for years.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:48:51 GMT, mike wrote:
In article
,
xscope wrote:

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to ?45, and a few
pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over ?50, I was looking
around the for something about ?5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise ?5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a ?5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the ?5 to spend
next time.

So I order a £5 box of screws and £40 of vouchers to get free delivery.

Next time, I want a £5 hammer with free delivery so I pay £5 and use the
£40 vouchers to buy another £40 of vouchers to get free delivery.

And so on and so forth...

Would this work?! Would they let you?!

Isn't it the free delivery equivalent of a perpetual motion machine?

I don't see why it shouldn't work, , but you end up with a hell of
a lot of vouchers. The only place you can spend them is screwfix, so
they are pretty much guaranteed to get future business from you.

I suppose you could give the vouchers as christmas presents ;-)

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall (Andy Hall ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a £5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the £5 to spend
next time.

You do realise that you are lending thm money, don't you.....

As opposed to just giving that money to them? Hiho.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 17:45:22 GMT, Peter Lynch wrote:

So I order a £5 box of screws and £40 of vouchers to get free delivery.

Next time, I want a £5 hammer with free delivery so I pay £5 and use
the £40 vouchers to buy another £40 of vouchers to get free delivery.

I don't see why it shouldn't work, , but you end up with a hell of
a lot of vouchers.

Well bits of paper that have been redeemed the snag of course is the
interest free loan of £40 to Screwfix. Depending on often you order and
need "free delivery" the loss of interest may or may not be more than the
postage saved.

I wouldn't expect to be able to buy vouchers with vouchers but unless
they've really thought about it I bet you can.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Mar, 18:45, Peter Lynch wrote:

I suppose you could give the vouchers as christmas presents ;-)

Does anyone have the script of the Jasper Carrot sketch on the
relative (de-)merits of giving a £10 store voucher versus a £10 note?

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 17:50:22 +0000, Adrian said:

Andy Hall (Andy Hall ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a £5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the £5 to spend
next time.

You do realise that you are lending thm money, don't you.....

As opposed to just giving that money to them? Hiho.

Umm no.

If you give them money for goods, you will be getting the goods in a
day or two.

If you give them money for a voucher, they are banking it until you
take delivery of the goods at some point in the future.

This is known as lending money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-03-09 17:50:22 +0000, Adrian said:

[...]

Of course, but the alternative of not *lending* them a fiver by buying
the voucher is to *give* them a fiver to cover the postage.

(Thinks... how much interest will I lose on my fiver until my next
Screwfix order...?)

Also, the voucher has probably been paid for using a credit card, so for
(potentially) several weeks the fiver is actually being lent to
Screwfix by the credit card co anyway!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 21:10:02 +0000, Lobster said:

Of course, but the alternative of not *lending* them a fiver by buying
the voucher is to *give* them a fiver to cover the postage.

(Thinks... how much interest will I lose on my fiver until my next
Screwfix order...?)

Also, the voucher has probably been paid for using a credit card, so
for (potentially) several weeks the fiver is actually being lent to
Screwfix by the credit card co anyway!

David

This is becoming too complicated......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
geoff wrote:
The rules say £150 is apparenty £150, not £149.95.

HAve you never phoned them up and blagged free delivery ?

Didn't feel much in blagging mood for the 4 pence saving

No sense of "just for the sake of it" then

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 17:50:22 +0000, Adrian said:

[...]

Very true, but... the interest they are paying is excellent it waives
£5.00 on every small order. As someone who makes an average of more than
one order a week I would be far happier buying only the stuff I need when
I need it. At the moment I'm having to keep series of wish lists and also
maintain a larger stock of some goods just to help make the £50 threshold.

I've just tried it and I got a reel of 8mm microbore (several years
supply in itself) and £25 quid of vouchers. Delivery was fully included
in the price.

Looks like this £25 loan will make S/fix more convenient without making
it more expensive. I wonder how long this will last...

I can stop playing this game simply by buying £50 of goods in one go
(which I do quite often). 8-)

Once I have my £25 voucher I will view s/fix as a £25 minimum order
service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 21:10:02 +0000, Lobster
said:

Of course, but the alternative of not *lending* them a fiver by buying
the voucher is to *give* them a fiver to cover the postage.

(Thinks... how much interest will I lose on my fiver until my next
Screwfix order...?)

Also, the voucher has probably been paid for using a credit card, so
for (potentially) several weeks the fiver is actually being lent to
Screwfix by the credit card co anyway!

David

This is becoming too complicated......

You're one of the last people I'd expect to hear that from....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 17:50:22 +0000, Adrian said:

[...]

Probably depends on the overall proportion of their customers who read
this newsgroup!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 17:50:22 +0000, Adrian said:

[...]

And did you see the other new Screwfix trick in another thread, whereby
if you access their site via quidco.co.uk you get 6% back? That one's a
real no-brainer. I've saved quidco's screwfix redirect URL in my
Favorites in place of www.screwfix.com, which means I get my 6% without
even having to remember to do it.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 17:50:22 +0000, Adrian said:

[...]

Is the voucher a physical bit of paper or a number that you use on line
as a discount?

If you have to post the thing then the cost of doing so is already in pounds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from xscope contains these words:

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few
pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a £5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the £5 to spend
next time.

Sadly it doesn't answer the problem of those in the Northern half of the
UK where, even on the mainland, there is NO free delivery from
Screwfix, no matter what the order. Hence Screwfix is on a list of
non-preferred suppliers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Appin contains these words:

Sadly it doesn't answer the problem of those in the Northern half of the
UK where, even on the mainland, there is NO free delivery from
Screwfix, no matter what the order. Hence Screwfix is on a list of
non-preferred suppliers.

Not what it says on the website. You just don't get next day delivery.

"Premium delivery options not available for other zones".

Other zones appear to be Scilly Isles, Isle of Man, NI and Highlands and
Islands of Scotland. The latter being the Northern half of the UK only
on a matter of length, a significant amount of which is open sea. In
terms of area not more than the Northernmost quarter.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:58:11 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Is the voucher a physical bit of paper or a number that you use on line
as a discount?

Both, you get sent a bit of paper that has an online code on it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-10 20:58:34 +0000, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:58:11 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Is the voucher a physical bit of paper or a number that you use on line
as a discount?

Both, you get sent a bit of paper that has an online code on it.

In that case, looks like a reasonable scam^H^Hheme.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-09 17:50:22 +0000, Adrian said:

[...]

It a physical piece of paper which has a number which you enter on the
checkout page.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Roger contains these words:

The message
from Appin contains these words:

Sadly it doesn't answer the problem of those in the Northern half of the
UK where, even on the mainland, there is NO free delivery from
Screwfix, no matter what the order. Hence Screwfix is on a list of
non-preferred suppliers.

Not what it says on the website. You just don't get next day delivery.

"Premium delivery options not available for other zones".

Not quite so -- though I note that their charges HAVE changed within the
last few weeks. They've obviously lost most of their customers in the
northern half of the UK. They have now changed, I see, to free carriage
for orders over £100 for those areas. Which means they may get some
more of my orders.

Other zones appear to be Scilly Isles, Isle of Man, NI and Highlands and
Islands of Scotland. The latter being the Northern half of the UK only
on a matter of length, a significant amount of which is open sea. In
terms of area not more than the Northernmost quarter.

It is nonetheless extremely aggravating to find many suppliers
advertising free delivery to UK Mainland and then finding that much of
the UK Mainland is excluded.

Screwfix seem to have learned at least something over the last few
weeks. Actually what they've done is what I've several times written
them suggesting they consider.

It beats me, though, how some companies like Argos and, believe it or
not, even more so, Woolworths, of all people, manage to lick the problem
of deliveries to the most remote of islands, yet others simply can't get
their heads around it.

The dreaded Argos has struck deals with specialist carriers who, I
think, get a cut on the goods through acting as agents. Woolworths can
manage to operate a store in Stornoway selling goods at the same prices
as on the mainland and, more important, handling catalogue orders.
Companies which have licked the transport problem have very little
compettion and can make a killing.

Lidl can manage to operate a store in Orkney -- with the same prices as
elsewhere. Of course the British HQ is in Livingston, which may help.

It's a strange situation when it can be cheaper to order goods from
overseas than from England, if you happen to live in the North of
Scotland.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Appin saying
something like:

Screwfix seem to have learned at least something over the last few
weeks. Actually what they've done is what I've several times written
them suggesting they consider.

Following an online order, Screwfix once phoned me to tell me that
Parcelforce didn't deliver to Ireland. "What a crock of ****," I said,
as I eyed a parcel with 'Parcelforce' stuck all over it. PF simply hand
the parcel over to the Irish PO for delivery and it's not a problem for
those sellers who can be bothered to go the extra yard for a sale.

As it turned out I got the items I wanted from Screwfix from another UK
supplier who had no problem gettting it to me - using Parcelforce.

--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-10 20:58:34 +0000, "Dave Liquorice"
said:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:58:11 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Is the voucher a physical bit of paper or a number that you use on
line as a discount?

Both, you get sent a bit of paper that has an online code on it.

In that case, looks like a reasonable scam^H^Hheme.

The microbore arrived this morning the vouchers probably will come
tomorrow in the post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-11 12:37:22 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Appin saying
something like:

Screwfix seem to have learned at least something over the last few
weeks. Actually what they've done is what I've several times written
them suggesting they consider.

Following an online order, Screwfix once phoned me to tell me that
Parcelforce didn't deliver to Ireland. "What a crock of ****," I said,
as I eyed a parcel with 'Parcelforce' stuck all over it. PF simply hand
the parcel over to the Irish PO for delivery and it's not a problem for
those sellers who can be bothered to go the extra yard for a sale.

As it turned out I got the items I wanted from Screwfix from another UK
supplier who had no problem gettting it to me - using Parcelforce.

But why would anybdy want to do anything involving Parcelforce?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

As it turned out I got the items I wanted from Screwfix from another UK
supplier who had no problem gettting it to me - using Parcelforce.

But why would anybdy want to do anything involving Parcelforce?

They just happened to be the delivery contractor for whatever business
it was. They managed to get 100% of my items to me in a reasonable time
at a reasonable cost, so I'm no complaining about them as such. Are PF
still extant, or are they going by some other name these days?
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-11 19:14:35 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

As it turned out I got the items I wanted from Screwfix from another UK
supplier who had no problem gettting it to me - using Parcelforce.

But why would anybdy want to do anything involving Parcelforce?

They just happened to be the delivery contractor for whatever business
it was. They managed to get 100% of my items to me in a reasonable time
at a reasonable cost, so I'm no complaining about them as such. Are PF
still extant, or are they going by some other name these days?

I believe that they are, but are now a division of Co-operative Funeralcare.

You can pay up front for a disappointing outcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-11 12:37:22 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Appin
saying something like:

Screwfix seem to have learned at least something over the last few
weeks. Actually what they've done is what I've several times
written them suggesting they consider.

Following an online order, Screwfix once phoned me to tell me that
Parcelforce didn't deliver to Ireland. "What a crock of ****," I
said, as I eyed a parcel with 'Parcelforce' stuck all over it. PF
simply hand the parcel over to the Irish PO for delivery and it's
not a problem for those sellers who can be bothered to go the extra
yard for a sale. As it turned out I got the items I wanted from Screwfix
from another
UK supplier who had no problem gettting it to me - using Parcelforce.

But why would anybdy want to do anything involving Parcelforce?

What if the only carrier Festool & Lamello suppliers ever used was
Parcelforce?

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-03-11 12:37:22 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

[...]

He'd go to Isaac Lord himself.

PF = Plantar Fasciitis?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

Are PF
still extant, or are they going by some other name these days?

I believe that they are, but are now a division of Co-operative Funeralcare.

You can pay up front for a disappointing outcome.

Burst open and end up in Stornoway?
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

Are PF
still extant, or are they going by some other name these days?

I believe that they are, but are now a division of Co-operative
Funeralcare.

You can pay up front for a disappointing outcome.

Burst open and end up in Stornoway?

The parcel or the addressee? :-)