Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Screwfix free delivery "trick"

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-03-09 17:50:22 +0000, Adrian said:

Andy Hall (Andy Hall ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

Just placed an order with screwfix, which came to £45, and a few pence.

Realising that free delivery is for orders over £50, I was looking
around the for something about £5, which would essentially be free
(given the otherwise £5 delivery charge).

Then I spotted - vouchers, so I added a £5 voucher, which hey presto
takes me above the free delivery threshold, so I get the £5 to spend
next time.

You do realise that you are lending thm money, don't you.....

As opposed to just giving that money to them? Hiho.

Umm no.

If you give them money for goods, you will be getting the goods in a day
or two.

If you give them money for a voucher, they are banking it until you take
delivery of the goods at some point in the future.

This is known as lending money.

Of course, but the alternative of not *lending* them a fiver by buying
the voucher is to *give* them a fiver to cover the postage.

(Thinks... how much interest will I lose on my fiver until my next
Screwfix order...?)

Also, the voucher has probably been paid for using a credit card, so for
(potentially) several weeks the fiver is actually being lent to
Screwfix by the credit card co anyway!

David