Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd problem with generator ..?

HI All

Odd thing happened at the Market today.
We had our 'pre-Christmas' Market - so muggins here volunteered to
bring along some PA speakers and a little mains amp to provide
the necessary 'Christmassy' music....

The amp in question is a little 25+25W Mosfet hi-fi amp (ETI, years
ago, if I remember rightly) - which I'd been running in the studio for
the past week or so, just to make sure that everything was working
fine....

Ran an extension lead from the big, Land-rover-mounted, genny that the
meat & sausages man runs. He uses it every week to operate some sort
of a chiller system built into his trailer .... allegedy 240v and
(judging by the size of the genny) loadsa amps...

So - cabled it all up, turned on the mains.... and..... nothing !
Mains in to the amplifier is via a conventional toriod, into a bridge
rectifier, then feeding a front panel led from the +15v rail.
Led didn't light......

Only had a little mains-tester screwdriver - which claimed that there
was something 'live-ish' going into the amp.
Oddly enough, the neon indicator on my little weller soldering iron
also declined to light, when plugged into the power from the genny..

Gave up on the music thing - and used a portable CD boom-box instead.

Got back home, plugged in the amp - and, would you believe it, it
lights up and behaves impeccably.....

So - any bright ideas as to what might have been going on with the
genny ? Be nice to understand it by this time next year g when we
have our next pre-Christmas market....

Any generator experts out there ?

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-11-18 16:45:57 +0000, Adrian said:

HI All

Odd thing happened at the Market today.
We had our 'pre-Christmas' Market - so muggins here volunteered to
bring along some PA speakers and a little mains amp to provide
the necessary 'Christmassy' music....

So - cabled it all up, turned on the mains.... and..... nothing !

So - any bright ideas as to what might have been going on with the
genny ? Be nice to understand it by this time next year g when we
have our next pre-Christmas market....

Yes. God is trying to tell you something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Andy

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:06:24 +0000, Andy Hall

On 2007-11-18 16:45:57 +0000, Adrian said:

HI All

Odd thing happened at the Market today.
We had our 'pre-Christmas' Market - so muggins here volunteered to
bring along some PA speakers and a little mains amp to provide
the necessary 'Christmassy' music....

So - cabled it all up, turned on the mains.... and..... nothing !

So - any bright ideas as to what might have been going on with the
genny ? Be nice to understand it by this time next year g when we
have our next pre-Christmas market....

Yes. God is trying to tell you something.

That's one theory !

Any others ?

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
[...]

My curse on those playing 'music' outside worked...

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Earth/neutral swapped on the supply?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:38:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Well - I'm not surprised it didn't work if both you _and_ God had it
in for me - I should have just stayed in bed ! g

We don't make a habit of it (the music) - just thought it'd help
create the right atmosphere for the market this once....

Odd that the usual chiller system seems quite happy with this
particular flavour of mains.....?

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Dom

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 09:53:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Earth/neutral swapped on the supply?

Would that cause these results ?

The power supply on the amp (just found the circuit diagram) has live
& neutral coming onto the toriod, with mains earth connecting to the
centre tap on the secondary......

Thinking about it - I'm not sure just 'what' the geny was using for
'earth'.... no ground spikes that I could see.... don;t know what's
the usual arrangement in these circumstances

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:05:21 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Earth/neutral swapped on the supply?

Or chiller unit mounted in same truck as genny using the vehical chassis
as the return. Anything not connected to the chassis doesn't have a
circuit...

Thinking about it - I'm not sure just 'what' the geny was using for
'earth'.... no ground spikes that I could see.... don;t know what's
the usual arrangement in these circumstances

In theory the generator chassis should be connected to one of the
alternator phases and that point also connected to the real earth via a
spike. But there are also arguments for having both phases floating wrt
real earth. What is "best" really depends on the individual circumstances,
how things are switched/protected and the existance or not of an RCD.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:14:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:05:21 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Earth/neutral swapped on the supply?

Or chiller unit mounted in same truck as genny using the vehical chassis
as the return. Anything not connected to the chassis doesn't have a
circuit...

Nope - wasn't that g
Chiller is ounted in a towable trailer - fed via a cable from the
genny - probably 20m away. Pluggery at that point looked like
the sort of kit you find on 110v isolation transformers - ended up
'somehow' in a conventional square-pin mains socket - extn lead out to
where I was.

Plugging my amp in back at the 3-pin socket on the trailer also failed
to make the amp work...... - which is why I suspected a problem with
the amp....

Thinking about it - I'm not sure just 'what' the geny was using for
'earth'.... no ground spikes that I could see.... don;t know what's
the usual arrangement in these circumstances

In theory the generator chassis should be connected to one of the
alternator phases and that point also connected to the real earth via a
spike. But there are also arguments for having both phases floating wrt
real earth. What is "best" really depends on the individual circumstances,
how things are switched/protected and the existance or not of an RCD.

I guess the real lesson to be learned (regardless of the bit about
outdoor music and divine intervention g) is that, if you can't
supply _all_ the kit yourself, then you need to take along some basic
test kit to debug the other guys supply arrangements....

Should have remembered that from doing disco / band stuff about 35
years ago !

Ah well - another lesson (re-)learned g

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
[...]

The punters didn't want Slade or Roy Wood anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
Was the chiller unit running when you plugged in or did you go straight into
the supply with no other load.
The reason I ask is that earlier generators were series wound device and
needed a minimal load before they would exite.
May just have been that your kit didn't want enough power.

HTH

CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess the real lesson to be learned (regardless of the bit about
outdoor music and divine intervention g) is that, if you can't
supply _all_ the kit yourself, then you need to take along some basic
test kit to debug the other guys supply arrangements....

Yup. I set up some kit on a yacht, where the captain proudly presented
me with an extension lead he had wired from schuko plug to UK sockets
board. He had managed to connect live to neutral, neutral to earth and
earth to live. Those test plugs, very worthwhile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
So - any bright ideas as to what might have been going on with the
genny

My curse on those playing 'music' outside worked...

Well - I'm not surprised it didn't work if both you _and_ God had it
in for me - I should have just stayed in bed ! g

We don't make a habit of it (the music) - just thought it'd help
create the right atmosphere for the market this once....

Odd that the usual chiller system seems quite happy with this
particular flavour of mains.....?

No chance it was 110v?

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:35:25 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
So - any bright ideas as to what might have been going on with the
genny

My curse on those playing 'music' outside worked...

Well - I'm not surprised it didn't work if both you _and_ God had it
in for me - I should have just stayed in bed ! g

We don't make a habit of it (the music) - just thought it'd help
create the right atmosphere for the market this once....

Odd that the usual chiller system seems quite happy with this
particular flavour of mains.....?

No chance it was 110v?

Well - there's always a chance ! g
This is Ireland, after all...... but the connection was on
standard 240v 3-pin outlets. He had some other stuff plugged in there
- must take a look next time I see him and see what sort of kit that
was....

To be honest, I'm more concerned for the guy who owns the stall /
genny combination - maybe I should suggest that he gets 'somebody who
knows' to take a quick look at his genny / wiring - in the nicest
possible way....

I have one of those '3 neon' mains tester plugs - I guess that might
show up something ?

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Dom

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:08:29 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I guess the real lesson to be learned (regardless of the bit about
outdoor music and divine intervention g) is that, if you can't
supply _all_ the kit yourself, then you need to take along some basic
test kit to debug the other guys supply arrangements....

Yup. I set up some kit on a yacht, where the captain proudly presented
me with an extension lead he had wired from schuko plug to UK sockets
board. He had managed to connect live to neutral, neutral to earth and
earth to live. Those test plugs, very worthwhile.

Ouch !
Talk about 'getting it completely wrong'......
presumably you used the test plug before anything more valuable ?

I'm still wondering exactly what was wrong with the 'mains' that I was
given - I guess the fact that the (live-to-neutral) neon in the Weller
iron didn't light suggests that there wasn't 240v across what I though
was live and neutral..... but, beyond that, it's hard to say....

Ah well - you live & learn !
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI CJ

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:00:36 -0000, "cj" wrote:

Hi
Was the chiller unit running when you plugged in or did you go straight into
the supply with no other load.
The reason I ask is that earlier generators were series wound device and
needed a minimal load before they would exite.
May just have been that your kit didn't want enough power.

That's a possibility....

....must take an electric heater with me next time g

- mind you - wouldn't have been a bad idea yesterday -

fairly strong, cold, northerly breeze going straight through two pairs
of socks and two pairs of trousers - but I believe you had snow on the
hills back in England, so I suppose we shouldn't complain....

The fun of an open-air market !

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian
scribeth thus

wrote:

[...]

I'd imagine that the neutral wasn't that, it was a balanced supply off
the gennie with neither side earthed...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Tony

wrote:

[...]

Possibly - like centre-tapping a 110v site supply ?
All too complicated for me - it'll be batteries or my own / borrowed /
tested genny next time !

Thanks
Adrian

generator problem(s) NoSpam UK diy 27 February 1st 07 03:08 PM
Honda Generator problem Abby Normal Home Repair 2 June 10th 06 07:58 PM
gas generator problem RBM Home Repair 2 July 5th 05 02:19 PM
ANOTHER Onan DJE generator starting problem! (Sunday) Ken Davey Metalworking 3 December 6th 04 07:42 PM
Onan DJE generator starting problem Searcher Metalworking 19 December 6th 04 02:00 AM