Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Odd problem with generator ..?

HI Dave

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:38:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
HI All

Odd thing happened at the Market today.
We had our 'pre-Christmas' Market - so muggins here volunteered to
bring along some PA speakers and a little mains amp to provide
the necessary 'Christmassy' music....

The amp in question is a little 25+25W Mosfet hi-fi amp (ETI, years
ago, if I remember rightly) - which I'd been running in the studio for
the past week or so, just to make sure that everything was working
fine....

Ran an extension lead from the big, Land-rover-mounted, genny that the
meat & sausages man runs. He uses it every week to operate some sort
of a chiller system built into his trailer .... allegedy 240v and
(judging by the size of the genny) loadsa amps...

So - cabled it all up, turned on the mains.... and..... nothing !
Mains in to the amplifier is via a conventional toriod, into a bridge
rectifier, then feeding a front panel led from the +15v rail.
Led didn't light......

Only had a little mains-tester screwdriver - which claimed that there
was something 'live-ish' going into the amp.
Oddly enough, the neon indicator on my little weller soldering iron
also declined to light, when plugged into the power from the genny..

Gave up on the music thing - and used a portable CD boom-box instead.

Got back home, plugged in the amp - and, would you believe it, it
lights up and behaves impeccably.....

So - any bright ideas as to what might have been going on with the
genny

My curse on those playing 'music' outside worked...

Well - I'm not surprised it didn't work if both you _and_ God had it
in for me - I should have just stayed in bed ! g

We don't make a habit of it (the music) - just thought it'd help
create the right atmosphere for the market this once....

Odd that the usual chiller system seems quite happy with this
particular flavour of mains.....?

Adrian