Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Odd problem with generator ..?

Hi Tony

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:05:11 +0000, tony sayer
wrote:

In article , Adrian
scribeth thus
Hi Dom

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:08:29 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I guess the real lesson to be learned (regardless of the bit about
outdoor music and divine intervention g) is that, if you can't
supply _all_ the kit yourself, then you need to take along some basic
test kit to debug the other guys supply arrangements....

Yup. I set up some kit on a yacht, where the captain proudly presented
me with an extension lead he had wired from schuko plug to UK sockets
board. He had managed to connect live to neutral, neutral to earth and
earth to live. Those test plugs, very worthwhile.

Ouch !
Talk about 'getting it completely wrong'......
presumably you used the test plug before anything more valuable ?

I'm still wondering exactly what was wrong with the 'mains' that I was
given - I guess the fact that the (live-to-neutral) neon in the Weller
iron didn't light suggests that there wasn't 240v across what I though
was live and neutral..... but, beyond that, it's hard to say....

Ah well - you live & learn !
Adrian

I'd imagine that the neutral wasn't that, it was a balanced supply off
the gennie with neither side earthed...

Possibly - like centre-tapping a 110v site supply ?
All too complicated for me - it'll be batteries or my own / borrowed /
tested genny next time !

Thanks
Adrian