Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains smoke alarms

Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a list
of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.

The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Aug, 20:03, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a list
of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.

The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I don't think mains is essential, but they must be the ones with non-
removable batteries (so the arsey tenant can't disable them while he
burns his toast of a morning). I refer the honourable gentleman to the
answer given some time ago by Mr Lurch:

"BS5839: Pt 6. Basically it says that as a minimum in dwellings you
require a smoke detector in each communal area, so in a average 3\4
bed semi\detached you'd have one in the hall and one on the landing.
These detectors should have built in non removable backup, lithium
battery\capacitor or similar."

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c0f847?hl=en&

If he's being really awkward put it right over the toaster.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a list
of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.
The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.
Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

If it's a new conversion to comply with Building Regs, or is covered by
HMO Regs, then those are the regs in question. otherwise AFAIK any smoke
alarm is acceptable. The insurers or letting agent might have their own
requirements though.

Part B of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 1991. ...1.4 The smoke
alarms should be mains-operated and conform to BS 5446 ..............
.........They may have a secondary power supply such as a battery (either
rechargeable or replaceable) or capacitor. More information on power
supplies is given in clause 13 of BS 5839: Part 6: 1995.

However a mains powered battery one is much less likely to be disabled
by a tenant 'borrowing' the battery (although this sounds like a nice
conscientious tenant...)

A fairly easy way of fitting one would be:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...afe/index.html

(also link to Building Regs info quoted above)

Otherwise use a ceiling rose adapter,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTTCR2.html
a short length of mini trunking on the ceiling, a surface pattress for
the alarm
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KDSMK23.html
and an alarm a couple of ft from the light fitting.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ISTR building regs require mains mains smoke alarms for new builds and
conversions. But for domestic property the regs are not retrospective.

There are however other regs covering rental property (requiring
yearly boiler checks for instance).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Aug, 20:26, Martin Pentreath
wrote:

I don't think mains is essential, but they must be the ones with non-
removable batteries (so the arsey tenant can't disable them while he
burns his toast of a morning). I refer the honourable gentleman to the
answer given some time ago by Mr Lurch:

"BS5839: Pt 6. Basically it says that as a minimum in dwellings you
require a smoke detector in each communal area, so in a average 3\4
bed semi\detached you'd have one in the hall and one on the landing.
These detectors should have built in non removable backup, lithium
battery\capacitor or similar."

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c0f847?hl=en&

Correction - some further research into BS5839 suggests that battery-
powered ones are OK only in bungalows and flats (if they are rented).
Quite what the number of storeys has to do with it is not clear to
me.

"BS 5839: Pt.6 acknowledges the advantages of the single, battery
operated smoke alarm. They are simple to install and offer protection
at very low cost. Battery operated smoke alarms conforming to BS 5446:
Pt.1 are recommended. Battery operated smoke alarms are suitable for
owner-occupied buildings with up to two storeys, as well as for rented
bungalows and flats. However, battery operated smoke/heat alarms do
have drawbacks. Occupants on a tight budget may not be able to afford
to replace the batteries. A significant number of tenants have also
been shown to remove the batteries to prevent false alarms or to use
in other battery powered devices and then forget to replace them. For
this reason, the Code recommends that these alarms should not be used
to protect tenants in properties of more than one storey - and even
then the batteries should be sealed-in and have a life in excess of 5
years.

As an aside, landlords have now been found liable in cases where
tenants themselves have disabled an alarm. For this reason, it is
unlikely that landlords will be able to trust tenants to adequately
look after the alarms. The Code highlights the fact that battery
powered alarms are only suitable for owner-occupied properties if the
likelihood is, that batteries will be replaced within five days of a
low battery signal."

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/page.php?xPage=bs5839-6.html

None of this has the status of statute and it doesn't seem to be
enforceable before a fire - it just looks like compliance with the BS
provides the landlord with a good defence to any civil or criminal
case after the event.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:03:58 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a list
of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.

The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

As far as I understand it mains smoke alarms are only mandatory in new
builds or properties with 'multiple occupany' like B&Bs and houses
converted to flats. As far as this tenant is concerned battery
operated is fine, as long as the battery is sealed in the alarm and
not removable. Of course all smoke alarms have to meet BS5446 but I
doubt you'll be able to find one that isn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Thanks, saw that & thought it would be ideal, except they have a four
spotlight thingy on the landing.

I'll have to take a feed from that.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:40:33 -0700 someone who may be Martin
Pentreath quoted this:-

"However, battery operated smoke/heat alarms do
have drawbacks. Occupants on a tight budget may not be able to afford
to replace the batteries. A significant number of tenants have also
been shown to remove the batteries to prevent false alarms or to use
in other battery powered devices and then forget to replace them."

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.

"The Code highlights the fact that battery
powered alarms are only suitable for owner-occupied properties if the
likelihood is, that batteries will be replaced within five days of a
low battery signal."

Given that owner-occupiers sometimes take holidays lasting more than
five days, it is unlikely that this restriction will always be
complied with.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DIY-Not wrote:

As far as I understand it mains smoke alarms are only mandatory in new
builds or properties with 'multiple occupany' like B&Bs and houses
converted to flats. As far as this tenant is concerned battery
operated is fine, as long as the battery is sealed in the alarm and
not removable. Of course all smoke alarms have to meet BS5446 but I
doubt you'll be able to find one that isn't.

mains interlinked alarms become mandatory once you go over three storeys
IIUC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a
list of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.

The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

A friend lives in a block of flats where, recently, one of the occupants of
another flat managed to have a chip pan fire. The fire brigade sent one of
their fire prevention officers around, who fitted, free of charge, a battery
operated smoke alarm in any flats that did not have one.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message . ..
Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have
a list of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke
alarm'. The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with
'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot
more than installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

A friend lives in a block of flats where, recently, one of the
occupants of another flat managed to have a chip pan fire. The fire
brigade sent one of their fire prevention officers around, who
fitted, free of charge, a battery operated smoke alarm in any flats
that did not have one.

That's a positive solution from the Fire Service but we still need to
know what a landlord's obligation is. I suspect, but readily admit to
not knowing, that anything above one storey for multiple tenancy needs
mains supplied fire alarms, (though others have suggested three storey).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

Quite what the number of storeys has to do with it is not clear to
me.

Maybe it is because you don't need a warning if you can jump out the
window? We recently had the house rewired and mains smoke detectors
were put in even if there is an interruption to the mains supply they
have a battery backup, and the alarms (2) are linked so if one goes off
they both do there is no way you could sleep through those going off.

When I was a student I lived in student flats (Dundee, Alloway place)
where smoke detectors had been fitted throughout even in the kitchens
any time someone burned toast or WHY the alarms went off and being
student flats three appliances had to attend including one of those big
schnorkel things, was later realised a heat detector rather than a smoke
detector should have been fitted in the kitchens.
--
'S rioghal mo dhream
Ciamar a tha sibh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:40:33 -0700 someone who may be Martin
Pentreath quoted this:-

"However, battery operated smoke/heat alarms do
have drawbacks. Occupants on a tight budget may not be able to afford
to replace the batteries. A significant number of tenants have also
been shown to remove the batteries to prevent false alarms or to use
in other battery powered devices and then forget to replace them."

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.

It has a lot to do with it.

The theory behind interlinked mains smoke detectors is that if an alarm
goes off on the ground floor, you will hear an alarm near where you are,
fumbling around on the 3rd floor, and get out before the fire cuts you off.

"The Code highlights the fact that battery
powered alarms are only suitable for owner-occupied properties if the
likelihood is, that batteries will be replaced within five days of a
low battery signal."

Given that owner-occupiers sometimes take holidays lasting more than
five days, it is unlikely that this restriction will always be
complied with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My Letting agent said that if I fit smoke alarms the landlord or
letting agent become responsible for regular testing, so they advise
the tenant to fit there own and so take responsibility for the testing

From http://www.wiltshirefirebrigade.com/...oke_alarms.htm

I live in rented accommodation so my landlord is responsible for
fitting a smoke alarm.
FALSE - In fact, landlords aren't under any legal obligation to do so
unless the premises have been built since 1992. All homes built since
1992 (about 1.5 million new homes) are legally required to be fitted
with a basic mains-powered alarm on each floor level.
If you live in rented accommodation ask your landlord to supply smoke
alarms and a carbon monoxide alarm (on moral grounds). Ask for proof
that electrical items provided have been subject to small appliance
testing for electrical safety and that power supply distribution
boards have life protection power cut outs.
Also ensure that heating equipment (gas and electric portable heaters,
boilers etc) has been serviced annually as required and that gas-tight
flues are properly provided and maintained.
If your landlord won't consider the safety of his/her tenants then
move out immediately and report the landlord to your local fire
station as a fire risk.

From http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/fire_safety.htm

The building regulations require that all properties built after June
1992 must have a mains operated inter-connected smoke alarm fitted on
every level of the property.

Older properties do not have to comply but landlords would be well
advised to provide at least battery operated smoke alarms in the
property.

It is important to determine who is responsible for testing and
maintaining the smoke alarms - the landlord, agent or tenant. If the
agent is to be responsible, this should be noted in the management
contract. If the tenant is to be made responsible for this then
adequate warnings must be given in writing.

Documents such as the tenancy agreement, the inventory and the
appliance operating instruction and emergency procedures information
pack given to tenants, should mention the responsibility of the tenant
to test and replace batteries in smoke alarms when fitted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

David Hansen wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:40:33 -0700 someone who may be Martin
Pentreath quoted this:-

"However, battery operated smoke/heat alarms do
have drawbacks. Occupants on a tight budget may not be able to afford
to replace the batteries. A significant number of tenants have also
been shown to remove the batteries to prevent false alarms or to use
in other battery powered devices and then forget to replace them."

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.

There's apparently some dodgy quoting here but, I take it you are referring
to this statement, which has been cut from the OP's post.

Correction - some further research into BS5839 suggests that battery-
powered ones are OK only in bungalows and flats (if they are rented).
Quite what the number of storeys has to do with it is not clear to
me.

Looks like the OP is using BS 5839 (part 6 2004 I presume) as the quoted
supporting evidence. This is pretty clear in as far that for existing
dwellings the number of storeys (and floor area) is taken into account
regarding the grade of protection required.

cheers

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a list
of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.

The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

One relevant document is BS 5839-6: 2004 Fire detection and fire
alarm systems for buildings — Part 6: Code of practice for the design,
installation and maintenance of fire detection and fire alarm systems in
dwellings

Your library might have a copy. It is however a code of practice,and
generally only makes recommendations, but I presume the legislation or local
requirements will make reference to this as the minimum level required.

My reading of it is that for rented property (200m squared) then _the
recommendation_ is that the minimum requirement is for battery powered smoke
alarms for bungalow, flat or other single storey unit.
Above two storeys, or a maisonette then you are into mains powered with
battery back up territory.

cheers

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 29, 8:44 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Thanks, saw that & thought it would be ideal, except they have a four
spotlight thingy on the landing.

I'll have to take a feed from that.

I'd fit an 'optical' type smoke alarm and not the burnt-toast-and-
shower-steam-detector 'ionisation' type.

IMHO the latter give smoke alarms a bad name and invariably get
disabled to avoid numerous false alarms.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 29, 8:53 pm, David Hansen
wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:40:33 -0700 someone who may be Martin
Pentreath quoted this:-

"However, battery operated smoke/heat alarms do
have drawbacks. Occupants on a tight budget may not be able to afford
to replace the batteries. A significant number of tenants have also
been shown to remove the batteries to prevent false alarms or to use
in other battery powered devices and then forget to replace them."

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.

Read it again. You'll find that he did.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Occupants on a tight budget may not be able to afford
to replace the batteries. A significant number of tenants have also
been shown to remove the batteries to prevent false alarms or to use
in other battery powered devices and then forget to replace them. For
this reason, the Code recommends that these alarms should not be used
to protect tenants in properties of more than one storey - and even
then the batteries should be sealed-in and have a life in excess of 5
years.

Sorted - Kidde smake alarm with built in litium ion power pack - minimum 10
year life. Tennant happy!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:37:22 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.

It has a lot to do with it.

Incorrect.

The theory behind interlinked mains smoke detectors is that if an alarm
goes off on the ground floor, you will hear an alarm near where you are,
fumbling around on the 3rd floor, and get out before the fire cuts you off.

Battery-operated interlinked smoke alarms do this just as well.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote this:-

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.

It has a lot to do with it.

Incorrect.

The theory behind interlinked mains smoke detectors is that if an alarm
goes off on the ground floor, you will hear an alarm near where you are,
fumbling around on the 3rd floor, and get out before the fire cuts you off.

Battery-operated interlinked smoke alarms do this just as well.

I tried to buy some a couple of years ago, and couldn't find any.
Interlinked ones all seem to be mains these days.

(OK, you may be able to get them, but they're not common. Anyway, I felt
it was a better job to use mains ones...all six of them!)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote this:-

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.

It has a lot to do with it.

Incorrect.

The theory behind interlinked mains smoke detectors is that if an alarm
goes off on the ground floor, you will hear an alarm near where you are,
fumbling around on the 3rd floor, and get out before the fire cuts you off.

Battery-operated interlinked smoke alarms do this just as well.

well if you have gone to all the trouble of running the interlinking
wiring, seems that running them off mains would be a lot simpler.

I want aware that battery interlinked were even available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 04:24:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
mused:

Philosopher wrote this:-

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.
It has a lot to do with it.

Incorrect.

The theory behind interlinked mains smoke detectors is that if an alarm
goes off on the ground floor, you will hear an alarm near where you are,
fumbling around on the 3rd floor, and get out before the fire cuts you off.

Battery-operated interlinked smoke alarms do this just as well.

well if you have gone to all the trouble of running the interlinking
wiring, seems that running them off mains would be a lot simpler.

I think you could be a bit more 'creative' with your low voltage
wiring.

I want aware that battery interlinked were even available.

I've never fitted them, always fit interlinked mains\battery or
mains\capacitor ones, or smokes linked to an intruder alarm, which I
find better quality usually and less prone to false alarms.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

Philosopher wrote this:-

The number of storeys has nothing to do with this, no matter how
many assertions the authors make without quoting supporting
evidence.

It has a lot to do with it.

Incorrect.

Do you want to try backing up what you are so certain of with something
other than just your opinion?

cheers

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:05:43 +0100 someone who may be DM
wrote this:-

Do you want to try backing up what you are so certain of with something
other than just your opinion?

I did so, but you snipped it out.

Nice try.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:03:58 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, "The Medway
Handyman" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a list
of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.

The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

Building Regulations only cover "building work", which includes the
erection or extension of a building, the material change of use of a
building or part of a building, or the material alteration of a
building or part of a building, or of a controlled service or fitting.

Material alteration only includes work which would, at any stage,
result in a building not complying with a Relevant Requirement where
previously it did, or making it worse in terms of complying with a
Relevant Requirement than it did previously.

The Relevant Requirements in this case are structure and fire safety.

This is why the installation of any _additional_ detection is not
Building Work and therefore does not need to comply with the
applicable guidance, but replacing or altering any existing detection
would be.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Realise interlinked alarms require some work.
You need to get the link from ground-floor ceiling to
hall-ceiling - which may involve major redecoration.

If you are going to fit interlinked smoke alarms, you
may as well use mains powered w/battery backup.
EI 141 are cheap - just £12-14 on Ebay, long life.

Wiring...
Wire off a local lighting circuit whose loss would be
obvious - such as the hall lighting circuit. Use 3C+E
for power-&-interlink, NOT the E conductor of 2C+E
(fails inspection & no-one expects E to be live).
Ensure L+N polarity is correct incidentally.

An alternative is to use Wireless Interlinked Alarms,
EI have a range of these - wireless via the bases.
Obviously this puts price up quite considerably.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 12:19 pm, "Bob Eager" wrote:
On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 11:14:19 UTC, wrote:
Wire off a local lighting circuit whose loss would be
obvious - such as the hall lighting circuit. Use 3C+E
for power-&-interlink, NOT the E conductor of 2C+E
(fails inspection & no-one expects E to be live).

Agreed. Or use a separate circuit and wire a non-maintained
emrgency light to it, fitted over the stairs. Serves the same
function *and* gives you lighting backup in a power cut.

We did just that - lights the stairs very effectively.

I think Building Regs as of ?June? require the emergency-light
& smoke alarm to be on a (switched) SFCU and not just FCU.
The argument IIRC is to test the light works & provide isolation.

MK do SFCU with red switches, and neons, as differentiation.
--
JS.B

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

wrote this:-

Do you want to try backing up what you are so certain of with something
other than just your opinion?

I did so, but you snipped it out.

Nice try.

Check again, and please post whatever you imagined of relevance that I
apparently snipped out.

I think your requirements for a reference and mine must differ somewhat.

cheers

David

Smoke Alarms Jacque Asse Home Repair 10 July 18th 07 10:46 AM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM
New Smoke Alarms Matt Home Ownership 11 August 16th 04 11:32 PM
Wiring mains smoke alarms David Robinson UK diy 17 December 10th 03 03:11 PM
Mains/Battery smoke alarms Kalico UK diy 2 December 5th 03 08:43 PM