Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY-Not DIY-Not is offline

Default Mains smoke alarms

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:03:58 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a list
of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.

The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

As far as I understand it mains smoke alarms are only mandatory in new
builds or properties with 'multiple occupany' like B&Bs and houses
converted to flats. As far as this tenant is concerned battery
operated is fine, as long as the battery is sealed in the alarm and
not removable. Of course all smoke alarms have to meet BS5446 but I
doubt you'll be able to find one that isn't.