David Robinson

Default Wiring mains smoke alarms

Please help me to channel into the walls just once... :-)

I want to install two or three mains smoke alarms, and interlink them
(so when one goes off, they all go off).

What type of smoke alarm is recommended for a hall way near a kitchen,
a den, and an upstairs landing?

As I'll probably put the wiring into the walls before buying the smoke
alarms, what cable should I lay to power and interlink all three
devices?

Cheers,
David.

These are fairly easy to source and install, I fitted four interlinked
about 3 years ago, I think they were about £20 to £23 each. Use a heat
dectecting one in the kitchen so it;s not affected by smoke and
ordinary smoke dectectors elsewhere.Use three core (red,blue,yellow)
plus earth to interconnect them, red/blue for mains supply and yellow
to interconnect them, dont be tempted to use ordinary twin & earth
using earth to interconnect - not allowed. Pick up mains supply from
lighting circuit at fuse board, not protected by RCD as you want
lights and alarms to work in event of emergency.
Mark Atherton
On 8 Dec 2003 04:04:51 -0800, (David
Robinson) wrote:

Please help me to channel into the walls just once... :-)

I want to install two or three mains smoke alarms, and interlink them
(so when one goes off, they all go off).

What type of smoke alarm is recommended for a hall way near a kitchen,
a den, and an upstairs landing?

As I'll probably put the wiring into the walls before buying the smoke
alarms, what cable should I lay to power and interlink all three
devices?

Cheers,
David.

Colin

lighting circuit at fuse board, not protected by RCD as you want
lights and alarms to work in event of emergency.

Yes... that reminds me. I was wondering the other day why manufacturers
don't combine burglar alarms with smoke alarms. Certainly would cut down on
the wiring(?)

Colin

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Colin" writes:
lighting circuit at fuse board, not protected by RCD as you want
lights and alarms to work in event of emergency.

Yes... that reminds me. I was wondering the other day why manufacturers
don't combine burglar alarms with smoke alarms. Certainly would cut down on
the wiring(?)

Many burglar alarms support smoke alarms. I've got 3 on mine.

--
Andrew Gabriel

BigWallop

"Colin" wrote in message
lighting circuit at fuse board, not protected by RCD as you want
lights and alarms to work in event of emergency.

Yes... that reminds me. I was wondering the other day why manufacturers
don't combine burglar alarms with smoke alarms. Certainly would cut down

on
the wiring(?)

Colin

An alarm panel with Personal Attack zone can also be used for smoke
detection devices. The PA zone is a constant circuit, so a smoke detector
with a normally closed switch (there are many on the market) can be placed
on this loop.

There are also alarm panels with a zone or two, which can be programmed as
fire detection circuits, so you're not stuck if you wish to place fire and
intruder all in one panel.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Colin

"Pete Cross" 1@2 wrote in message ...
I bought 12v linked detectors and wired them into our house alarm on the
24hr loop.

Interesting idea. I was actually thinking of the actual sensor housing
having a PIR as well as a smoke detector. Also using the same wires.

Wouldn't you want a different siren for smoke? With a burglar alarm you run
into the house and lock the doors... and the other, you run out...

Colin

Witchy

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:16:53 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

"Pete Cross" 1@2 wrote in message ...
I bought 12v linked detectors and wired them into our house alarm on the
24hr loop.

Interesting idea. I was actually thinking of the actual sensor housing
having a PIR as well as a smoke detector. Also using the same wires.

Wouldn't you want a different siren for smoke? With a burglar alarm you run
into the house and lock the doors... and the other, you run out...

The alarm panel I installed in my last house in the mid 90s supported
a separate fire circuit, and the PIRs had smoke detectors in 'em.
There was a separate bell box connection for the fire circuit too, so
I wired it up to an old firebell I had lying around

I think it was an Omnicron but I wouldn't swear to it.....the name
MST3000 springs to mind too.

It's time to source a similar panel for this house too I think. After
fitting mains powered detectors in other houses I want them here as
well, as well as an extra couple of zones.
--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs
Jim

And be sure they also carry the battery back-up system.

ARWadsworth

"Colin" wrote in message

"Pete Cross" 1@2 wrote in message ...
I bought 12v linked detectors and wired them into our house alarm on the
24hr loop.

Interesting idea. I was actually thinking of the actual sensor housing
having a PIR as well as a smoke detector.

There might then be a problem with the positioning of such a combined
device. Smoke detectors need to be away from the corners of walls and
ceilings to aid a fast detection of smoke and PIRs are usually placed in
such places.

--
Adam

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Colin" writes:

"Pete Cross" 1@2 wrote in message ...
I bought 12v linked detectors and wired them into our house alarm on the
24hr loop.

Interesting idea. I was actually thinking of the actual sensor housing
having a PIR as well as a smoke detector. Also using the same wires.

Generally, PIRs tend to be put in positions where a smoke alarm
doesn't work properly, in corners between ceiling and wall, or
worse, ceiling and two walls.

Wouldn't you want a different siren for smoke? With a burglar alarm you run
into the house and lock the doors... and the other, you run out...

If the alarm has fire detection zones or can program zones for this
purpose, then yes. In my case, the siren for fire is three blasts
and then a silence where the fourth would be, repeated. That's in
addition to the smoke detector's built-in siren.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Rick Hughes

"David Robinson" wrote in message
om...
Please help me to channel into the walls just once... :-)

I want to install two or three mains smoke alarms, and interlink them
(so when one goes off, they all go off).

What type of smoke alarm is recommended for a hall way near a kitchen,
a den, and an upstairs landing?

As I'll probably put the wiring into the walls before buying the smoke
alarms, what cable should I lay to power and interlink all three
devices?

I wrote a sect for the UK Selfbuild FAQ on this .... you can get the FAQ on

www.borpin.co.uk/sbfaq

or original doc on SelfBuild site in files area:

Rick

The Natural Philosopher

Colin wrote:

lighting circuit at fuse board, not protected by RCD as you want
lights and alarms to work in event of emergency.

Yes... that reminds me. I was wondering the other day why manufacturers
don't combine burglar alarms with smoke alarms. Certainly would cut down on
the wiring(?)

Essentially because the placement requirements for the two things are
different.

Colin

David Robinson

Thank you all for your help, and for the excellent links.

Cheers,
David.
Christian McArdle

Wouldn't you want a different siren for smoke? With a burglar alarm
you run into the house and lock the doors... and the other, you run
out...

My alarm gives a separate ring tone if the zone is set to be a fire zone. If
you set it to be a 24h fire zone, you don't need to set the alarm for
protection, either.

I've wired my intruder alarm up to my mains smoke detectors via an optional
relay control output. You get the detector alarms plus the alarm buzzer.
You'll even get the outside bell box going, when I can be bothered to fit
it.

Christian.