Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default Mains smoke alarms

On 29 Aug, 20:03, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Doing some work for a guy who is abroad & has let his house. I have a list
of exactly what he wants done and one item is 'fit smoke alarm'.

The tenant says it must be a mains smoke alarm to comply with 'the
regulations'. Is this right? If so it's going to come to a lot more than
installing a battery model.

Anyone know? Is it building regs or something else?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I don't think mains is essential, but they must be the ones with non-
removable batteries (so the arsey tenant can't disable them while he
burns his toast of a morning). I refer the honourable gentleman to the
answer given some time ago by Mr Lurch:

"BS5839: Pt 6. Basically it says that as a minimum in dwellings you
require a smoke detector in each communal area, so in a average 3\4
bed semi\detached you'd have one in the hall and one on the landing.
These detectors should have built in non removable backup, lithium
battery\capacitor or similar."

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....2c0f847?hl=en&

If he's being really awkward put it right over the toaster.

Cheers!

Martin