Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smoke Alarms

With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of a
townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke
source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then
shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jacque Asse wrote:
With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of a
townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke
source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then
shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?

defective, low battery, steam from shower, spiders?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know the details. I do know there are at least two types & you
should be able to find the details fast on the internet. One is more
expersive than the other, so a minimum price may be closer to $30 than $10
becasue of this, or $40 instead of $20. One is better suited to specific
applications. One uses a "light" beam, and the other? And of course there
are battery and hardwired units. You can even get combo units which use
both smoke sensor technologies, and units than double as CO (carbon
monoxide) detectors, etc.

"newb" wrote in message
Jacque Asse wrote:
With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor
of a townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no
smoke source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes
but then shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent
false alarm?

defective, low battery, steam from shower, spiders?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"newb" wrote in message

Jacque Asse wrote:
With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor
of a townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no
smoke source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes
but then shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent
false alarm?

defective, low battery, steam from shower, spiders?

Interesting: I was going to mention this smoke alarm business, again,
although it's been discussed here previously.
Shortly after I opened the the front door this morning; although not
as humid outside as yesterday, the smoke alarm at bottom of basement
stairs above and outside the workshop door, started sounding
intermittently.
Changed the battery for a new one just to make sure but it continued.
It certainly seems to confirm that certain (cheap ones anyway) will
sound off due to humidity. We have a total of three smoke alarms and a
CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector/alarm in passageway adjacent to
bedrooms. This one seems to be the most sensitive to humidity; warm
moist air must filter down to the cooler basement thus increasing the
relative humidity and setting off the alarm? This one also
occasionally sounds if wood binds while running it through the bench
saw!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:22:49 GMT, "Jacque Asse"
wrote:

With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of a
townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke
source, no heat source).

That you can see.

Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then
shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?

You don't know it is a false alarm.

How do you tell if there is smoke? With a smoke alarm. Get a new
second smoke alarm of the same sort (ionic or photoelectric) and put
it up close to the first one. Then compare the results.

A neighbor of mine thought their alarm, also on the ceiling of the
second floor hall, was going off for no good reason, so they removed
it. A few weeks or months later a fire burned out their whole
kitchen, with smoke damage to the rest of the house and water damage
in the basement from the fire department.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of a
townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke
source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then
shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?

How old is the fire alarm?

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/14/2007 10:22 AM Jacque Asse said the following:
With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of a
townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke
source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then
shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?

We rented a motor home one time and the smoke alarm went off every time
one of the women used a hair spray.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:08:11 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of a
townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke
source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then
shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?

How old is the fire alarm?

Good point, but I'd buy a new one even if it's not old. False alarms
aren't useful. Next thing, the batteries come out.

Exactly!

Too often I hear, the alarm kept going off, so I killed it.

tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just Joshin wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:08:11 -0400, krw wrote:
With a battery-operated alarm located in a central hallway on 2nd floor of
a townhouse. Alarm goes off with no apparent reason (no fire, no smoke
source, no heat source). Alarm stayed on steady for few minutes but then
shut off. Any suggestions as to what may cause this apparent false alarm?

I've had this problem periodically... maybe once every five years or so. Each
time it was corrected with the vacuum cleaner. Alternately, you could try
blowing it out with a can of compressed air.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Help needed re smoke alarms Jim Beaver Home Repair 10 February 12th 07 12:47 AM
Smoke Alarms jason UK diy 9 January 13th 06 04:47 PM
Smoke Alarms Jerr Home Repair 6 March 7th 05 11:41 PM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM
New Smoke Alarms Matt Home Ownership 11 August 16th 04 11:32 PM