Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Default For spotters of unusual odometer readings...

On 11 August 2004, "Al Reynolds" wrote:
Sorry this is off-topic, but I read and post to these groups
fairly regularly, and I thought there were bound to be some
other sad folk like me who look out for particular odometer
readings (e.g. 654321, 111111, 123456 etc.)

Earlier today, my car was showing this reading:
http://www.bat400.com/images/odo1.gif (gif/53k)

Can you see why it's significant?
If not then this clue might help:
http://www.bat400.com/images/odo2.gif (gif/79k)

Sad as it is, I started to wonder whether this would ever
happen about three years ago, and it finally has. Now I need
to find out if there are any support groups for sad odometer
obsessives out there...

Some time ago I posted about how the odometer on my car
matched the date. It's been three years 50,003 miles since then
and despite the number of wierd groups on the 'net for obsessives
of all kinds, I haven't yet found one for people with an interest in
unusual odometer readings.

Anyhew, about four days ago when I filled up with petrol, I zeroed
my tripmeter and noticed that the odometer would be coming up to
a potential match with the date again. Unfortunately, being slightly
obsessive, I couldn't leave it at that. With 122 miles to go until the
odometer would read 160807, I realised there was the potential
for the odo to match the date *and* the trip to match the time.

I bought a newspaper first thing, and today, at 12:21, my odometer
read 160807 and the trip read 122.1. I took a photo because I am
even sadder than I sound. I didn't even have to drive around or
wait for ages ... I got back to my house at 12:15, popped inside to
get my camera, and took the photo while sitting on the drive.

Here it is:
Overall: http://www.bat400.com/images/odo3.jpg (116k)
Closer: http://www.bat400.com/images/odo4.jpg (160k)

Now I know the significant majority will think I have too much time
on my hands, and that I probably need to get out more (but not in
my car, obviously). Fair enough. Guilty as charged.

I just thought there will be a few people out there who might enjoy
sharing in my wierdness for a few moments.

Cheers,
Al Reynolds

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

On 16 Aug, 13:57, "Al Reynolds" wrote:
[...]

Al Reynolds- Hide quoted text -

Only an Independent reader....

Will.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
news
... I haven't yet found one for people with an interest in
unusual odometer readings.

Well now you have.

We log every journey (have done for years, don't know why) and always record
unusual ones.

Anyhew, about four days ago when I filled up with petrol, I zeroed
my tripmeter and noticed that the odometer would be coming up to
a potential match with the date again. Unfortunately, being slightly
obsessive, I couldn't leave it at that. With 122 miles to go until the
odometer would read 160807, I realised there was the potential
for the odo to match the date *and* the trip to match the time.

I bought a newspaper first thing, and today, at 12:21, my odometer
read 160807 and the trip read 122.1. I took a photo because I am
even sadder than I sound. I didn't even have to drive around or
wait for ages ... I got back to my house at 12:15, popped inside to
get my camera, and took the photo while sitting on the drive.

:-)

I don't think I'd go that far ...

.... but I don't thinnk you're odd because you did.

Mary

Here it is:
Overall: http://www.bat400.com/images/odo3.jpg (116k)
Closer: http://www.bat400.com/images/odo4.jpg (160k)

Now I know the significant majority will think I have too much time
on my hands, and that I probably need to get out more (but not in
my car, obviously). Fair enough. Guilty as charged.

I just thought there will be a few people out there who might enjoy
sharing in my wierdness for a few moments.

Cheers,
Al Reynolds

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
news
I just thought there will be a few people out there who might enjoy
sharing in my wierdness for a few moments.

Indeed. You may be a barking mad obsessive, but it's quite amusing :-)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Al Reynolds wrote:

I bought a newspaper first thing, and today, at 12:21, my odometer
read 160807 and the trip read 122.1. I took a photo because I am
even sadder than I sound. I didn't even have to drive around or
wait for ages ... I got back to my house at 12:15, popped inside to
get my camera, and took the photo while sitting on the drive.

Here it is:
Overall: http://www.bat400.com/images/odo3.jpg (116k)
Closer: http://www.bat400.com/images/odo4.jpg (160k)

Now I know the significant majority will think I have too much time
on my hands, and that I probably need to get out more (but not in
my car, obviously). Fair enough. Guilty as charged.

I just thought there will be a few people out there who might enjoy
sharing in my wierdness for a few moments.

Do we get bonus points for being able to identify the car from the
switchgear? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
news
I just thought there will be a few people out there who might enjoy
sharing in my wierdness for a few moments.

Indeed. You may be a barking mad obsessive, but it's quite amusing :-)

Some years ago at the end of a day's run I was filling in a tachograph, and
the closing reading seemed familiar.

Next morning, filling in a new chart, I realised why. It was showing my
phone No.

Doh

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Al Reynolds ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Anyhew, about four days ago when I filled up with petrol, I zeroed
my tripmeter and noticed that the odometer would be coming up to
a potential match with the date again. Unfortunately, being slightly
obsessive, I couldn't leave it at that. With 122 miles to go until the
odometer would read 160807, I realised there was the potential
for the odo to match the date *and* the trip to match the time.

I bought a newspaper first thing, and today, at 12:21, my odometer
read 160807 and the trip read 122.1. I took a photo because I am
even sadder than I sound. I didn't even have to drive around or
wait for ages ... I got back to my house at 12:15, popped inside to
get my camera, and took the photo while sitting on the drive.

I'm glad there's a place in our society for people like you.

Just as long as it isn't _too_ near me...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"John Rumm" wrote:
Do we get bonus points for being able to identify the car from the
switchgear? ;-)

Ah, the switchgear only narrows it down to two manufacturers.
The mileage should tell you which one it's more likely to be!

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"John Rumm" wrote:
Do we get bonus points for being able to identify the car from the
switchgear? ;-)

Ah, the switchgear only narrows it down to two manufacturers.
The mileage should tell you which one it's more likely to be!

Al

A Nissan of some sort? Switchgear resembles my QX but the speedo is on the
left and my rev counter on the right, opposite way to yours, so maybe a
Toyota?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

A Nissan of some sort? Switchgear resembles my QX but the speedo is on the
left and my rev counter on the right, opposite way to yours, so maybe a
Toyota?

Neither Nissan nor Toyota. Right part of the world though.
Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Al Reynolds wrote:
A Nissan of some sort? Switchgear resembles my QX but the speedo is on the
left and my rev counter on the right, opposite way to yours, so maybe a
Toyota?

Neither Nissan nor Toyota. Right part of the world though.
Al

Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of the
wheel (and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but judging
by the dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the redline and the top
speed on the speedo are too low. Legacy or Imprezzer is a more difficult
question! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
bof bof is offline

In message , Al Reynolds
writes
[...]

I like watching out for odooddities too, but somehow since getting a car
with an LCD readout, rather than mechanical, some of the magic seems to
have gone from the number spotting, going from x99999 to y00000 is
particularly disappointing.

(x-post added for the u.m. obsessives)

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

[...]

My Car's just done 123456, I spent ages waiting for it, and then missed the
event.. :-( Ruined my day that did...

Mat

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 245.131...
[...]

I think that will suit folk like Al and me :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

A few years ago, in the days of mechanical odometers, I was looking
forward with great excitement to the first time ever having a car when
it went right round and back to zero.
It was when there were only 5 digits, and it was to go from 99999 to
00000.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Mat C" wrote in message

My Car's just done 123456, I spent ages waiting for it, and then missed
the event.. :-( Ruined my day that did...

Aww - I'm genuinely sorry about that. Really.

Mary

Mat

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of the wheel
(and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but judging by the
dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the redline and the top speed on
the speedo are too low. Legacy or Imprezzer is a more difficult question!
;-)

Not Subaru either! It is 1997.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of the
wheel (and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but judging
by the dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the redline and the top
speed on the speedo are too low. Legacy or Imprezzer is a more difficult
question! ;-)

Not Subaru either! It is 1997.

I did have an old Honda Accord many, many moons ago (J-reg ['92 or '93 IIRC]
and that had 97k on it when I bought it - ran it to 153k before it went to
that great forecourt in the sky and I seem to remember the indicator stalk
being on the "right" side, so maybe one of those?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Al Reynolds wrote:
Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of the wheel
(and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but judging by the
dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the redline and the top speed on
the speedo are too low. Legacy or Imprezzer is a more difficult question!
;-)

Not Subaru either! It is 1997.

Ah, ok someone that shares switchgear - Mazda or Mitsubishi I suppose
would be the likely options then...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

I did have an old Honda Accord many, many moons ago (J-reg ['92 or '93
IIRC] and that had 97k on it when I bought it - ran it to 153k before it
went to that great forecourt in the sky and I seem to remember the
indicator stalk being on the "right" side, so maybe one of those?

If I had five pounds, you could claim them!
It is a 97 Accord Aerodeck.

There was a saloon Accord built in the same factory (in Ohio
I think) which did 1 million miles! I will be happy if I get to a
quarter of that!

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
news
On 11 August 2004, "Al Reynolds" wrote:
Sorry this is off-topic, but I read and post to these groups
fairly regularly, and I thought there were bound to be some
other sad folk like me who look out for particular odometer
readings (e.g. 654321, 111111, 123456 etc.)

Earlier today, my car was showing this reading:
http://www.bat400.com/images/odo1.gif (gif/53k)

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the line-up of the digits. If I went
to buy a car and the numbers lined up as badly as that, the alarm bells
would be ringing in my ear: "Warning, clocked car!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Partac" wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has commented on the line-up of the digits. If I went
to buy a car and the numbers lined up as badly as that, the alarm bells
would be ringing in my ear: "Warning, clocked car!"

People did comment after the first time I posted. I bought it
at 80k and it had a fully documented Honda history, so I'm
guessing it's just a rubbish odometer?

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
I did have an old Honda Accord many, many moons ago (J-reg ['92 or '93
IIRC] and that had 97k on it when I bought it - ran it to 153k before it
went to that great forecourt in the sky and I seem to remember the
indicator stalk being on the "right" side, so maybe one of those?

If I had five pounds, you could claim them!

Why thanks Al - I'll have a pint on your behalf later )

It is a 97 Accord Aerodeck.

There was a saloon Accord built in the same factory (in Ohio
I think) which did 1 million miles! I will be happy if I get to a
quarter of that!

Aye, they were good cars, them Accords. I'm sure you'll get there )

John

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:45:50 +0100, bof
wrote:

In message , Al Reynolds
writes
[...]

I wondered how the speaking clock coped with BST so stayed up and
listened:
On the third stroke it will be 1 59 and forty seconds - pip pip pip
On the third stroke it will be 159 and fifty seconds - pip pip pip
On the third stroke it will be 3 o'clock precisely - pip pip pip
.............. and so, off to bed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Al Reynolds wrote:
Al Reynolds wrote:
...Earlier today, my car was showing this reading:
http://www.bat400.com/images/odo1.gif (gif/53k)
Can you see why it's significant?
If not then this clue might help:
http://www.bat400.com/images/odo2.gif (gif/79k)

...With 122 miles to go until the
odometer would read 160807, I realised there was the potential
for the odo to match the date *and* the trip to match the time. I bought a
newspaper first thing, and today, at 12:21, my odometer
read 160807 and the trip read 122.1....
Overall: http://www.bat400.com/images/odo3.jpg (116k)
Closer: http://www.bat400.com/images/odo4.jpg (160k)...

Verily, it's worthy of .....
http://www.forteantimes.com/

Click "Send us stuff" under "Community", right at the centre of the page.

--
Lin Chung.
[Paste ntlworld over the Water Margin to send a private e-mail.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:47:24 +0100, "Mat C" mused:

My Car's just done 123456, I spent ages waiting for it, and then missed the
event.. :-( Ruined my day that did...

I know how you feel, I had my car lined up to show 88888 on the
mileage, 888.8 on the trip and I was going to be doing 88 mph when it
all digitally 'clicked' into place.

I forgot.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Lurch wrote in
:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:47:24 +0100, "Mat C" mused:

My Car's just done 123456, I spent ages waiting for it, and then
missed the event.. :-( Ruined my day that did...

I know how you feel, I had my car lined up to show 88888 on the
mileage, 888.8 on the trip and I was going to be doing 88 mph when it
all digitally 'clicked' into place.

I forgot.

Probably just as well. Health & Safety would do you for the ensuing two
lines of fire down the highway, assuming they could follow you into the
future...

--
Tunku

"Caution : traces of irony and other metallic objects may be present in
the above post"
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Tunku wrote:
Lurch wrote in
:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:47:24 +0100, "Mat C" mused:

My Car's just done 123456, I spent ages waiting for it, and then
missed the event.. :-( Ruined my day that did...

I know how you feel, I had my car lined up to show 88888 on the
mileage, 888.8 on the trip and I was going to be doing 88 mph when it
all digitally 'clicked' into place.

I forgot.

Probably just as well. Health & Safety would do you for the ensuing
two lines of fire down the highway, assuming they could follow you
into the future...

They'd wait and catch him on the way back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Al Reynolds wrote:
On 11 August 2004, "Al Reynolds" wrote:
Sorry this is off-topic, but I read and post to these groups
fairly regularly, and I thought there were bound to be some
other sad folk like me who look out for particular odometer
readings (e.g. 654321, 111111, 123456 etc.)

snip

I was in a friends car when the digits on the odo clicked to 100000. She
was so excited that she pointed through the steering wheel at them.

Too bad that we were turning right at the time, as the wheels
straightened, her arm caught in the steering wheel and she drove, in a
perfect arc, through a traffic island!!!

She wasn't even blonde...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

In article , Al Reynolds
scribeth thus
Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of the wheel
(and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but judging by the
dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the redline and the top speed on
the speedo are too low. Legacy or Imprezzer is a more difficult question!
;-)

Not Subaru either! It is 1997.

Wont be a Mondeo with that number of miles on;(...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:55:50 +0100, "Brimstone"
mused:

Tunku wrote:
Lurch wrote in
:

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:47:24 +0100, "Mat C" mused:

My Car's just done 123456, I spent ages waiting for it, and then
missed the event.. :-( Ruined my day that did...

I know how you feel, I had my car lined up to show 88888 on the
mileage, 888.8 on the trip and I was going to be doing 88 mph when it
all digitally 'clicked' into place.

I forgot.

Probably just as well. Health & Safety would do you for the ensuing
two lines of fire down the highway, assuming they could follow you
into the future...

They'd wait and catch him on the way back.

Ah, but would I come back?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Al Reynolds
scribeth thus
Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of
the wheel (and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but
judging by the dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the
redline and the top speed on the speedo are too low. Legacy or
Imprezzer is a more difficult question! ;-)

Not Subaru either! It is 1997.

Wont be a Mondeo with that number of miles on;(...

Got 121,500 on my Mondeo.... What's yout point?

Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Al Reynolds
scribeth thus
Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of
the wheel (and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but
judging by the dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the
redline and the top speed on the speedo are too low. Legacy or
Imprezzer is a more difficult question! ;-)

Not Subaru either! It is 1997.

Wont be a Mondeo with that number of miles on;(...

Got 121,500 on my Mondeo.... What's yout point?

That it won't reach 160807 miles???

You could always get back to us IF you reach that milestone......

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

It would actualy be really odd if the numbers on your odometer didn't match
some significant date or combination of numbers sometimes.

One day the lottery numbers will be 1,2,3,4,5,6. in that order - nothing
statistically odd about that, but the papers would be full of it for weeks.

Many people have little knowledge of the laws of probability.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
It would actualy be really odd if the numbers on your odometer didn't
match some significant date or combination of numbers sometimes.

One day the lottery numbers will be 1,2,3,4,5,6. in that order - nothing
statistically odd about that, but the papers would be full of it for
weeks.

Many people have little knowledge of the laws of probability.

What's the probability that a randomly selected person would have little
knowledge of the laws of probability?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

In article , 'Nel'
scribeth thus

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Al Reynolds
scribeth thus
Subaru obviously... having the indicators on the correct side of
the wheel (and the mileage) would date it to probably pre 2000, but
judging by the dash layout - after 1996. Non turbo since the
redline and the top speed on the speedo are too low. Legacy or
Imprezzer is a more difficult question! ;-)

Not Subaru either! It is 1997.

Wont be a Mondeo with that number of miles on;(...

Got 121,500 on my Mondeo.... What's yout point?

That it won't reach 160807 miles???

You could always get back to us IF you reach that milestone......

Just one that cost as much as it was worth to sort the engine out,
only X reg!.

Every MOT it seemed as if it needed a rebuild of something or
other......
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Dave Baker wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
It would actualy be really odd if the numbers on your odometer didn't
match some significant date or combination of numbers sometimes.

One day the lottery numbers will be 1,2,3,4,5,6. in that order -
nothing statistically odd about that, but the papers would be full
of it for weeks.

Many people have little knowledge of the laws of probability.

What's the probability that a randomly selected person would have
little knowledge of the laws of probability?

Person x person x person divided by knowledge x knowledge.

Or very high indeed. I regulary use an effect in my macic act where what
appears too be a 2-1 bet against me, where I am paying even money fleeces
(only in fun) the punter because it's actually a 3-2 freezeout bet in my
favour.

'Gambling Scams' by Darwin Ortiz is the modern seminal work on the subject.
'Scarne on Gambling' by John Scarne is the history.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

[...]

Harrumph!
Was driving my Mk II escort in Liverpool about 15 years ago ..at the time
the car was about 9 years old....
(or thereabouts)
My plate was UKD 92V.
Stopped at the lights and realised the car in front was UKD 93V...was doing
a double take while the car behind me cut inside
to reveal the car behind it was UKD 95V.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Arthur2 wrote:

Harrumph!
Was driving my Mk II escort in Liverpool about 15 years ago ..at the
time the car was about 9 years old....
(or thereabouts)
My plate was UKD 92V.
Stopped at the lights and realised the car in front was UKD 93V...was
doing a double take while the car behind me cut inside
to reveal the car behind it was UKD 95V.

My Kangoo van is NA03 LHD. I were having a bacon roll at a local burger van
& a lorry driver told me he had a Renault reg NA02 LHD.

But as I said, statistically it isn't unlikely.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving

Harrumph!
Was driving my Mk II escort in Liverpool about 15 years ago ..at the time
the car was about 9 years old....
(or thereabouts)
My plate was UKD 92V.
Stopped at the lights and realised the car in front was UKD 93V...was doing
a double take while the car behind me cut inside
to reveal the car behind it was UKD 95V.

Arthur

Any on ng Statisticians around, probability of that happening please!?...
--
Tony Sayer

ESR readings Mike Electronics Repair 9 December 3rd 06 06:46 PM
OT - Faulty odometer reading - 05 Buick BW Metalworking 21 July 26th 05 09:12 AM
gas meter readings dave UK diy 7 January 18th 05 12:58 PM
odometer reprogram turtle Electronics Repair 6 July 20th 03 04:08 AM