turtle

Default odometer reprogram

Perhaps I should explain why....... My original odometer failed and I have
a replacement unit with more milage on it than my failed unit.... therfore
I wish to reprogram the odometer to match my original milage

Cheers

"Gary Tait" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:42:26 +1000, "turtle"
wrote:

Is there anyone in Australia that can reprogram a Suzuki Hayabusa

odometer.

If not.... does anyone have any advice on how I can get this done?

I have dismantled the speedo cluster and have noticed 4 IC's in total.

The
smallest one has 8 pins and has the following numbers on it 945B 924,

would
this be the eeprom which stores the milage?

Please... any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Doing that would be illegal in many places.

William R. Walsh

Hi!

I'm sure it is perfectly possible, but I don't know if any "difficult to
tamper with odometer ICs" (do you like my description? ;-) ) exist or not.

My guess is that if you can find out what it is and somehow read its
contents...then you can change it.

As least as far as the US is concerned (as per what's found in many
automobile manuals) you CAN legally reprogram a replacement odometer to the
mileage of the old one if it's known. If not, then the new odometer is set
at zeroes and a note is placed on the door stating the last known original
mileage or that the odometer was replaced and does not represent actual
mileage.

Beyond a point I don't even think it really matters...most of my vehicles
that have been 100K miles or have odometers that are reading accurately but
in excess of their mechanical limits. I only know the actual mileage of one
of them because I have owned that vehicle since it was new...

I have one that tried rolling over all of its digits to reflect another
100K miles and it has been stuck with the numbers visibly "popping" and
clicking ever since....I guess something inside broke...

William

Jeff

Same reply.
But call and ask first.
Kinda screws with the idea of junkyard parts replacement
on some items nowadays?
Jeff

u...

wrote:

Is there anyone in Australia that can reprogram a Suzuki Hayabusa

odometer.

If not.... does anyone have any advice on how I can get this done?

I have dismantled the speedo cluster and have noticed 4 IC's in total.

The
smallest one has 8 pins and has the following numbers on it 945B 924,

would
this be the eeprom which stores the milage?

Please... any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Doing that would be illegal in many places.

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I guess you could chance swapping the memory IC.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT

"Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny." -F.Z.

Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:09:15 +1000, "turtle"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Perhaps I should explain why....... My original odometer failed and I have
a replacement unit with more milage on it than my failed unit.... therfore
I wish to reprogram the odometer to match my original milage

Swap the EEPROMs. The 8-pin IC sounds like the most likely candidate.
Can you determine its pinouts, ie which pins connect to Vcc, Ground,
Clock, Data, etc?

Cheers

.. .
wrote:

Is there anyone in Australia that can reprogram a Suzuki Hayabusa

odometer.

If not.... does anyone have any advice on how I can get this done?

I have dismantled the speedo cluster and have noticed 4 IC's in total.

The
smallest one has 8 pins and has the following numbers on it 945B 924,

would
this be the eeprom which stores the milage?

Please... any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Doing that would be illegal in many places.

- Franc Zabkar
Jim Adney

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:09:00 GMT "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:

I have one that tried rolling over all of its digits to reflect another
100K miles and it has been stuck with the numbers visibly "popping" and
clicking ever since....I guess something inside broke...

Sounds like a VDO odometer from an early 70s VW. If so, I can fix
these. Actually I can fix this common fault on any early 70s VW, but I
most commonly work on VWs.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA