Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Rip Off Gas Bottle

So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

Local garage had no stock at all, so off to B&Q. Only place locally open at
that time in the evening.

They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down a
£29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me
£14.

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right? Or just another B&Q rip off?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting

for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

Local garage had no stock at all, so off to B&Q. Only place locally open

at
that time in the evening.

They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down

£29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me
£14.

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right? Or just another B&Q rip off?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Oh dear you do see to run into a lot of difficulties.

ps buy a set of digital bathroom scales that does Kilo's ...that way net
time you are thinking of having a barbie you can way the bottle and
determine wether you need a refill or not. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Oh dear you do see to run into a lot of difficulties.

ps buy a set of digital bathroom scales that does Kilo's ...that way
net time you are thinking of having a barbie you can way the bottle
and determine wether you need a refill or not. :-)

When I 'net' have a barbie (which we do several times a week weather
permitting) I'll get the bathroom scales and 'way' the bottle to determine
'wether' I need one or not.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

When I 'net' have a barbie (which we do several times a week weather
permitting) I'll get the bathroom scales and 'way' the bottle to determine
'wether' I need one or not.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Hah! you've noticed e sticky keys. :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-14 23:58:09 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

Local garage had no stock at all, so off to B&Q. Only place locally open at
that time in the evening.

They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down a
£29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me
£14.

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right? Or just another B&Q rip off?

It doesn't really matter.

They had the product.

You wanted it. Desperately.

This is called a distress purchase.

The details are irrelevant.

Your want of the product was sufficient that you were willing to pay
the price asked because this was less of a problem than disappointing
your guests.

B&Q haven't ripped you off. You chose to buy on their terms because
you wanted the product. more than you were disappointed about the price
paid.

It's pointless worrying about it now because the problem was solved and
presumably your visitors were happy. B&Q helped to make that happen at
a price that you were willing to pay; therefore everybody walked away
happy from the deal. This is the same as saying that you will still
love the girl in the morning but being less sure when the sun rises.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Aug, 23:58, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

"the" gas cylinder? Call yourself a handyman and you only have one
source of fiery heat to hand?

Where's your brazing / soldering rig?

Where's your oxygen cylinder? (lights charcoal to cookable in under a
minute)

Where's your stick welder, and a quickly constructed woodstove?

Baden Powell wouldn't approve....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

"the" gas cylinder? Call yourself a handyman and you only have one
source of fiery heat to hand?

Where's your brazing / soldering rig?

Where's your oxygen cylinder? (lights charcoal to cookable in under a
minute)

Where's your stick welder, and a quickly constructed woodstove?

Baden Powell wouldn't approve....

You forgot the hot air gun ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

"the" gas cylinder? Call yourself a handyman and you only have one
source of fiery heat to hand?

Where's your brazing / soldering rig?

Where's your oxygen cylinder? (lights charcoal to cookable in under a
minute)

Where's your stick welder, and a quickly constructed woodstove?

You can't weld sausages (or can you?) :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

Local garage had no stock at all, so off to B&Q. Only place locally open at
that time in the evening.

They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down a
£29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me
£14.

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right? Or just another B&Q rip off?

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Serves you right for cheating and using gas. real men use charcoal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

Serves you right for cheating and using gas. real men use charcoal.

It blocks the gas jets too easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
Serves you right for cheating and using gas. real men use charcoal.

Seconded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-15 13:14:31 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:
So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

"the" gas cylinder? Call yourself a handyman and you only have one
source of fiery heat to hand?

Where's your brazing / soldering rig?

Where's your oxygen cylinder? (lights charcoal to cookable in under a
minute)

Where's your stick welder, and a quickly constructed woodstove?

You can't weld sausages (or can you?) :-)

Didldi ones you probably can ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:14:31 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

You can't weld sausages (or can you?) :-)

I have plasma-cut sausages.....

Cheap barbecue leftovers, in an old welding glove. One day I _will_
run the thing across my hand, and I wanted to know just how much damage
to expect beforehand.

(it's pretty safe really)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people
waiting for food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

"the" gas cylinder? Call yourself a handyman and you only have one
source of fiery heat to hand?

Where's your brazing / soldering rig?

Where's your oxygen cylinder? (lights charcoal to cookable in under a
minute)

Where's your stick welder, and a quickly constructed woodstove?

Leave off. My PLI doesn't even cover me for a blowlamp indoors!

Baden Powell wouldn't approve....

Dib dib dob...........

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

Local garage had no stock at all, so off to B&Q. Only place locally open at
that time in the evening.

They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down a
£29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me
£14.

I buy 15kg bottles at £12.50 (and I thought that was a rip off) from the
place round the corner from me

As for deposit, last time I asked for an extra bottle, they just charged
be for the refill, no deposit

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Baden Powell wouldn't approve....

Dib dib dob...........

Hmm, had to help out at cubs centenary camp a month or so ago, with eldest
offspring.

One other Dad had brought along copy of original 18-oatcake copy of
'Scouting for Boys', almost hand-written by B.P. himself. Some amusing
reading to be had.

A section was devoted to 'How a Scout behaves' or similar. It went on to
describe various vices, such as 'A Scout does not smoke blah blah..' and 'A
Scout does not drink blah blah..' It then went on to say something like
'And of the vice which we shall call Beastliness ( which is what matron at
your school calls it ) , we shall say no more than 'a scout does not do
it'. Should you feel the urge to Beastliness come upon you, then a cold
shower is what you need. Should you still feel a need to Beastliness, then I
urge you to consult your Scout Master'.

Yes, indeed...

Another amusing item indicated BPs inclination to phrenology. 'How to
recognise the "wrong sorts".' This shows a couple of drawings of
individuals, to indicate who is the 'right sort' and who is not. The
'Wrong Sort' had an amusing drawing of a slouch-shouldered individual in
scrufy clothes, smoking a cigarette, with eyebrows joined and a head-shape
like an ape. The 'Right Sort' stood bolt upright wearing a smart blazer,
foot on a ball having obviously just won the cup, with a chinless wonder
skull type.

It took the edge off an uncomfortable couple of nights...

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , raden
writes
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for
food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

Local garage had no stock at all, so off to B&Q. Only place locally open at
that time in the evening.

They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down a
£29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me
£14.

I buy 15kg bottles at £12.50 (and I thought that was a rip off) from
the place round the corner from me

As for deposit, last time I asked for an extra bottle, they just
charged be for the refill, no deposit

I think the deposit was because the OP was buying a different size
cylinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman wrote:
They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down a
£29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me
£14.

They didn't take your ID card number and check your photographic ID while they
were at it?

Large gas cylinders were used in the recent London and Glasgow bombing attempts
(according to early news reports), presumably to provide additional oomph to
the desired explosions.

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right? Or just another B&Q rip off?

Anti-terror laws would probably make B&Q numpty right, though maybe for the
wrong reasons. There's also been a gradual shift over the last couple of
decades from a nearly pure butane mix (boiling point 0.5 deg.C) to a mix with
considerable propane in it (boiling point down in the minus 30s), at least in
camping supplies. Obvious differences in winter use. I can't put a more
accurate date on it, because I use a paraffin (Optimus) stove. Bloody hard to
find paraffin these days.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:58:09 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right?

Maybe that B&Q are phasing out butane in favour of the rip off (ie bigger
profit margin) "patio gas"?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:58:09 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right?

Maybe that B&Q are phasing out butane in favour of the rip off (ie bigger
profit margin) "patio gas"?

Thought I would ask my local independant Ironmongers. They confirmed
to me that "butane" is being phased out. So any new BBQ's need to have
the "red" adaptor fitted in order to use patio gas. As I am about to
buy a new BBQ ( my previous one was stolen !!) I am now confused as
all the ones on sale appear to be butane.

Think I will just wait and see

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PPPPPP - Prior Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Oh dear you do see to run into a lot of difficulties.

ps buy a set of digital bathroom scales that does Kilo's ...that way
net time you are thinking of having a barbie you can way the bottle
and determine wether you need a refill or not. :-)

When I 'net' have a barbie (which we do several times a week weather
permitting) I'll get the bathroom scales and 'way' the bottle to determine
'wether' I need one or not.

Using 'quotation marks' in that way, is a sign of paranoia, as is, the use
of unnecessary commas! - either that, or you work for the BBC, writing stuff
for their website and it's force of habit.

So, there!

If you're highlighting someone's written mistake, the correct method is to
put (sic) after the word. It's shots for sicut, which means correct, in this
context, indicated that you are quoting the other person's erroneous
spelling accurately.

P. Dantic

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-14 23:58:09 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Defending big business at all cost by means of spurious excuses and jargon,
eh? - then trying to condition teh complainant not to complain by means of a
whole heap of pretentious, patronising and twee coillons!

Must be one of these damned Freemason BOAZos!!

/\
/ \
/ I \
/_____\

Yes folks! It's the All Seeing 'I'
- so watch it!! - invented by a Knight
Templar called Sir Viellance!

Or seeing as it's gas we're talking about, praps The All-Smelling Nose might
be more appropriate!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-18 02:11:00 +0100, "nemo" said:

Defending big business at all cost by means of spurious excuses and jargon,
eh? - then trying to condition teh complainant not to complain by means of a
whole heap of pretentious, patronising and twee coillons!

Must be one of these damned Freemason BOAZos!!

/\
/ \
/ I \
/_____\

Yes folks! It's the All Seeing 'I'
- so watch it!! - invented by a Knight
Templar called Sir Viellance!

Or seeing as it's gas we're talking about, praps The All-Smelling Nose might
be more appropriate!

When is it that the new primary school term begins?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "nemo"
saying something like:

Yes folks! It's the All Seeing 'I'
- so watch it!! - invented by a Knight
Templar called Sir Viellance!

Are you mad? I ask merely out of curiousity.
--

Dave

Bottle imp Sheila Dougall Woodturning 13 December 19th 05 05:00 PM
Gloves In A Bottle? Swingman Woodworking 20 November 24th 05 06:15 PM
Bottle Tap Mark Metalworking 17 June 3rd 05 07:16 PM
old calor bottle :::Jerry:::: UK diy 9 January 27th 05 01:23 AM
CO2 bottle .. Grant Erwin Metalworking 24 November 23rd 03 12:40 AM