Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe Ron Lowe is offline

Default B&Q Rip Off Gas Bottle

Baden Powell wouldn't approve....

Dib dib dob...........

Hmm, had to help out at cubs centenary camp a month or so ago, with eldest
offspring.

One other Dad had brought along copy of original 18-oatcake copy of
'Scouting for Boys', almost hand-written by B.P. himself. Some amusing
reading to be had.

A section was devoted to 'How a Scout behaves' or similar. It went on to
describe various vices, such as 'A Scout does not smoke blah blah..' and 'A
Scout does not drink blah blah..' It then went on to say something like
'And of the vice which we shall call Beastliness ( which is what matron at
your school calls it ) , we shall say no more than 'a scout does not do
it'. Should you feel the urge to Beastliness come upon you, then a cold
shower is what you need. Should you still feel a need to Beastliness, then I
urge you to consult your Scout Master'.

Yes, indeed...

Another amusing item indicated BPs inclination to phrenology. 'How to
recognise the "wrong sorts".' This shows a couple of drawings of
individuals, to indicate who is the 'right sort' and who is not. The
'Wrong Sort' had an amusing drawing of a slouch-shouldered individual in
scrufy clothes, smoking a cigarette, with eyebrows joined and a head-shape
like an ape. The 'Right Sort' stood bolt upright wearing a smart blazer,
foot on a ball having obviously just won the cup, with a chinless wonder
skull type.

It took the edge off an uncomfortable couple of nights...

--
Ron