Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Sheila Dougall

Default Bottle imp

Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you point me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried Google
and Jeeves without success.

Tom

Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk

[quote=Sheila Dougall]Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you point me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried Google
and Jeeves without success.

Can you help us out by telling usa what a bottle imp is then we may be able to provide you with some plans or a link
Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BillR

Is this a little wooden bottle that lies on its side when you place on a
surface but stand upright when other do it?

"Sheila Dougall" wrote in message
Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you point

me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried

Google
and Jeeves without success.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Van Der Loo

Sniperborg I think we're talking genie in a bottle G

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Sniperborg wrote:
Sheila Dougall Wrote:

Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you point
me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried
Google
and Jeeves without success.

Can you help us out by telling usa what a bottle imp is then we may be
able to provide you with some plans or a link
Mark

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

"Sheila Dougall" wrote in message
Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you point
me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried
Google
and Jeeves without success.

Tom

====You can't make one, you have to buy the bottle that the imp comes in!
Be careful what you wish for, and may you never buy it! Cf:
http://gaslight.mtroyal.ca/bottlimp.htm

Leif

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom D

A bottle imp is a small wooden bottle that springs upright when you lay it
down. When you secretly push a small metal rod in it it then stays down.
I would like to make one for my grand daughter.

Tom.

"Sheila Dougall" wrote in message
Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you point

me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried

Google
and Jeeves without success.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BillR

Sheila,

How to make a bottle imp is described in David Springett's book 'Woodturning
Trickery'. Try the library. ISBN 0 9517157 6 3.

Not easy to describe in words but if you can't find a copy I will try.

BillR

"Tom D" wrote in message
A bottle imp is a small wooden bottle that springs upright when you lay it
down. When you secretly push a small metal rod in it it then stays down.
I would like to make one for my grand daughter.

Tom.

"Sheila Dougall" wrote in message
Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you point

me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried

Google
and Jeeves without success.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

"Tom D" wrote in message
A bottle imp is a small wooden bottle that springs upright when you lay it
down. When you secretly push a small metal rod in it it then stays down.
I would like to make one for my grand daughter.

Tom.

"Sheila Dougall" wrote in message
Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you point

me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried

Google
and Jeeves without success.

Tom

====Read my post about the consequences of messing around with bottle imps
before you start to cultivate one!! *G*

Leif

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom D

"BillR" wrote in message
Sheila,

How to make a bottle imp is described in David Springett's book

'Woodturning
Trickery'. Try the library. ISBN 0 9517157 6 3.

Not easy to describe in words but if you can't find a copy I will try.

BillR

I actually saw dave Springett demonstrate the bottle imp at our

woodturning
club meeting. His book was on sale at the meeting but I didn't buy it,
thinking I could always get it later and bought wood instead.

I have tried several bookstores where I live. ( Nottingham) but they didn't
have it, neither does our local library or the central library.

I have made one which I thought was close to the one I saw Dave make, but it
would not even stand up, and it layed on its side all the time. Any help
or tips you can give me would me most appreciated.

Yours sincerely

Tom
"Tom D" wrote in message
A bottle imp is a small wooden bottle that springs upright when you lay

it
down. When you secretly push a small metal rod in it it then stays

down.
I would like to make one for my grand daughter.

Tom.

"Sheila Dougall" wrote in message
Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you

point
me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried

Google
and Jeeves without success.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BillR

I'll do my to describe it.

The whole bottle is 65mm high and 40mm at its largest diameter. The bottom
20mm is turned to a hemisphere and the top 45mm is shaped with a convex
curve into a long necked bottle.

Cut a hole 15mm diam x 6mm in the bottom and fill with molten solder. This
will make it stand up.

Drill a hole 20mm deep x 4.5mm diam down the neck. This is to take a cut
length of a 4" nail.

To do the trick have the length of nail down to neck of the bottle and
carefully lay the bottle on its side. If the balance is right the bottle
will stay on its side. Pick the bottle up by its neck and hand it to your
victim with the base upwards letting the nail drop into your hand.

The bottle will no longer lay down as there is no counter balance to the
weight in the base.

Collect your money from the bet.

Good luck

BillR

"Tom D" wrote in message
A bottle imp is a small wooden bottle that springs upright when you

lay
it
down. When you secretly push a small metal rod in it it then stays

down.
I would like to make one for my grand daughter.

Tom.

"Sheila Dougall" wrote in message
Does anyone have instructions for making a "bottle imp" or can you

point
me
in the right direction to download from the internet. I have tried
Google
and Jeeves without success.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom D

"BillR" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Bill,
Very clear and concise instructions, will make it in the next few days and
let you know the result.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom D

"BillR" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Bill, made one today and gave it to grand daughter it works
perfectly. Grand daughter insisted on going to shed and making one
herself, she then gave me mine back claiming hers was better.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:06:08 -0000, "BillR" wrote:

[...]

Great description...

Sounds like a great way to get your ass kicked in the local bar..
"what nail in my hand" POW!!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Loose bottle cage mounts Mark UK diy 3 November 25th 05 09:28 AM
newb's adventures in bottle stopper turning (too long) Shawn Wilson Woodturning 0 December 14th 04 12:43 AM
Critical difference between CGA-320 and CGA-326 bottle valves? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 2 September 1st 04 05:06 PM
Modifying a bottle jack for press use Gunner Metalworking 24 March 1st 04 03:28 AM