Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan Karley Aidan Karley is offline

Default B&Q Rip Off Gas Bottle

In article , The Medway Handyman wrote:
They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down a
£29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me
£14.

They didn't take your ID card number and check your photographic ID while they
were at it?

Large gas cylinders were used in the recent London and Glasgow bombing attempts
(according to early news reports), presumably to provide additional oomph to
the desired explosions.

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right? Or just another B&Q rip off?

Anti-terror laws would probably make B&Q numpty right, though maybe for the
wrong reasons. There's also been a gradual shift over the last couple of
decades from a nearly pure butane mix (boiling point 0.5 deg.C) to a mix with
considerable propane in it (boiling point down in the minus 30s), at least in
camping supplies. Obvious differences in winter use. I can't put a more
accurate date on it, because I use a paraffin (Optimus) stove. Bloody hard to
find paraffin these days.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland