Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving Vista license from one machine to another ????

Guys,
Got the Visa Ultimate retail and gonna install it on my existing (aging) P4
system with 1 gig RAM. However, in a few months I will want to move the
Vista license onto my new build PC - a Intel Quad core. How do I move the
software license from the old to the new machine ? If I activate whilst its
still on my old machine then the activation server will not allow the
activation on the new machine .... ????? If I uninstall from the old
machine, does some tool go to the activation server and say that the
software has been removed and is avilable to be legally installed elsewhere?

How does this work please?

Thanks, Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-03 14:59:15 +0100, "Kaiser Sose" said:

Guys,
Got the Visa Ultimate retail and gonna install it on my existing (aging) P4
system with 1 gig RAM. However, in a few months I will want to move the
Vista license onto my new build PC - a Intel Quad core. How do I move the
software license from the old to the new machine ? If I activate whilst its
still on my old machine then the activation server will not allow the
activation on the new machine .... ????? If I uninstall from the old
machine, does some tool go to the activation server and say that the
software has been removed and is avilable to be legally installed elsewhere?

How does this work please?

Thanks, Steve

The ideal thing to do is to throw the whole thing away and to buy a Mac.

The next best thing, if you want to keep the hardware is to install
Linux on the hardware.

Anything involving Microsoft is a waste of time and a money sink.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

"Kaiser Sose" wrote in message
Guys,
Got the Visa Ultimate retail and gonna install it on my existing (aging)
P4
system with 1 gig RAM. However, in a few months I will want to move the
Vista license onto my new build PC - a Intel Quad core. How do I move
the
software license from the old to the new machine ? If I activate whilst
its
still on my old machine then the activation server will not allow the
activation on the new machine .... ????? If I uninstall from the old
machine, does some tool go to the activation server and say that the
software has been removed and is avilable to be legally installed
elsewhere?

How does this work please?

Thanks, Steve

You'll have to activate by phone within 30 days of installing. Just tell the
call-centre person what you've done and that Vista has been uninstalled from
the old system. They will generate a new activation code for you. It's the
same if you upgrade a PC enough to trigger the activation process; I did
this lots of times in a previous job and it's very straightforward.

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kaiser Sose wrote:
Guys,
Got the Visa Ultimate retail and gonna install it on my existing
(aging) P4 system with 1 gig RAM. However, in a few months I will
want to move the Vista license onto my new build PC - a Intel Quad
core. How do I move the software license from the old to the new
machine ? If I activate whilst its still on my old machine then the
activation server will not allow the activation on the new machine
.... ????? If I uninstall from the old machine, does some tool go to
the activation server and say that the software has been removed and
is avilable to be legally installed elsewhere?
How does this work please?

Thanks, Steve

When you try to activate the second machine you will be told that the key is already in use.
There will be a phone number you have to ring to talk to a call center in India
Explain that you have transfered the software to another machine.
They should accept this and give you another key.
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Agreed, and I am very happy with my Ubuntu Linux distribution.
Unfortunately many critical applications like the CCTV system for my home
are developed on top of Windows, whether we like it or not. He nce my post
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Kaiser Sose
writes
Agreed, and I am very happy with my Ubuntu Linux distribution.
Unfortunately many critical applications like the CCTV system for my home
are developed on top of Windows, whether we like it or not. He nce my post
Steve

You can get Linux DVR software that supports lots of cards. Zoneminder
is one...
--
Clint Sharp

Moving washing machine Simon UK diy 3 February 21st 06 11:33 AM
Have a question regarding moving a washer machine or dryer blauter78 Home Repair 7 December 29th 05 10:39 PM
Machine moving roller skates Jim Dincau Metalworking 1 November 14th 05 03:53 PM
Machine moving skates Jim Dincau Metalworking 9 September 21st 05 02:22 AM
Moving Dishwasher and Washing Machine Bill UK diy 12 June 11th 04 12:47 AM