Jim Dincau

Default Machine moving skates

When my mill was delivered the crew used 4 small object that I can only
describe as skates. They were made of a steel angle with two axles on the
bottom with ball bearings for wheels. used a pinch bar to lift the mill
about an inch and slipped two in on one side then two on the other. Rolled
that puppy across the shop floor smooth and easy. A big advantage was the
machine only had to be lifted an inch or so to get them under. Does anyone
know who sells these?
Jim

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Jim Dincau" wrote in message
When my mill was delivered the crew used 4 small object that I can only
describe as skates. They were made of a steel angle with two axles on the
bottom with ball bearings for wheels. used a pinch bar to lift the mill
about an inch and slipped two in on one side then two on the other. Rolled
that puppy across the shop floor smooth and easy. A big advantage was the
machine only had to be lifted an inch or so to get them under. Does anyone
know who sells these?
Jim

Pert' much everybody who deals in equipment. They're called "roller
dollies" or "roller-track dollies", depending upon the design. McMaster
carries them, among others.

LLoyd

Grant Erwin

Jim Dincau wrote:

When my mill was delivered the crew used 4 small object that I can only
describe as skates. They were made of a steel angle with two axles on the
bottom with ball bearings for wheels. used a pinch bar to lift the mill
about an inch and slipped two in on one side then two on the other. Rolled
that puppy across the shop floor smooth and easy. A big advantage was the
machine only had to be lifted an inch or so to get them under. Does anyone
know who sells these?

Aw c'mon, Jim. Make some! They're easy .. I did, got the 6" casters from
cheapcasters.com, can post my design if you want.

GWE
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:02:57 -0700, "Jim Dincau"
wrote:

When my mill was delivered the crew used 4 small object that I can only
describe as skates. They were made of a steel angle with two axles on the
bottom with ball bearings for wheels. used a pinch bar to lift the mill
about an inch and slipped two in on one side then two on the other. Rolled
that puppy across the shop floor smooth and easy. A big advantage was the
machine only had to be lifted an inch or so to get them under. Does anyone
know who sells these?
Jim

Leigh at MarMachine makes very very nice ones

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Jim Dincau

I am, I just didn't remember how big the bearings were. These were ball
bearings with the outer races running on the floor not casters.
Jim

Aw c'mon, Jim. Make some! They're easy .. I did, got the 6" casters from
cheapcasters.com, can post my design if you want.

GWE

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:02:35 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

Jim Dincau wrote:

When my mill was delivered the crew used 4 small object that I can only
describe as skates. They were made of a steel angle with two axles on the
bottom with ball bearings for wheels. used a pinch bar to lift the mill
about an inch and slipped two in on one side then two on the other. Rolled
that puppy across the shop floor smooth and easy. A big advantage was the
machine only had to be lifted an inch or so to get them under. Does anyone
know who sells these?

Aw c'mon, Jim. Make some! They're easy .. I did, got the 6" casters from
cheapcasters.com, can post my design if you want.

Yeah, Grant. Please toss the design up in the dropbox.

-=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards
-=including moderation.=- http://www.diversify.com
Grant Erwin

It's just a concept drawing, I made it from I-beam because I had a bunch of
scrap. Hopefully you'll get the idea.
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/machrollers.pdf

Grant

Jim Dincau wrote:

When my mill was delivered the crew used 4 small object that I can only
describe as skates. They were made of a steel angle with two axles on the
bottom with ball bearings for wheels. used a pinch bar to lift the mill
about an inch and slipped two in on one side then two on the other. Rolled
that puppy across the shop floor smooth and easy. A big advantage was the
machine only had to be lifted an inch or so to get them under. Does anyone
know who sells these?

Aw c'mon, Jim. Make some! They're easy .. I did, got the 6" casters from
cheapcasters.com, can post my design if you want.

Yeah, Grant. Please toss the design up in the dropbox.

-=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards
-=including moderation.=- http://www.diversify.com

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:24:00 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

It's just a concept drawing, I made it from I-beam because I had a bunch of
scrap. Hopefully you'll get the idea.

I sure wish you had shown a third view. Those two leave me cold.
What/where are the rollers, what slides under the machine, etc?!?

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/machrollers.pdf

Which view is which? Is the upper view the end view, with the casters
the bottom pieces, one to each side (with no connecting bolts shown)?
If so, that makes the thing over a foot tall. (Doesn't work for me.)

I can almost decipher it several ways, none of which works out
logically. I can usually grok simple drawings easily enough to
actually build something from them, even undimensioned drawings. But
there doesn't seem to be enough info in yours to do that.

More info, please!

-=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards
-=including moderation.=- http://www.diversify.com
Grant Erwin

Sorry, it ain't a blueprint, that's for sure. Try this, these are the skates I
copied with a slight redesign:
http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/shop/mover.htm

GWE

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:47:18 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

damnedtoppostingcorrectedyalazybutthead

Larry Jaques wrote:
I sure wish you had shown a third view. Those two leave me cold.
What/where are the rollers, what slides under the machine, etc?!?

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/machrollers.pdf

Sorry, it ain't a blueprint, that's for sure. Try this, these are the skates I
copied with a slight redesign:
http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/shop/mover.htm

OhhhhhK. The top is a "front" view and the bottom a "side" view with
just plain ol' rectangles for casters. Got it. That one detail
omission made a real difference. Also, I was thinking "side-mount"
while you built front/rear mounts.