Posted to alt.home.repair
blauter78

Default Have a question regarding moving a washer machine or dryer

Hi Everyone. Here is my dilema. Just recently bought a house which has
hookups for both washer and dryer. I hooked both up and was on my way.
The issue now is that the washer and sink is on the left side of the
basement walk out door connected to the main water drain and the dryer
is on the right side. This was all fine until now when I decided to
start finishing the basement. I would like these two appliances in the
same location so I can partition a laundry area. Preferably I would
like to move the washer/sink to the right side of the door with the
dryer. Is that possible? Would I need to used a sump pump to move the
water up and over the door frame?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.. Im stumped.

Thanks!
Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

blauter78 wrote:
Hi Everyone. Here is my dilema. Just recently bought a house which has
hookups for both washer and dryer. I hooked both up and was on my way.
The issue now is that the washer and sink is on the left side of the
basement walk out door connected to the main water drain and the dryer
is on the right side. This was all fine until now when I decided to
start finishing the basement. I would like these two appliances in the
same location so I can partition a laundry area. Preferably I would
like to move the washer/sink to the right side of the door with the
dryer. Is that possible? Would I need to used a sump pump to move the
water up and over the door frame?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.. Im stumped.

I betcha it's going to be easier to re-locate the washer than the sink.

The washer water is connected by hoses, you simply get longer hoses. Also,
the washer has a drain pump that may very well be powerful enough to pump
through an extended hose to the drain. All it costs to find out is the cost
of the hoses. Try it and see.

Report back.

Posted to alt.home.repair
blauter78

I see what your saying. I can definetly give that a try, I was a little
nervous about going up 8 ft then over 10 feet and then back down. Say
the pump isnt powerful enough, do you think the water flowing back to
the washer could pose a threat?

Thanks for the input.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim-Poncin

"blauter78" wrote in message
oups.com...
I see what your saying. I can definetly give that a try, I was a little
nervous about going up 8 ft then over 10 feet and then back down. Say
the pump isnt powerful enough, do you think the water flowing back to
the washer could pose a threat?

Thanks for the input.

I would be reluctant to do that too. Why not run the drain hose along the
floor with a wooden build-up over it that can stepped on or over?

Posted to alt.home.repair
blauter78

I can give it a try. Although I may not like having the buildup in the
doorway, if it works, I will have to live with it.

Thanks

Jim-Poncin wrote:
"blauter78" wrote in message
oups.com...
I see what your saying. I can definetly give that a try, I was a little
nervous about going up 8 ft then over 10 feet and then back down. Say
the pump isnt powerful enough, do you think the water flowing back to
the washer could pose a threat?

Thanks for the input.

I would be reluctant to do that too. Why not run the drain hose along the
floor with a wooden build-up over it that can stepped on or over?

Posted to alt.home.repair

One thing to keep in mind - some washing machine instructions say that
the drain hose has to hook over something at least as high as the tub
of the washer. I'm not sure why, but one washer I used stopped working
when I tried to just set the drain hose on the floor next to the drain
- once I hooked the hose up and into the laundry sink, it worked fine.
Possibly to prevent siphoning back into the tub? So maybe after you
run the drain hose along the ground, it could then hook up into the
sink or wherever the drain was before.
Good luck and report back on what works.
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

Possibly to prevent siphoning back into the tub?

Maybe water will just keep running out since there is no "hill" to get
over.

So maybe after you
run the drain hose along the ground, it could then hook up into the
sink or wherever the drain was before.

I think you can pretty much count on the need for the hose to ulimately
rise up about 3' to a drain standpipe or sink for this to work right.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2005-12-29, blauter78 wrote:

The issue now is that the washer and sink is on the left side of the
basement walk out door connected to the main water drain and the dryer
is on the right side.

So you are considering either (1) moving both a sink and a washing
machine hookup or (2) moving a dryer? Option (2) is much easier.

Cheers, Wayne