Jeff Dantzler

Default Crush washer orientation question

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

OR

B) Cone part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

AND Why...?

It is for an oil drain plug on a motorcycle.

Cheers - Jeff Dantzler

A or B
It really doesn't matter.
Why would it matter ?

Tim Morrow

Jeff Dantzler wrote:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

OR

B) Cone part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

AND Why...?

It is for an oil drain plug on a motorcycle.

Cheers - Jeff Dantzler

Jeff, I've never seen a crush washer in that shape before. Have you offered it
up to the drain plug hole in the crankcase to see if it snuggles into the edges
of the hole at all - in either orientation?

My basic instinct would be flat side to crankcase and cone side to the bolt, so
that as the bolt is tightened, the crushing of the cone applies pressure to the
flat "sealing" side of the washer. But that's not meant to be a definitive
answer.

Maybe someone out there has dealt with that particular type of crush washer in
the past.

Tim
mjt

(Jeff Dantzler ) scribbled:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

OR

B) Cone part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

.... i love how both photos put the washer "in the shadows"

--
http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com (Modern English - Someone's Calling)
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
Odinn

Jeff Dantzler wrote:
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

OR

B) Cone part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

AND Why...?

It is for an oil drain plug on a motorcycle.

Cheers - Jeff Dantzler

B) you can't crush it if you're on the low side.

--
Odinn

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so."
-- Bertrand Russell

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Ron DeBlock

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:14:43 +0000, Jeff Dantzler wrote:

What is the correct orientation?

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

OR

B) Cone part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

AND Why...?

B, because that's the way the old one was installed on my car when I did
my first oil change, and it wasn't leaking. It's entirely possible that
it doesn't matter.

What I want to know is if there is any benefit to that style vs. the more
common flat copper, aluminum, or nylon washer.

-Ron
RWL

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:34:01 GMT, Ron DeBlock wrote:

What I want to know is if there is any benefit to that style vs. the more
common flat copper, aluminum, or nylon washer.

.....and is it necessary to replace the crush washer each time you
change oil?

RWL

******* Recreate gaps in email address to reply *******

Yes, A
Yes B,
It really doesn't matter.
Why WOULD it matter ?
It is a seal, one side goes against a bolt head, the other side goes
against (in this case) the oil pan. It is to help prevent oil from
leaking out, BOTH sides have to make a good seal for it to work.

Turby

wrote:

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

You want the crushable part to conform to the oil pan surface.

--
Turby the Turbosurfer

or
becasue it doesn't matter.
It is a seal, it has to seal against the bolt head AND against the oil
pan.

or
It doesn't matter.
As a seal it has to seal against both the oil pan and the bolt head.

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

Jim

Jeff Dantzler wrote:
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

OR

B) Cone part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

AND Why...?

It is for an oil drain plug on a motorcycle.

Cheers - Jeff Dantzler

On my bikes I always have flat part to the bolt and the cone part to the
sump.
Why ? The conical part crushes to the sump plug hole and crushes to seal
any burrs etc in the sump pan. Aliminium, Magnesium etc being softer
than the bolt will distort or burr far more readily than the bolt head
ever will.

HTH
Jim
Mark J

I can't help you with which way to orient the crush washer. Sorry.

But I'm curious as to what kind of bike? And is that a dealer supplied
washer? I maintain a BMW and Ducati that use crush washers on several
drain openings each and all of the crush washers are either flat
aluminum or flat copper. I've never seen a cone shaped washer like
that in any bike application.

Jeff Dantzler

Thanks to all who replied.

The bike is a Suzuki SV650 and the bolt is stock along
with the dealer bought washer.

I have always put the cone down, towards the bolt such that
the flat side of the crush washer faced the drain hole.
The alloy around the drain is faced real pretty like and is
flatter and less irregular than the bolt. There is no flange
that would be complementary to the cone on either mating
surface. I've never had any leaks.

I was just changing the oil yesterday and wondered why was
I doing it this way. Probably because that's what the mechanic
said way back when.

Just thought I'd throw it out and see what people came up with.

I suspect it would work either way because the torque applied
always makes it flat on *both* sides eventually

Thanks.

Jeff

Rayvan

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"
OR
B) Cone part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

Makes no differnce. It won't leak as long as it's crushed...

Don Fearn

Hear ye, here ye Jeff Dantzler doth decla

http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

A) Flat part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

OR

B) Cone part of crush washer against bolt "washer"

Follow the instructions in the service manual.

AND Why...?

Because if it's important, there will be instructions about it there.

pooder was here hoping you have a service manual
--
"We have enough youth; let's start looking for the Fountain of Sense." --Anon
Bobbie the Triple Killer

Jeff Dantzler wrote:
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

There really is no 'correct' sexual orientation.
Live your life that in the manner the brings you the most happiness.

--

R.W.G.

2001 Triumph Sprint RS - R.I.P. ( resting in pieces)
"love the bike, hate the dealer"

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
--Oscar Wilde

--Douglas Adams

Lane

There really is no 'correct' sexual orientation.
Live your life that in the manner the brings you the most happiness.

My wife doesn't agree with this philosophy.

Don Bruder

In article ,
"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote:

There really is no 'correct' sexual orientation.
Live your life that in the manner the brings you the most happiness.

My wife doesn't agree with this philosophy.

Time to get a new wife, methinks...

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:45:59 GMT, the inscrutable Bobbie the Triple
Killer spake:

Jeff Dantzler wrote:
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/bolt2.JPG

What is the correct orientation?

There really is no 'correct' sexual orientation.
Live your life that in the manner the brings you the most happiness.

When I wrenched for a living, I was taught to put the cone up toward
the bolt head and I always did it that way with no leaks. Hundreds
of replacements later, the bolts came with nylon flat washers which
precluded having to think about it.

I believe the theory was that the cone would crush against the root
of the bolt to make a good seal vs. possibly tearing in the oil pan
nut/opening.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance