Bill

Default Moving Dishwasher and Washing Machine

Have just spent a horrendous few hours removing the above from my fitted
kitchen in preparation for new flooring . Trouble is that they are both
boxed in quite tightly and with the worksurface on top there's no way of
getting any lift at the back of the appliances. Given that they're very
heavy there was no option but to just pull and drag but I don't fancy
pushing and heaving to get them back never mind what their square metal feet
are likely to do to my new floor.
I have one of these trolley affairs with a lip but that's only good for lift
at the front of the appliance or when moving the appliance once free. I seem
to remember seeing advertised a set of rollers/ballbearings? (how I wish I
had paid more attention!) for precisely this kind of situation although I
can't imagine how you could remove them from the back of the appliance in a
restricted place to lower the appliance down. Would the likes of B&Q carry
anything that might be of help? Any advice gratefully received. I have a
couple of days to prepare!
Bill

Ian Stirling

Bill nospam@nospam wrote:
Have just spent a horrendous few hours removing the above from my fitted
kitchen in preparation for new flooring . Trouble is that they are both
boxed in quite tightly and with the worksurface on top there's no way of
getting any lift at the back of the appliances. Given that they're very
heavy there was no option but to just pull and drag but I don't fancy
pushing and heaving to get them back never mind what their square metal feet
are likely to do to my new floor.

Sheet of MDF.
Place MDF in front of the washing machine/... space.
Place washing machine on top of the MDF.
Push into place.

IMM

"Bill" nospam@nospam wrote in message
[...]

Many kitchen fitters use a thick spaying of pledge on the floor, and then it
slides in. After spread the pledge and a nice clean floor.

kitchenman

Problem with MDF & washing machine/dishwasher is WATER. It will soon break
down

Try a piece of hardboard instead, pull in out afterwards.

To lift the back of washing machine/dishwasher, simple,

Dishwasher first, open door place hands & forearms in like fork lift, close
door until it presses against forearms, press against door with knees & lean
back, they weigh less than 40Kg so waddle backwards. This does hurt a bit
but it WORKS

Washing machine, open door, reach in & grab drum rim with one hand, place
toes against plinth line of washing machine, place other hand against front
of worktop, pull drum rim towards you while pushing against worktop, the
back of the machine will lift off floor, because the front cant move
forwards

If you had lifted the front of the machine & slid in the piece of hardboard
first, the machine will then slide forward as you shuffle back, until back
feet are over the hardboard, then lower back & pull. Make sure the back of
the hardboard does not sit in top of the rear foot flange, the feet are like
inverted T, if there are wheels at back [washing machine not D/W] no need
for hardboard, BUT watch out for the front of the flooring of the fitters
did not run it right under the machine.

TURN OFF WATER FIRST!!

I still have to do this now & again.
--
regards
dave batter
"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Bill nospam@nospam wrote:
Have just spent a horrendous few hours removing the above from my fitted
kitchen in preparation for new flooring . Trouble is that they are both
boxed in quite tightly and with the worksurface on top there's no way of
getting any lift at the back of the appliances. Given that they're very
heavy there was no option but to just pull and drag but I don't fancy
pushing and heaving to get them back never mind what their square metal

feet
are likely to do to my new floor.

Sheet of MDF.
Place MDF in front of the washing machine/... space.
Place washing machine on top of the MDF.
Push into place.

Cicero

[...]

====================
Have a look at: www.shepherdhardware.com Look in 'Furniture casters /
miscellaneous / appliance rollers'. These are stocked by 'Focus / Do-it-All.

Be warned - they're about an inch high so not much use if you haven't got
some clearance at the top.

Cic.

Ian Stirling

kitchenman wrote:
Problem with MDF & washing machine/dishwasher is WATER. It will soon break
down

Well, yes.

The MDF is only used for the few seconds you are sliding the dishwasher/...
in, to prevent scarring the floor.
John Smith

Bill wrote:
[...]

I just had a new floor layed and the fitter lubricated where the
dishwasher feet would slide with washing up liquid. It then slid in
quite easily.
IMM

"kitchenman" wrote in message
[...]

I have seen hardboard used with pledge under the hardboard and the shiny
side down. Slid in a treat.

dave @ stejonda

[top-post demunged and appropriate quoting formatted]

In message ,
kitchenman writes
"John Smith" wrote in message

I just had a new floor layed and the fitter lubricated where the
dishwasher feet would slide with washing up liquid. It then slid in
quite easily.

After a while the washing up liquid will dry out, then almost weld the
feet to the floor, been there done that too

The fitter of course would be well gone by that time. :-/

Washing-up liquid is used to ease the fitting of foam handlebar covers
on bicycles - that they subsequently stick is an advantage.

--
dave @ stejonda

Bring Performance Channel back to NTL.
http://www.performance-channel.com/
Ring 0800 052 2000

MBQ

[...]

Lift the front edge of the appliance and slide an old blanket under
the front legs. Then pull forward to lift the rear legs and slide out.
Repeat in reverse for refitting.

If you slide enough spare blanket under the front then as you pull the
appliance out the blanket spreads out and you can eventually get the
rear feet on it too. Then it's a doddle to slide it around the room by
just pulling the blanket.

MBQ
Bob Mannix

[...]

The sets of rollers are available from Argos at 8.99ukp per pair. They are
left in situ. They sit just inboard of the feet so don't increase the height
much. When the appliance is pushed back, the front rollers are locked. My
washing machine has been on them for years and they work fine. Argos
catalogue number 841/9356.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Bill

Thanks to all those who replied to my earlier query about moving heavy
fitted kitchen appliances; runners of thin ply well lubricated with Pledge
was indeed the answer and refitting the items then became 'easy peasy'.
Kitchenman - I'm really full of admiration at your technique for lifting
dishwashers but when I tried it I just about severed my forearms, put my
back out, and succeeded in lifting the rear not one bit :-). Your advice was
much appreciated however but I'll either have to practice more or start
taking steroids. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for the heavy stuff.
With thanks again,
Bill