Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default protecting a cable jacket (e.g. with a bigger jacket). But where can I get one?

hi

protecting a cable jacket (e.g. with a bigger jacket). But where can I
get one?

i'm looking to protect a cable from being trodden on. It has a weak
jacket.
I've seen some expensive cord covers , I don't want them.
AC power cords are really strong.. And not too thick. A garden hose is
a bit too big for the house.
I'm thinking of putting the whole cable into a really thick cord like
that.
But where can I get one? I don't want to break a 4 way AC power
adaptor !!

I am thinking of getting a - not sure what to call it - extension
reel? One of those AC extension leads that rolls up. Where can I get
one?

any other ideas or problems with that idea?

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
hi

protecting a cable jacket (e.g. with a bigger jacket). But where can I
get one?

i'm looking to protect a cable from being trodden on. It has a weak
jacket.

Should be something he-

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c.../sleeving.html

I've seen some expensive cord covers , I don't want them.
AC power cords are really strong.. And not too thick. A garden hose is
a bit too big for the house.

I'm thinking of putting the whole cable into a really thick cord like
that.
But where can I get one? I don't want to break a 4 way AC power
adaptor !!

You're thinking of stripping the sheath off a mains flex and using that?
Pretty difficult unless the length is short. You can by mains flex by the
metre at any shed.

I am thinking of getting a - not sure what to call it - extension
reel? One of those AC extension leads that rolls up. Where can I get
one?

Any shed?

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Apr, 08:34, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

hi

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.c...eving/sleeving...

I've seen some expensive cord covers , I don't want them.
AC power cords are really strong.. And not too thick. A garden hose is
a bit too big for the house.
I'm thinking of putting the whole cable into a really thick cord like
that.
But where can I get one? I don't want to break a 4 way AC power
adaptor !!

You're thinking of stripping the sheath off a mains flex and using that?
Pretty difficult unless the length is short. You can by mains flex by the
metre at any shed.

I am thinking of getting a - not sure what to call it - extension
reel? One of those AC extension leads that rolls up. Where can I get
one?

Any shed?

what do you mean? what kind of shop do you mean by a shed? / How
would I find one?

My shed doesn't have it. And i'm not planning on knocking on evey door
in the street asking them to give me mains cable or give me a price
for it. So i'm guessing you refer to a type of shop. I'm hoping for a
type of shop that will be usable in yellow pages or scoot or that kind
of business search service.
e.g. http://www.scoot.co.uk/

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr 2007 21:16:45 -0700, "
mused:

hi

protecting a cable jacket (e.g. with a bigger jacket). But where can I
get one?

i'm looking to protect a cable from being trodden on. It has a weak
jacket.
I've seen some expensive cord covers , I don't want them.
AC power cords are really strong.. And not too thick. A garden hose is
a bit too big for the house.
I'm thinking of putting the whole cable into a really thick cord like
that.
But where can I get one? I don't want to break a 4 way AC power
adaptor !!

I am thinking of getting a - not sure what to call it - extension
reel? One of those AC extension leads that rolls up. Where can I get
one?

any other ideas or problems with that idea?

I haven't a clue what you're on about.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
My shed doesn't have it. And i'm not planning on knocking on evey door
in the street asking them to give me mains cable or give me a price
for it. So i'm guessing you refer to a type of shop. I'm hoping for a
type of shop that will be usable in yellow pages or scoot or that kind
of business search service.
e.g.
http://www.scoot.co.uk/

B&Q or similar, although the B&Q Warehouse here no longer sells cable by
the metre.

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Apr, 14:27, Owain wrote:
wrote:
protecting a cable jacket (e.g. with a bigger jacket). But where can I
get one?
i'm looking to protect a cable from being trodden on. It has a weak
jacket.

What sort of cable? (Mains, speaker, phone, data....)

are you asking because of diameter? i'd like to know what to do with
the different situations, if it was a power cable vs if it was a data
cable.. i'd like to know the ifs like that.. And it's good for the
archives - surely.

It's an Ethernet cable / cat5e.
Therefore-
Data It has no power lines there, I think it's 8 wire, 4 aren't used,
the remaining four are 2 twisted pairs, one for transmit one for
receive.

I've seen some expensive cord covers , I don't want them.
AC power cords are really strong.. And not too thick.

They're still not designed for being trodden on.

sarcasm
no, only run over with a tractor
http://cableorganizer.com/cord-covers/
/sarcasm

think again

I even used the right term, a googlable term. So the product would
come up !
That site also calls them
Cord Covers, Cable Ramps, Cable Protectors , Wire Covers e.t.c.

But as I said, I don't want expensive cord covers.. This idea is much
cheaper.

I am thinking of getting a - not sure what to call it - extension
reel? One of those AC extension leads that rolls up. Where can I get
one?

Tesco. B&Q. Argos. Homebase. Woolworths.

thanks, i'll give those a try

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Apr 2007 15:00:57 -0700, "
mused:

On 15 Apr, 14:27, Owain wrote:
wrote:
[...]

And there was me thinking it couldn't get any more vague and any mor
einto complete ******** by a troll territory.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Apr, 23:05, Lurch wrote:
On 15 Apr 2007 15:00:57 -0700, "
mused:

On 15 Apr, 14:27, Owain wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Anybody can write what you wrote in response to any post.
You're a troll. What you wrote is rubbish e.t.c.

You said that you can't figure out what i'm on about.

If in all your thinking you can't figure out what i'm asking, and you
can't even put your finger on what it is you don't understand of what
I wrote, then maybe you should stop thinking. It doesn't seem to be
doing you or anybody else any good.

Thankfully, everybody here has understood me.

Somebody even defined the word shed for this context - which was also
something I was asking. I'm sorry if all this passes you by. I can't
do anything about that.

An ignoramous - an extreme case of somebody lacking information, can
be provided with information. But an illogical person, a person that
doesn't even understand what he doesn't understand, a person that says
something is rubbish but is unable to say why, or say anything of use,
then just repeats his lines in different guises, that person is about
as useful as an elephant in a small office. Or a worm in a restaurant.
You're like one that doesn't know how to ask, but you're on the other
side of the fence. You don't know how to answer. You don't even know
what it is that you don't know.. Your guage for not knowing, is you
read it and - for reasons unknown to you - it doesn't click.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Apr 2007 21:26:00 -0700, "
mused:

And there was me thinking it couldn't get any more vague and any mor
einto complete ******** by a troll territory.

Anybody can write what you wrote in response to any post.
You're a troll. What you wrote is rubbish e.t.c.

I asked you to clarify what you wanted, which I don't believe you did.
[...]

Nope, still doesn't appear to be any usable content.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr, 08:34, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

what do you mean? what kind of shop do you mean by a shed? / How
would I find one?

Did you check out the URL I gave you which supplies all the common sorts
of cable protectors in small quantities? And is it what you want?

well, I wanted to know possible solutions.

The stuff on that link looks like a great solution,

I was also told by another, many possible places that he thinks I can
get an AC extension reel. Also great.

So what you and everybody minus 1 who accused me of trolling, posted,
is exactly what I wanted!!

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Apr 2007 04:12:16 -0700, "
mused:

wrote:

what do you mean? what kind of shop do you mean by a shed? / How
would I find one?

Did you check out the URL I gave you which supplies all the common sorts
of cable protectors in small quantities? And is it what you want?

well, I wanted to know possible solutions.

The stuff on that link looks like a great solution,

I was also told by another, many possible places that he thinks I can
get an AC extension reel. Also great.

So what you and everybody minus 1 who accused me of trolling, posted,
is exactly what I wanted!!

To be fair, I will retract my accusation of you being a troll as you
returned to add more confusion, which a good troll wouldn't do.
--
Regards,
Stuart.