Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damage to party wall

Hello all.

Major work is being carried out in the house next door. While doing work on
their wall, to receive a steel girder (I believe), some damage was done to
mine. This was caused by _heavy_ hammering.
Now, is it the preferred way to use a hammer on _a party wall_, or should an
SDS drill (or something similar, and more gentle and precise) have been
used.
This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.
Was that wise? I would appreciate comments on this.
Luckily I was in the room when the plaster started coming off the wall (it's
actually a little more serious than that), and I was able to stop the work
before further damage was done.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.

What the hell is "a young foreigner"? You mean someone with a differing
ethnic background to yourself? Or perhaps you had the opportunity to
examine his nationality documents? Is this another of your thinly veiled
racist posts that develops into a thread where you deny being a racist?

Styx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" writes:
Hello all.

Major work is being carried out in the house next door. While doing work on
their wall, to receive a steel girder (I believe), some damage was done to
mine. This was caused by _heavy_ hammering.
Now, is it the preferred way to use a hammer on _a party wall_, or should an
SDS drill (or something similar, and more gentle and precise) have been
used.
This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.
Was that wise? I would appreciate comments on this.
Luckily I was in the room when the plaster started coming off the wall (it's
actually a little more serious than that), and I was able to stop the work
before further damage was done.

You probably need to contact the BCO as a matter of urgency,
and get a structural surveyor to inspect and say if the building
is still safe to occupy (BCO might do this). I don't know what
the procedure is to stop further work until said inspection, and
supervision is in place, but the BCO or someone else here might know.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Major work is being carried out in the house next door. While doing work
on their wall, to receive a steel girder (I believe), some damage was
done to mine. This was caused by _heavy_ hammering.
Now, is it the preferred way to use a hammer on _a party wall_, or should
an SDS drill (or something similar, and more gentle and precise) have
been used.
This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.
Was that wise? I would appreciate comments on this.
Luckily I was in the room when the plaster started coming off the wall
(it's actually a little more serious than that), and I was able to stop
the work before further damage was done.

It doesn't matter *how* it was done; your wall's falling down because of
their work (whether done correctly or not) so they should make good and,
in the meantime, you should withdrawn consent to further work on the party
wall.

I didn't say that the wall was falling down.

You haven't answered my question/s, but thanks all the same. I'm a
leaseholder (I own a flat), and I've informed the estate manager; so it's
now in his hands.
But I've reason not to trust him. So I want as much information as I can
get.

Sylvain.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
[...]

As I told Owain, I've informed my estate manager (I own a leasehold flat). I
did get the work stopped, and I hope to see the person in charge of the
works. The damage is not as bad as you appear to believe, and I'm sorry if I
didn't make this quite clear (It's not the sort of damage I can ignore,
though).

P.S. What does BCO stand for? And where/how can they be reached?

Thanks.

Sylvain.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:55:59 +0000, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

P.S. What does BCO stand for? And where/how can they be reached?

Building Control Officer, at your local council (prolly in the same office
as the Planning Department)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:04:18 UTC, Styx wrote:

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.

What the hell is "a young foreigner"? You mean someone with a differing
ethnic background to yourself? Or perhaps you had the opportunity to
examine his nationality documents? Is this another of your thinly veiled
racist posts that develops into a thread where you deny being a racist?

Sylvain probably means an English 'yoof', since he's obviously a
foreigner himself!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Styx" wrote in message news:45e4870e.0@entanet...
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.

What the hell is "a young foreigner"? You mean someone with a differing
ethnic background to yourself? Or perhaps you had the opportunity to
examine his nationality documents? Is this another of your thinly veiled
racist posts that develops into a thread where you deny being a racist?

**** off! Troll!

Sylvain.

Styx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.

What the hell is "a young foreigner"? You mean someone with a differing
ethnic background to yourself? Or perhaps you had the opportunity to
examine his nationality documents? Is this another of your thinly veiled
racist posts that develops into a thread where you deny being a racist?

Sylvain probably means an English 'yoof', since he's obviously a
foreigner himself!

It's so easy to be misunderstood. He was a young Polish man (I believe).
What's an English "yoof"?

Sylvain.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:55:59 +0000, Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

P.S. What does BCO stand for? And where/how can they be reached?

Building Control Officer, at your local council (prolly in the same office
as the Planning Department)

Thanks a lot, John. Yours is a useful post, unlike that bum Styx' one.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.

What the hell is "a young foreigner"? You mean someone with a differing
ethnic background to yourself? Or perhaps you had the opportunity to
examine his nationality documents? Is this another of your thinly veiled
racist posts that develops into a thread where you deny being a racist?

Sylvain probably means an English 'yoof', since he's obviously a
foreigner himself!

It's so easy to be misunderstood. He was a young Polish man (I believe).
What's an English "yoof"?

(to you...) a young foreigner!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb 2007 22:19:20 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:35:00 UTC, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

What's an English "yoof"?

(to you...) a young foreigner!

That's racist :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.

What the hell is "a young foreigner"? You mean someone with a differing
ethnic background to yourself? Or perhaps you had the opportunity to
examine his nationality documents? Is this another of your thinly veiled
racist posts that develops into a thread where you deny being a racist?

**** off! Troll!

Sylvain.

Well, I guess there's a first time for everything. However, that still
doesn't excuse you for having to pointlessly mention the possible
national status of an individual when that status, for the issue being
discussed, is *entirely* irrelevant. What difference does it make what
ethnicity the worker is? Do you think that if he spoke Queen's English
and had Caucasian complexion then his technique wouldn't have mattered?

It's not like you don't have a history of such leading racist comments,
Sylvain, such as your ' "Manners maketh man" A short tale. ' post in
this very group on Jan 2nd 2007. What is it, can you just not help but
judge people on what colour their skin is, or what accent they speak with?

If you think that someone pointing out your racist tendencies makes that
person a troll, then so be it - I'll be a troll. But I'd rather that
than a closet racist.

Styx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Styx wrote:

doesn't excuse you for having to pointlessly mention the possible
national status of an individual when that status, for the issue being
discussed, is *entirely* irrelevant. What difference does it make what

Well ISTM that it is relevant. The fact that the worker is non native
and young suggests potentially not only inexperience, but also a
possible lack of familiarity with standard building practices in this
country, and the probably the legislation relating to party walls.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

[...]

That's a much more reasonable reply.
First of all, if I really was a racist in this country, I would hide behind
a nickname, as you do. As it is, my name and other details, are genuine.
I'm sure that there is a valid reason for the way I write (I really can't be
bothered to dwell deeply into it), but it has nothing to do with racism.
I'm honoured that you've remembered my earlier posts.

Sylvain.
Styx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Styx wrote:

doesn't excuse you for having to pointlessly mention the possible
national status of an individual when that status, for the issue being
discussed, is *entirely* irrelevant. What difference does it make what

Well ISTM that it is relevant. The fact that the worker is non native and
young suggests potentially not only inexperience, but also a possible lack
of familiarity with standard building practices in this country, and the
probably the legislation relating to party walls.

John, you're very nearly spot on. That is probably almost exactly what I was
thinking. But then I'm an honest man, with a reasonable amount of integrity,
and I don't feel the need to censor myself (as Styx would like me to do).

Sylvain.
..

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Styx wrote:

doesn't excuse you for having to pointlessly mention the possible
national status of an individual when that status, for the issue being
discussed, is *entirely* irrelevant. What difference does it make what

Well ISTM that it is relevant. The fact that the worker is non native
and young suggests potentially not only inexperience, but also a
possible lack of familiarity with standard building practices in this
country, and the probably the legislation relating to party walls.

That surely implies that a young, native British citizen would
automatically have an innate understanding of building
regs/practises/legislation. Heck, until I actually purchased a house and
started to do DIY, I didn't have the slightest clue what a "party wall"
was -- they don't exactly teach these things in school.

The fault lies with the foreman (or supervisor) for not detailing how
the work should be done, or the company for not giving the worker the
correct tools or sufficient training (yes, I know, training tends to be
woefully lacking in many jobs these days).

My argument is that any worker could have caused the damage, regardless
of ethnic background, if they had not been given sufficient training or
guidance. Additionally, there's no way of knowing (without seeing his
passport or birth certificate) how long that individual has been living
in the UK, or even if he has UK citizenship or not. He may well be a
naturalised British citizen, or he may have even be born here for all we
know. If that's the case, does it warrant calling him a "foreigner" ?
Should we call everyone who has a different accent to ours a foreigner?

Styx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 5:31 pm, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:
Hello all.

Major work is being carried out in the house next door. While doing work on
their wall, to receive a steel girder (I believe), some damage was done to
mine. This was caused by _heavy_ hammering.
Now, is it the preferred way to use a hammer on _a party wall_, or should an
SDS drill (or something similar, and more gentle and precise) have been
used.
This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.
Was that wise? I would appreciate comments on this.
Luckily I was in the room when the plaster started coming off the wall (it's
actually a little more serious than that), and I was able to stop the work
before further damage was done.

I'm not sure of the situation with leasehold flats, but for houses
there would need to be a party wall agreement signed before your
neighbour can do any works affecting the party wall.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damage to party wall FEEDBACK

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

I've looked at the Party Wall Act. It does apply to leasehold flats, but is
not mandatory (there is no penalty as such for not issuing one). However, if
there is a dispute, it will not be in their favour not to have done so.

This morning, the supervisor (foreman) resumed the work and did some more
damage to my wall. I remonstrated with him, and he got the architect to come
and see me. We had a satisfactory chat. I can hear that an SDS drill (I
believe) is now being used. He has assured me that all damage will be put
right.

Sylvain.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in
message ...

wrote:
[...]

Get him (or preferably the owner of the flat) to sign a note to that
effect - these things have a habit of being conveniently forgotton
when they are no longer on site and have been paid. Make sure you see
some identity giving an address where he can be contacted.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev Kev is offline

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This work was being carried out by a young foreigner, without immediate
supervision.

What the hell is "a young foreigner"? You mean someone with a differing
ethnic background to yourself? Or perhaps you had the opportunity to
examine his nationality documents? Is this another of your thinly veiled
racist posts that develops into a thread where you deny being a racist?

Sylvain probably means an English 'yoof', since he's obviously a
foreigner himself!

It's so easy to be misunderstood. He was a young Polish man (I believe).
What's an English "yoof"?

Sylvain.

http://www.diybanter.com- Hide quoted text -

If he had said a cowboy builder, would that have been ok. If the
cowboy had been Polish is that not ok to say so.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kev wrote:

If he had said a cowboy builder, would that have been ok. If the
cowboy had been Polish is that not ok to say so.

Kevin

I don't see why - as a statement of fact - as long as he wasn't implying
that there is an automatic connection between Polishness and being a cowboy.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Styx" wrote in message news:45e563ae.0@entanet...
John Rumm wrote:
Styx wrote:

doesn't excuse you for having to pointlessly mention the possible
national status of an individual when that status, for the issue being
discussed, is *entirely* irrelevant. What difference does it make what

Well ISTM that it is relevant. The fact that the worker is non native and
young suggests potentially not only inexperience, but also a possible
lack of familiarity with standard building practices in this country, and
the probably the legislation relating to party walls.

Heck, until I actually purchased a house and started to do DIY, I didn't
have the slightest clue what a "party wall" was -- they don't exactly
teach these things in school.

So, you admit to doing DIY. When are we going to get a _meaningful_
contribution from you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've never sent a
relevent message to this newsgroup in the last few months, or more. Have
you?

Sylvain.

Styx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in
message ...

"Robert Laws" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 27, 5:31 pm, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

snip

[...]

The flat is my own, all paid for.
The architect has given me his contact details, and assured me that he would
get in touch with the estate manager of the house.
So, that should all be alright.

Sylvain.

AWEM

Another Party Wall question! tecstar UK diy 6 June 9th 06 11:59 AM
foundations next to party wall sm_jamieson UK diy 27 May 18th 06 12:24 AM
party wall [email protected] UK diy 3 November 29th 05 09:15 AM
Boundary wall vs "party wall" (off topic!) [email protected] UK diy 15 August 12th 05 06:49 PM
party wall nthng2snet UK diy 30 July 9th 05 12:20 AM